INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Very striking!

2. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    No problem, yeah post some pics someone will be able to identify it. I thought my Barred Rock was a Cuckoo but turned out to be a Barred Rock.

3. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Never heard of using ammonia, !! I'll have to try it. Thanks for the tip !1

Eggs look huge for her !! LOL !!

Love your pictures, what pretty birds !!

My daughters rooster use to try to breed her ducks. I have some that all free range together, and none of mine try to breed each other. Of course, I have the smarter duck breed, Muscovy !!!

Love the color, I have paints also.
    Here are some of mine.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    We used to have an apple tree like that. We had too many bees and DH cut it down then burned it. I was so happy. I can't stand bees. Come to think of it just about every real house I have lived in since I was 10 has come with one of those apple trees. They have all been cut down. But I did plant maples in my yard so at least the total tree population won't shrink.
    Thanks for hte info about the turkeys. I was reading that the BBW Toms get up past 40 pounds and a large one could be 50 pounds. That puts a grown one weighing more than my 5 yr old. My 5 yr old can knock me to the ground with a running start when he wants a bear hug. I could just see the tom turkey running towards me. I decided on 2 lilacs and a tiger heritage turkey instead. At least to get started.
    What 24% chick starter do you use? I think my meatbird grower has 22-24% protein but I know it has no meds. Also do the turkey poults like the same temps as the chicks?

5. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Quote:
    Quote:
    thanks so much for your input! I think it probably would be best to keep our separated. I think we have at least 4 drakes and while we probably have enough ducks to keep them occupied, I don't want to take chances with my hens!! If we end up with more than 4 drakes at least one of them will end up in the freezer.

6. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Good news. Once the Turkeys started waking up and calling this morning, the missing one showed up. No idea where she was, but when I started banging around metal cans that I keep food in, the whole flock came running across the yard back to their run and it had all 9 birds in it. One thing I noticed that is different from the chickens is the flock order. With my chickens, my rooster is in the lead. With the turkeys, my two jakes always hang back and let the hens lead the flock.

So I did an official count this morning, and everyone was there: All 51 chickens and 9 turkeys. I also determined how the poultry netting got tore up. found the clip that attaches the netting to the electric charger on the ground. It looks like something was going around the perimeter of the run, and when they went by the charger, they snagged on the cord that runs from the charger to the net clip and pulled the clip off. This meant no charge on the net. I'm going to have to think about something to elevate the charger so that I don't have that vulnerability any more. I still think the culprit was my dog, especially cause there were no casualties. I can totally see him wanting to chase the birds, but not really be interested in killing them, since he has been around them for months now. I would think anything else determined enough to go through the netting would kill at least a chicken. They had access to the coop, since the auto door hadn't shut yet, but none of the birds have a scratch on them.

Bottom line, this was probably good for me because it pointed out some vulnerabilities and issues with my housing and protection without me actually losing a bird.

2 people like this.
  7. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Yeah !!! Glad everyone was ok !!

8. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    ahhh I guess I haven't had problems because my ducks are female. See? That's why I love the BYC :). I know now NOT to add a drake. I was considering it.

9. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Hurray for the turkey! Last night my khaki Campbell did NOT want to be put up and I finally gave up chasing her. I had a dream a giant dog sized hawk came down and I had to fight it off lol. Morning came though and the duck is fine. She sure is stubborn.

10. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by