INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SkinNFluff

SkinNFluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Harrison County Indiana

The basic blood test for indiana shows tests to make sure the birds are Pullorum - Typhoid Clean.

Now if you want to have your birds tested for more stuff (for free) contact the state poultry association and tell them you want to do the t-12 egg test. this test covers the following.
    Agar Precipitation for Avian Influenza Virus
    Plate Agglutination for Mycoplasma gallisepticum
    Plate Agglutination for Salmonella pullorum/gallinarum.

To become NPIP Certified and for shows you only need to have the blood test done for Pullorum - Typhoid

2. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  4. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

5. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Yeah, but it was a great snide comment, dontcha think? [​IMG]

John

6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

7. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Where is the best place to get a good deal on hardware cloth? I am wanting to use it behind the windows in our new coop. Since the windows will not be open in the winter it is not a high priority but I do want to get a good deal.

And am I correct to assume that a raccoon or another animal can climb up to a 5 ft window?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  8. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Originally Posted by Old Salt 1945 [​IMG]
    Mom would take a bottle of ammonia and place the mouth of it over the sting and upend it. It worked great. We used ammonia for all manner of bee, wasp, mosquito, and various other stings and bites. It is effective with them all.

Ammonia is the treatment for jellyfish stings, too. Just "fyi" in case your chickens come in contact with them. [​IMG]

Originally Posted by Old Salt 1945 [​IMG]
    [Ammonia] It's OK for kids, but be cautious with your chickens? [​IMG]
    I dump it in my hand and slosh it on my and my grandchildren with no ill effects. [​IMG]

And I bet you also powder your grandchildren with Sevin dust! [​IMG]
    barb s~ Nice to see your post~ Your hen is either small or those eggs are huge! [​IMG]

9. Delawaremommy

Delawaremommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Just $.96 more!!! And we are both right. After speaking with the operator there, they actually are both! They have many hatchery breeds but the show birds (chicks, ducks, geese and turkeys) are from Duane. Then there are the people that supply them with the doves. I will most likely buy a few from Duane and get a few here locally just to have different bloodlines.

I have a confession to make. I am a bad chicken mommy[​IMG] . The other night I saw feathers growing on Esthers feet. At first I thought they were just stuck cause of walking through fresh pooh, so I plucked them off. Only it turned out to be plucked them OUT! Good thing she still loves me!!After I realized what I had done I washed both her feet in betadine scrub to keep them from getting infected but man do I feel bad!!

10. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey all you egg hatchers!!! How can you tell if an egg is a quitter? Almost all of the eggs the girls are sitting on are developing, but I can't tell which ones I should toss so I don't get a blown up nasty mess. I have looked at pictures of candled eggs, but I can'r make heads or tails of it. lavender is on her 14th day today and Suki is on her 4th. The silkie is sitting on 15 eggs, so I would like to thin that out if there are quitters. (she snuck some in while we were at turkey run) Lavender is still on 12, but I am pretty sure 3 of them haven't developed.\

(Bumping this, I think it may have gotten lost in the speedy vortex that is this thread. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by