INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

If the coyote hit passing gear when it noticed you, you have nothing to worry about.

Regardless, running from a predator is not a good idea. That makes you prey in it's eyes.

If a coyote doesn't seem to fear you, pick up a fist full of gravel and/or a stick and walk normally. If it approaches, give your best low-pitched loud growl and throw the gravel. Immediately grab more gravel and face the varmint, acting like you want to fight and hollaring for it to "get out". Predators don't want to fight, they want to eat. Fighting gets you hurt. They will almost always retreat. Look for a stick. Next time, carry a weapon.

John
Thanks for the advice John.At the time I didnt really think, I just wanted to get out of there. It didnt really seem to of noticed us, or at least didnt look at us even though my dog barked quietly. Next time I will be sure to stuff my pockets with gravel to throw.

We had a coyote tonight!! Howling and CLOSE to the house. DH and I went and check the coup and were READY....just in case! We hear them all the time. We are surrounded by woods and farms. But I've not heard one this close!!! It's spooky.

Great. A bad year for hawks and now you're saying you haven't had coyotes close and now you did.

I hope this isn't predictive of the coming winter
pilgrim-with-gun.gif

Great. A bad year for hawks and now you're saying you haven't had coyotes close and now you did.
I hope this isn't predictive of the coming winter
pilgrim-with-gun.gif
See hawks very pretty bad here in spring, but that only lasted about 2 or 3 months. But now hardly see them I have seen two in the last month. i never see coyotes in the winter

danand~ i am surprised i havent heard the cyotes here! might be too windy.
does anyone know where i can send my 15 chickens to be butchered? if it were 1 or 2 i would do it myself, but i am not ready to tackle this many! i am between columbus and seymour.
our farmer finaally harvested his corn fields around us. the kids and i took the wagon out and collected the ears he left on the ground.. i'd say about 2 doz. ears atleast. i'll figure out how to ccrush it before i feed it to the chickens

Does it not snow much in the south? I have never been down south.

We are central Indiana just west of Indianapolis and it's hit and miss. It doesn't seem to stick around like it does farther north. If I had my pick I'd move to Wisconsin or someplace where when it starts snowing it sticks until winter is over! ;)

Last edited:
We are central Indiana just west of Indianapolis and it's hit and miss. It doesn't seem to stick around like it does farther north. If I had my pick I'd move to Wisconsin or someplace where when it starts snowing it sticks until winter is over! ;)

well i have been to central indiana before. Never durig witer though. I love sniw and winter, I am never moving out of indiana, not even out of the county i am currently in. I love it here. Although i could put up with some more snow and cooler summers.

danand~ i am surprised i havent heard the cyotes here! might be too windy.
does anyone know where i can send my 15 chickens to be butchered? if it were 1 or 2 i would do it myself, but i am not ready to tackle this many! i am between columbus and seymour.
our farmer finaally harvested his corn fields around us. the kids and i took the wagon out and collected the ears he left on the ground.. i'd say about 2 doz. ears atleast. i'll figure out how to ccrush it before i feed it to the chickens

I know several up my way but not sure about down there. If you have an Amish or Mennonite community there are often women that do them to make a living. We also have certified butcher shops owned by Amish families that butcher everything for a very good price. You might want to ask around the farm community or farm stores in your area. They often know where to find them.

Back
Top Bottom