INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    julie0477~ I was a wreck when I went through Violet's injury care and later having to be put to sleep at the vet. Although I'm thrilled to have little Bonbon, I still feel sad about Violet. I guess it's a good sign that we have feelings! I suppose the good news for you is that it's not likely that your roo had an illness and at least you'll find out for sure. Take care! [​IMG]
    kabhyper1~ I've never had or seen a broody hen, but I'd say Broody! It's very cute how she tucks the eggs under her fluffy skirt.
    Are those handmade drapes with a tiny egg print surrounding Ms. Broody's boudoir?
    [​IMG]

Posted by Sally~ For good reasons too BYC wants posters to stay here and support their advertisers.
    Sally~ I use AdBlock and never see any ads. It's great!! (I feel a little guilty since I'm in the advertising field)

2. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    CRSelvey~ So your husband literally "held down the fort" while you were at the Irish Festival!
    [​IMG]
    Btw~ I like the pergola on the run!
    Thunder Chicken~ Very interesting and humorous story about your Bad Bad Hen. Hope her glasses are rose-colored!

[​IMG]

3. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    [​IMG] It'd be great if the rain would roll off the brim of his hat & land on us -- maybe if he tilts his head just right... I checked the forecast again a few minutes ago & maybe our thoughts of a raindance worked -- there are actually some raindrops showing up for a few days now. Hopefully they won't disappear again!

4. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    I made sure I got it done this afternoon finally. Spinach, lettuce, kohlrabi, kale, chard, bok choy & snow peas. I know some of them might not have a long enough growing season anymore, but even if there's just smaller greens the rabbits can get a small treat and the chickens will appreciate the rest.

5. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Ordinary gravity is not the problem.

It's the sudden spurts of unusually strong gravity that yank things out of your hand that are the problem. [​IMG]

John

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Can anyone tell me what breed these are?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    I was being serious also. I'm posting because I thought the shoe covers would work if you threw them away at the site you wore them and then put on a new set at the next site. If you don't have any of the cool crocks (I don't). Definitely don't want to spread things from flock to flock.
    Love the roof. I was going to use regular asphault shingles, then my DW came home with the cedar shakes. Takes longer to install, but the finished look is awesome. Your DH looks like a stuffed hawk on the roof, taking a break from eating too many chickens,

She has some cute glasses now, eh? I love the drawn in eyelashes. How do they stay on? The specks, not the drawn-on lashes lol. And how hard was it to put them on the hen?

8. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    CRSelvy Love your coop! Goof ball husbands are the best aren't they?

Everyone else. :)
    About the shoe covers. Yes I am serious about them not being effective. At the risk of sounding uppity, please keep in mind I work in a laboratory research environment. So my chicken knowledge may be suspect, by when it comes to keeping germs and bugs at bay I am your girl. The shoe covers in the picture are cloth. That makes them porous. Basically, they are not a good barrier.
    [​IMG]
    You can buy solid plastic covers, but they rip easily. There is the added problem that you have to touch the shoes in order to put the covers on. That contaminates your hands. Then you need to thoroughly wash your hands. Don't cheat and use hand sanitizer. I won't go into it, but that stuff is a waste of money.

So, can you use shoe covers? Sure.
    Are they effective at controlling the spread of disease? Absolutely not.
    Are they better than nothing? Debatable.

I say invest a few dollars more and get some cheap clogs or crocks dedicated just to the coop. Have your visitors switch shoes to enter the coop. Best case scenario, they also step into a foot bath of some sort before entering.

That is my buck fifty worth for you all.

1 person likes this.
  9. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

M2H, I have curtains over all of my nesting boxes for comfort for the hens, and it also keeps the other chickens from sleeping in the nesting boxes. The material is just the little individual squares of fabric you can get pretty much anywhere and I used scissors to shred them a little so they weren't so solid. They seem to keep the nesting boxes cleaner. Plus it helps keep a broody hen feeling secure. I went and checked her this morning and she is in a trance, so I will probably have to pick her up and take her out to do her business today.

Crselvey Your coop is beautiful!

Thunder chicken, have you thought about removing your bully for a week or two, after your little victim is healed and frees up the cage, and re-introducing her? It would definitely put her in a lower place in the flock and maybe she would stop picking. Also she may be bored. I found throwing treats like scratch, or a poultry block in the coop, places to scratch around, keeps them from getting bored. Just some thoughts, I'm new at this. :)

10. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    The curtains are a great idea! I am so stealing it. Thank you.

Congrats on your broody. I am jealous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by