INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. wheezy50

wheezy50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    Morgan Co.
    On a different note, I had a bantam Cochin go broody about a month ago. After a weeks time I could tell she really wanted to sit on a nest so I gave her some eggs to attempt a hatch.

After 24 hrs another bantam hen decided to sit with her. I had given the first hen ten eggs (which in hind site was probably too many) and now they had the eggs divided between the two. The nest box was pretty good size to begin with and they seem to be perfectly content nestled up together. I put a food and water station in the corner of the coop close and they seem to be using it on their own, although i do usually check on them once a day or two and make them get up and stretch for a min. Sometimes one will have four eggs and the other will have six. Other times they will have three and seven. I even cought one girl sitting on all ten and the other just sitting beside her. I have know idea if this duel hatching method is the best idea but they seem to be doing a pretty good job so far.

This all started two and a half weeks ago, so this Sunday will be 21 days. I randomly chose four eggs and took my first try at candling a couple days ago. I don't know what i was seeing for sure, but they looked a lot like the pics I saw on here of day 12-14 eggs. There was not much to see other than mostly darkness with a vein or two visible. There was definitely a clear bubble/air sac at one end of each egg. Fingers crossed this weekend will produce some new chicks.

2. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I use a little $3 Led flashlight from lowes :). Sounds like the ones with dark masses are your baby chicks. The other was probably infertile. Woohoo babies in two weeks!

3. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    I would guess the rir although my rirs eggs arent quite that dark but they are darker than the others. Another possibility is that your barred rock is actually a Cuckoo Maran their eggs are about that dark. Not sure if I am being much help but that is allI can think of.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  4. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I had my first 'incident' tonight. We were out late at a family function, and when we got home, one of our dogs was out, one of the poultry fences was ripped down, and not a turkey in sight. All chickens were accounted for, but no turkeys.

I did a search, and found 7 turkeys on the other side of the yard perched on either a fence line or the leg bar coop roof. I found another perched on the gutter on our barn roof. One is still missing. I haven't found feathers or blood, so I hope she will turn up. I'm pretty sure our dog is the culprit, and he doesn't have any feathers or blood on him, so i wonder if he was just chasing and they got tangled in the fence netting. Guess the morning will tell. I've got all coops shut up tight, and just have to hope the turkeys are ok till tomorrow.

5. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    I've got a question for those of you with both chickens and ducks. Do you let both kinds of birds hang out in the same run or fenced area? What about sharing coop space? We have 16 ducks (still figuring out how many are drakes) and about 40 chickens (only 1 roo). Our birds are in separate barn stalls, but wondered if they would get along if they co-mingled. I've searched some other posts & it sounds like they could get along, but I did read a number of references to roosters trying to breed the ducks & drakes trying to breed the hens. That makes me have second thoughts about them sharing space/a run. Any thoughts?

6. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Awhile back there were questions on how to set up a little giant or similar incubator. Well I got mine cleaned up tonight from previous hatch and getting ready for lockdown tomorrow. Figured it would be a good time to get some pictures. Now I don't incubate in this one. Only hatch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I place flat rocks in the bottom under the wire floor. I did this to act as a heat sink and help evenly heat the incubator and to get the temperature back up quicker when I open the top. I honestly don't know of it works but it sounded like a good idea lol. Then shelf liner gets placed on top of that. Until the temp and humidity is stable, I have two thermometer/hygrometers in there. The smaller is a remote sensor and the temp and humidity are displayed in my living room for quick reference. The other is placed in the bator so I can read it through the windows up top.

For humidity, I use a food storage container with either a sponge or humidifier wick depending if I'm doing forced air or still air. The forced air uses the sponge and still air I use the wick. I then placed a hardware cloth fence around it to prevent chicks from getting in it and drowning.

To fill the water container I have a 1/4" tubing placed under the sponge/wick and then fed through the top. I just took a pencil and pushed it through a vent hole that was in the corner to enlarge it. This allowed me to be able to fish the tubing through the top.
    [​IMG]

I fill it with a large syringe.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, through one of the vent holes, I stick another digital thermometer probe in there.
    [​IMG]

I've found these guys to be pretty accurate. You find them in both the aquarium aisle and reptile aisle in most pet stores.
    [​IMG]

And that is how set up my LG for hatching.

2 people like this.
  7. barb s

barb s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Columbia City area
    Thank you for your response. She does look an awful lot like the cuckoo marans picture I have been looking at. I will try to get a couple of pictures tomorrow and maybe some one tell me for sure if she is a bpr or cuckoo marans. Thank you again for your help

8. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I have two female ducks with my mixed flock of roos and hens (about 25). I've never had a problem. I think they would probably be fine. The only negative is that I've read if your ducks have access to a water source like a pond or lake they could pick up disease from the wild birds (from the water) and spread it to the chickens. Sounds like that's not the case though. Mine are baby pool ducks :)

9. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

1 person likes this.
  10. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Odor, you can smell a bad egg. 7 days you should be able to see red veins possibly movement, day 14 will be obvious. But unless they have an odor I leave them.
    I haven't used a broody yet, plan to next year tho.
    Go to a room thats not got any light or windows. If you can't use a deep box to block light. candle from the bigger end.
    The led flashlights work very well. a clear egg at day 14 is definitely a no.
    I usually candle at day 14, and at lockdown if that much. The less I touch them, better the hatch goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by