INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    When I was a kid living in Irving, Texas, we had to contend with scorpions that would occasionally get in the house. They liked to crawl into shoes. If we forgot to bang and shake out our shoes, we would get stung.

Mom would take a bottle of ammonia and place the mouth of it over the sting and upend it. It worked great. We used ammonia for all manner of bee, wasp, mosquito, and various other stings and bites. It is effective with them all.

It's too late now to counteract the venom, but in the future, you could pour some ammonia in a bowl and put the bird's foot in that for a few seconds. Might work.

A few years ago, I was talking to a friend. Her little daughter, about 4, was covered with sores. I asked about it. She said it was mosquito bites that she scratched because they itched. The girl loved being outside and the mosquitoes were particularly attracted to her. I told her about ammonia and suggested she slather the child with it each evening when she came in for the night. When I spoke to her a couple of weeks later, she said the girl no longer scratched the "itchies" and all her sores were gone. YEA!

John

2 people like this.
  2. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Just got a response from Porters on how they Identify the poults when they ship. Quick answer, I'm impressed. :

Hello,
    Yes we mark anything that is not easily identifiable by it's natural markings, we put different colored marks on the heads, we do include a packing sheet that will explain what color of marks go with what variety.

Kevin

Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys

1 person likes this.
  3. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana

I have a stick of After Bite and the main ingrediant in it is ammonia. It does work real well for bites.

4. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    I'm not in a position to order turkeys , but appreciate the opportunity. Thanks, jchny2000 and racinchickins! This thread is so friendly and helpful! Folks are downright neighborly here!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  5. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana

that is pretty impressive

6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  7. barb s

barb s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Columbia City area
    Its been awhile since I've posted on here, although I do try to keep up with it. I however wanted to post a couple picks of my broody hen. She's a bantam oeg. She's sitting on 9 eggs 1 of which is hers. She's been sitting on them for a week now. I moved her to her own private nesting box today so that I didn't have to keep moving her to get the new eggs out from under her.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    My DH is actually more of a DDDH. The man is congenitally sweet. It's a detriment when I need him to Clint Eastwood up and assassinate masked mammals, but comes in handy when I ask for something a less sweet man would roll his eyes at - something like...oh, ..say,...a flock of chickens and a coop.

Trapping and relocating DH is a diabolical solution, but I consider the source. Unfortunately, I have no more stomach for drowning raccoons than DH. Too bad my tiny, Irish MIL isn't still with us. That woman would have throttled and skinned a score of them bare-handed before breakfast, then sat down to her tea and rashers. What to do? I say pack their tiny suitcases, buy them train tickets, and send them off to Washington D.C. to infest the homes of the congressmen who have our country all tied up in knots!

2 people like this.
  9. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    It's OK for kids, but be cautious with your chickens? [​IMG]

I dump it in my hand and slosh it on my and my grandchildren with no ill effects. [​IMG]

John

10. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    In that case, provide the relocated DDDH with a goodly supply of PB & J sandwiches for his trip back.

A guy I know had a gripe with the town of Nineveh and, I gather, the people of Nineveh. He live trapped coons and possums near his house and relocated them in Nineveh. Not unlike what you suggest for DC.

I find some merit to your suggestion, but would up the ante to grizzlies, wolves, badgers, wolverines, bobcats, mountain lions, and such. The Feds seem to think that folks in "flyover country" should welcome these critters. They should share in the pleasures. The only problem I have with the plan is that the critters would be corrupted.[​IMG]

John

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by