INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

1 person likes this.
  2. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    NOPE never a dumb question! "pullet egg" or some people call it a "fart egg" odd sizes or shapes, its common for a new layer.
    [​IMG]
    ugh!

3. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Its true. And a drake can kill a chicken hen if he mates her, internal injuries. Rooster to a duck is not as dangerous, but the spurs can harm the duck. I have my scovies/pekin in my big coop until my goose/duck coop is finished and 1 muscovy drake, but he is too slow and fat to catch a chicken [​IMG]I am still looking for a pekin drake, but now it can wait til spring.
    oh no I am so sorry. Hope you find your missing turkey.

Sounds like your ladies are doing it as a team! I do hear that happening a lot. The chicks will be well protected. [​IMG] sending good hatching vibes!

4. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Wheezy- I had an EE go broody and everyone added to her eggs then my Cochin decided to help. Mine like yours would switch the eggs and even sides . Finally had 1 hatch and the others were starting to stink so I cleaned out the nest. Between them I think there were 20 eggs or so!! But both took care of the baby!! And both didnt lay for over a month!! This babie has been with the flock the whole time and none of the others have bothered her. She's about 3/4 grown now.

Dog saga- well I think tomorrow's the day! We've tried everything to get my Gracie to pass whatever she ate. So unless she passes it before 8:30 she's off to surgery!! After the recent horse issues and the dog attack and now this...... I'm just about worn out!!

Racin - hope you find your turkey. Let us know! We're your turkeys separate from your chickens now? How'd your dog get out!? Was he in a different yard area than we were at your house?

5. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN

Hopefully your other turkey will show up.

Have you interviewed the dog? Or does he just look at you and wag his tail.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    i no longer have ducks but i used to and they were housed and kept togetjer with my chickens. First off they were raised from hatchlings together. My female ducks always got along with my cjickens. Now they males ducks did try to mate the hens. But they were also cery mean to them. they would grab onto a clump of feathers and not let go. It would be to the point where the duck wouldnt let go and the chicken would be freaking out and we would have to thriw a bucket at it to get it to let go! the chickens avoided the ducks as much as possible. i had a mean rooster at the time that didnt even mess with them. I decided to completly get rid of ducks a little ubde a year ago. O and i did have a male call duck that never dared to mess with the chickens. the mallaed deakes would chase the call duck and his mate. if i ever get ducks again i am only getting call ducks, and dont see me doing that anytime soon. IMO i would not house them together.

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    racin- i hope you find you missing turkey alive and in good shape :)

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    i agree the summer went by too fast! It seemed like i was walking around county fair, then a week later state fair and then a week later it was fall!

9. SkinNFluff

SkinNFluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Harrison County Indiana
    Figured I would post a couple pics showing what I have been working on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Racin
    What's the update? How does the situation look now that it's daylight?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by