INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Crowing

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I won't hear the crows as often, I won't see them as I complete errands around the local towns. I will check when I go north to take the children to Chick fil a or when I head east for groceries. I was watching as I went south tonight and there were less than normal. Sunday's we head north east for church so I'll be on the look out then too. Eventually I won't see multiple hawks everywhere I go. There might be a couple that hang around all winter but not a new hungry one every day or even twice a day. We are outside working on our new coop quite a bit in the evenings and on Saturdays too, If I see hawks close by then well they are still here. It is so much a gut feeling too.

1 person likes this.

2. Too Fast

Too Fast Songster

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN

Thanks for the advice, but I am really leaning towards another car. I have been a mechanic since high school, so I can fix auto things relatively cheaply. It'd be more like $1500 to get it back on the road, and that's like wholesale. Plus all my labor, add another $500 retail for that. The guy at the impound lot said a lot of people come on Thursdays at the auction and get cars for $500, so I may try that route. Or other auctions around here. No need to rush into a decision. But **** that idiot who did this, I'd like to tie him to a chair and whip him for about an hour. OK, off my chair now.....grrrrrrrrrrr.

3. PimentoPlymouth

PimentoPlymouth Chirping

Mar 9, 2012
    New member from Terre haute, IN here had my chickens for around a year and a half. In need of a good broody hen if anyone in the area has one they don't want. I'm wanting to hatch some chicks this coming spring. I had a RIR hatch some last year and she was a food mommy hen but a raccoon took out over have my flock.

4. bradselig

bradselig Crowing

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Well, added a new addition to the "flock" today. My brother is in his senior year of college and just doesn't have as much time as he used to, so I've offered to do a long term "bird sitting" and brought home his parakeet, Walter (although Walter maybe a girl). I've had very limited experience with parakeets and typically associate them with flighty, biting birds. This is not the case with Walter. He is very well behaved, even with the stress of the move today. As long as Sigmund, my cat, will leave him alone I think it will work out for the roughly year he will be living here. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Ohh and had 5 bantam Cochins hatch today! Still in the incubator. They will come out and put in the brooder tomorrow, so I'll get pictures them. It also looks like my lavender barred/cuckoo bantam Cochin is actually barred! The breeder said she hatches barred lavenders and plain lavenders so glad that my only chick that hatched turned out to be barred!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  5. bradselig

bradselig Crowing

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Welcome to all the new members! Take a look at the link in my signature (if you already haven't)! There is a list of helpful links as well as a link to our members list. If anyone wants to be added to the list, send me a pm.

6. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Songster

I have two of them. I have had them and cockatiels since I was a kid. If you have questions, I have answers. LOL! I owe you that much for the help you have given me!

7. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Songster

Welcome!

8. bradselig

bradselig Crowing

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Thanks! I know the basics from owning an African grey in the past, but need to read up more on budgie requirements. Mainly feed. Seed was a big no no with the grey (little bit of seed each day was all he got) but this guy is fed primarily a seed diet. My brother has tried to get him onto pelleted but not much luck. He just picks through it for the seed and throws a fit when he runs out of seed lol. I'm not sure if they can have/benefit from fresh foods (pasta, fruits, veggies, ect). He is a treat hound though and loves spray! That is what my brother has used to train him and he only gets it during trainings. He will be fun to have around, just so much different than the African grey! My dream bird is a rose breasted cockatoo!

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    My first 3 I had I got from a guy over by muncie. They were hatchery stock, I just dont know what hatchery them were from. I just bought the one pullet. He had 4 buff pullets and 2 cockerels and a trio of white crested blacks. He probably had more, that just what I saw in the cages.

10. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Songster

My keets are not crazy about attention. I started with one, but felt bad because he seemed lonely. Now that I have two, they only care about each other. I'm good with that though because I don't like only having 1 animal of a species. Mine eat just seed. I get the good stuff from petsmart if Im in fort wayne. My biggest concerns are making sure they have vitamins in their water occasionally, a cuttle bone, sand paper perches, and toys, because they get bored easily. They are 6 feet from the chick brooder, and love the peeps coming out of it. It gets very loud in here! My parakeets still won't eat treats. They are highly suspicious of anything that doesn't come out of the food dish. They do love millet, which is just special treat because it is very fatty. I make sure they are covered at night, and they are happy. Sexing a parakeet is easy. Males have blue or bright colored ceres (nostrils) Females are brown or light pink or white.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by