INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Just $.96 more!!! And we are both right. After speaking with the operator there, they actually are both! They have many hatchery breeds but the show birds (chicks, ducks, geese and turkeys) are from Duane. Then there are the people that supply them with the doves. I will most likely buy a few from Duane and get a few here locally just to have different bloodlines.

I have a confession to make. I am a bad chicken mommy
hit.gif
. The other night I saw feathers growing on Esthers feet. At first I thought they were just stuck cause of walking through fresh pooh, so I plucked them off. Only it turned out to be plucked them OUT! Good thing she still loves me!!After I realized what I had done I washed both her feet in betadine scrub to keep them from getting infected but man do I feel bad!!

lol. I thouht they also carried hatcherry birds, but was not sure. Oh how sad for Esther. It was a mistake, no harm no fowl. Just make srue it dosent get infected and do not pull anymore feather off :)

Where is the best place to get a good deal on hardware cloth? I am wanting to use it behind the windows in our new coop. Since the windows will not be open in the winter it is not a high priority but I do want to get a good deal.

And am I correct to assume that a raccoon or another animal can climb up to a 5 ft window?
They CAN climb up anywhere they can get a foothold.

Strangely enough, the least expensive I've found it is Ace Hardware. But only by a couple of dollars. There is an online place that sells by the foot. But I imagine it isn't cheap to ship!

For the last few days I have had second thoughts on chickens. I have four sick birds. The one that I got at a swap no longer has the mites or lice or whatever it was thanks to Sevin dust. She still has a respiratory thing. Even though I have kept that chicken away from the rest of the flock, I now have two girls and a Japanese bantam roo that are coughing and sneezing. One of the girls is almost gurgling. The other doesn't sound as bad, but her eyes are matted shut and her face is puffy. The little roo just sounds sad (his crow is always hilarious and I miss it!)
barnie.gif

Right now all I have is VetRx and that is going into the water and I have been putting it under their wings and have rubbed some around the one's face. This chicken never lets me pick her up and I sat and held her for a little bit, helping her eat and drink a little.

I have those three separate from everyone else as well, but not in the same pen as the newest bird.

I am ordering some other med stuff today because our Rural King doesn't carry much and I don't have anywhere else to get stuff in my area (more crops than livestock).

My dad's only question was this: Will the two big laying girls still be good for chicken and dumplings? To which I said, Since your back and hip are bothering you and you didn't go to work today, will you still be good for.... I'll just stop there...

Anyway, it's frustrating to have to quarantine birds and have to do all this extra stuff. My dad started with the chickens and I have added several to his original birds. I brought the work on myself, so I shouldn't complain.

All the rain and humidity aren't helping.

You all are like therapy, I'll be fine later!
he.gif
------------->
yippiechickie.gif

For the last few days I have had second thoughts on chickens. I have four sick birds. The one that I got at a swap no longer has the mites or lice or whatever it was thanks to Sevin dust. She still has a respiratory thing. Even though I have kept that chicken away from the rest of the flock, I now have two girls and a Japanese bantam roo that are coughing and sneezing. One of the girls is almost gurgling. The other doesn't sound as bad, but her eyes are matted shut and her face is puffy. The little roo just sounds sad (his crow is always hilarious and I miss it!)
barnie.gif

Right now all I have is VetRx and that is going into the water and I have been putting it under their wings and have rubbed some around the one's face. This chicken never lets me pick her up and I sat and held her for a little bit, helping her eat and drink a little.

I have those three separate from everyone else as well, but not in the same pen as the newest bird.

I am ordering some other med stuff today because our Rural King doesn't carry much and I don't have anywhere else to get stuff in my area (more crops than livestock).

My dad's only question was this: Will the two big laying girls still be good for chicken and dumplings? To which I said, Since your back and hip are bothering you and you didn't go to work today, will you still be good for.... I'll just stop there...

Anyway, it's frustrating to have to quarantine birds and have to do all this extra stuff. My dad started with the chickens and I have added several to his original birds. I brought the work on myself, so I shouldn't complain.

All the rain and humidity aren't helping.

You all are like therapy, I'll be fine later!
he.gif
------------->
yippiechickie.gif

Sorry about the problems you are having, but you could of spread it even if you are quarenting the on bird. If you were handeling the sick bird and did not take a shower or change clothes or wash hands and so on and then go mess with your health birds you could of spread it. There are my ors as to what could of caused you birds to get it not knowing you set up and rotuine. Another possibility could of been you have 2 identical waterers and accidently swapped their waterers therefore infecting your other birds, all just depends.What you said to your dad sound exactly like something I would say to my dad, we have a very joking relationship so he would of laughed. I hope your chickens get better!
hugs.gif

Originally Posted by Old Salt 1945
Mom would take a bottle of ammonia and place the mouth of it over the sting and upend it. It worked great. We used ammonia for all manner of bee, wasp, mosquito, and various other stings and bites. It is effective with them all.

Ammonia is the treatment for jellyfish stings, too. Just "fyi" in case your chickens come in contact with them.
big_smile.png

Originally Posted by Old Salt 1945
[Ammonia] It's OK for kids, but be cautious with your chickens?
lau.gif

I dump it in my hand and slosh it on my and my grandchildren with no ill effects.
roll.png

And I bet you also powder your grandchildren with Sevin dust!
wink.png

barb s~ Nice to see your post~ Your hen is either small or those eggs are huge!
ep.gif

She's my smallest bird and the eggs are from either australorps or some type of production reds crossed with a wyandotte or maybe but not likely a bantam mille fluer d'uccle. I haven't candled them yet so I don't even know if any of them are fertile. I think I will try to candle tonight although I really have no clue what I am doing.

Time has flown! And they've feathered out really fast! Vastly different experience the second time around with chicks
wink.png

The chicks I got a little over a week ago and I havent had a lot of time to spend with them, I go in the other day and I was suprised how many wing feathers they have. Time sure does fly!

Back
Top Bottom