INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

For anyone in the Indianapolis vicinity. A couple of us are planning to put together a turkey poult order to Porter's Heritage Turkeys. They are a great source for rare and heritage turkeys located in Northern Indiana. I'm willing to be the point person on the order. We figure if we pool our order, we can save on shipping and also exceed the minimum order without anyone having to order more than they want. (You can order just one if you want, but bet you can't stop at one....) I'm located in Mooresville, and jchny2000 is in Pendleton. When the poults come in, you can let us know which is closer to you for pick up.

The reason we are doing it now is that he gets a lot of orders, and if you don't order soon, you may not get any fluffy butts until sometime in the summer. He starts shipping in May. There is also a 10% off on the orders if we order soon.

If you are interested, send me a pm and we will work things out offline. Planning to order next week, so its decision time folks. And it is a tough decision...he has LOTS of different types and it makes choosing difficult, you'll want them all. Here is the website if you are interested in looking: http://www.porterturkeys.com/

Thanks for the offer, racinchickins! I'm not in a position to have turkeys right now, but I appreciate having the opportunity.
I LOVE the helpfulness of all the BYCc folk on this board!

I have a few questions about the turkey order. I was going to message you but they are more common type questions. I thought if I posted here it might save you the trouble of multiple messgaes.

When are the baby turkeys expected?
It looks like they are straight run, is this correct?
How can the tiny things be distinguished from one another? If I wanted a blueish turkey and a tiger turkey I think the blueish gray poult looks somewhat different form the others but the tiger poult not so much. I'm hoping poult is the right word, if not replace with baby turkey.
Are two turkeys enough to make a turkey flock? I know you said we could get just one, but you might have been thinking of people that already had turkeys or were going to get some from a feed store.
Lastly are these breeding turkeys or eating turkeys? I understand we could eat a breeding turkey but if I just want to raise them to eat are these the ones I want?

For anyone in the Indianapolis vicinity.  A couple of us are planning to put together a turkey poult order to Porter's Heritage Turkeys.  They are a great source for rare and heritage turkeys located in Northern Indiana.  I'm willing to be the point person on the order.  We figure if we pool our order, we can save on shipping and also exceed the minimum order without anyone having to order more than they want.  (You can order just one if you want, but bet you can't stop at one....)  I'm located in Mooresville, and jchny2000 is in Pendleton.  When the poults come in, you can let us know which is closer to you for pick up.

The reason we are doing it now is that he gets a lot of orders, and if you don't order soon, you may not get any fluffy butts until sometime in the summer.  He starts shipping in May.  There is also a 10% off on the orders if we order soon.

If you are interested, send me a pm and we will work things out offline.  Planning to order next week, so its decision time folks.   And it is a tough decision...he has LOTS of different types and it makes choosing difficult, you'll want them all.  Here is the website if you are interested in looking:  http://www.porterturkeys.com/   

it looks like I am going to have to bow out this time. As of midnight last night I am on furlough because of the government shutdown. I think it would be best if I concentrate on taking care of the critters I already have for now. Hopefully next time.

Chhhhhickens - your conversation with Vicki about video games reminded me of a book I read not too long ago called Ready Player One. You should check it out some time. You'd love it! Its all about the old school video games.

Strombergs isn't exactly a hatchery they are a broker. They use Duane Urch in Wisconsin or Minnesota (not sure which) and he is an actual breeder of show birds. They would come directly from Duane. I was just curious.

Thanks though! If I get enough $.02 I'll have a dollar!!!

By the way...sorry mother2hens...didn't mean to get you in trouble with THE MAN!
sad.png

Little Ameraucana Mom: My cats are house cats and they do catch mice , but they think they are play toys, and half the time let them go. Maybe your cats need to give mine a talking to !!

My cats are house cats, too. I don't let any of our many kitties roam outdoors. And the mice serve as wonderful play toys until they won't run any more. Then the cats are sad.

We had raccoons in our attic eaves. DH made repairs and shut them out. They came back and dug a hole straight through the top of the roof above an unused bedroom. We didn't know until rainwater flooded into the dining room below. What a horrible mess!! Had to replace part of the roof, ceilings, part of a wall, carpet, wallpaper. Ugh!
Now they are in our porch roof. I can see their footprints up the side of the house. Grrrrr! I want to trap and drown them, but DH is too kind. He wants to relocate them to a park only blocks away, which is useless. He is half-hearted about catching them. I found he had set the trap with no bait! Sigh. I'd call professionals, if they weren't so expensive. I need some 'coon hunters!

My brother, a carpenter, is going to turn a backyard shed into a chicken coop for me as soon as he has the time. I want triple pane windows and insulation. How do I provide ventilation in winter without causing drafts? Where should it go? Up high? Down low? Both? I read that at least 1/5th of wall space should be open for ventilation. That seems like a lot in winter. Do I still need that with the deep litter method or with poop boards?
We have nearly an acre all together, but we can't really free range with fence on only two sides of the yard and a big garden taking up a lot of space, so I want to add a ginormous run. Should I add a little run where they could be contained? We will need netting over the entire run for the hawks and owls we have, and buried hardware cloth for the raccoons and 'possums. I can't see the shed/coop from the house and I want a Fort Chicken! Since raccoons and 'possums are nocturnal and the chickens would be in the coop at night, do I need to bury the hardware cloth around the entire perimeter of the run or just around the coop? (Guess I might have chickens that camp outdoors like some of you do; then I'd have to do the entire run.) Do I need hardware cloth around the entire run? Does anyone have an automatic chicken door with a daylight sensor? How do you like it? Questions! Questions!
Anything beyond single pane glass is a waste of money. You have to have ventilation. That instantly overrides the advantages of the triple-pane windows. Get whatever is cheapest.

John

I want to trap and drown them, but DH is too kind. He wants to relocate them to a park only blocks away, which is useless. He is half-hearted about catching them. I found he had set the trap with no bait! Sigh. I'd call professionals, if they weren't so expensive. I need some 'coon hunters!

Hire a professional to trap and relocate DH no less than 100 miles from the house. While he is finding his way back, trap the coons and drown them.

Do not, under any circumstances, drown DH. This will cause all manner of uproar. His mother would probably be distant from you for weeks. Any children that seem fond of him would likely find fault with your actions. Lastly, when his employer starts to notice his absence, they might suspend his pay. This would likely cause hardship for the family.

John

Chhhhhickens - your conversation with Vicki about video games reminded me of a book I read not too long ago called Ready Player One. You should check it out some time. You'd love it! Its all about the old school video games.
thank you, I will look it up, maybe I can buy it on amazon. I love old school video games, but sadly I did not get to grow up with them. They were before my time. But when I find an old school game, I did in my pockets for quarters.
That's awesome! What all did they test for?
I'm not sure exactly what all they test for! I just know that some of the shows I participate in require it. even if I didnt show I would get it done for peace of mind.
Strombergs isn't exactly a hatchery they are a broker. They use Duane Urch in Wisconsin or Minnesota (not sure which) and he is an actual breeder of show birds. They would come directly from Duane. I was just curious.

Thanks though! If I get enough $.02 I'll have a dollar!!!

By the way...sorry mother2hens...didn't mean to get you in trouble with THE MAN!
sad.png

I thought they were considered a hatchery. I know who duane urch is. I didnt know that they got all of their birds from him. ALl your choice, but I would just order directly from him if you want some of his birds. Now you have $0.04 lol!

I have a few questions about the turkey order. I was going to message you but they are more common type questions. I thought if I posted here it might save you the trouble of multiple messgaes.

When are the baby turkeys expected?
It looks like they are straight run, is this correct?
How can the tiny things be distinguished from one another? If I wanted a blueish turkey and a tiger turkey I think the blueish gray poult looks somewhat different form the others but the tiger poult not so much. I'm hoping poult is the right word, if not replace with baby turkey.
Are two turkeys enough to make a turkey flock? I know you said we could get just one, but you might have been thinking of people that already had turkeys or were going to get some from a feed store.
Lastly are these breeding turkeys or eating turkeys? I understand we could eat a breeding turkey but if I just want to raise them to eat are these the ones I want?

I got the following from the website:
They start shipping in May
Only straight run.
Not sure on how they are identified. I'm going to email them on that question.
I think you could do fine with two turkeys. You are correct, when I said one I was thinking of people who already had turkeys or chickens.
These are breeding quality birds, but definitely edible. I plan to do both with what I get especially extra toms. As for raising just for food, I'm not sure you can get any heritage breeds at the stores during chick days. All I saw were BBB and BBW's. These will definitely cost you more than feed store birds. jchny2000 has raised both heritage and broad breasted types, so you may want to get her opinion on them.

Back
Top Bottom