INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

[COLOR=800080]minmin[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ I bet that kabhyper doesn't know who Phyillis Diller was! [/COLOR]:lol:
[rule][COLOR=008000]Farker Farms[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ Love your gorgeous, healthy looking horses! I can't imagine having to pay a vet bill for a horse-- my cats are expensive enough. [/COLOR]:/
[rule][COLOR=000080]bradselig[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ Lowe's question please: A few years ago, I bought a 7' GE pre-lit Christmas tree. It came with extra bulbs, small silver fuses for lights, and larger gold fuses for plugs that light up sections of the tree. I need more large gold fuses-- are those sold separately or is the tree outdated where I would not be able to find any replacements?[/COLOR]
Honestly, even of you had just bought it this year we would likely not have the fuse. I don't get out to the christmas stuff that often but I hear that we sell out of the replacement bulbs and fuses pretty quick. I'm on lunch now but I'll check when I get back and let you know.

I would imagine that even if we didn't have the fuse you should be able to find them. I would check a local hardware store as their selection of fuses are much better. When I worked at Ace Hardware we had a big selection of fuses.

We do have an assortment of fuses in electrical department that has the 5 amp fuse that would work. But again take a fuse to a hardware store and you can get just rhe ones you need

So discouraged! We have had pretty cold weather for the last 2 weeks or so and snow on the ground for the majority of it. My welsummers and blue Andalusian had some black spots on their combs. I bought some bag balm, as someone had recommended, and used it. This morning one of my boy's combs is almost entirely black!!! I made it worse!!

I have decided to take the "hands-off" approach w the combs unless I see deterioration or rotting of flesh. I've been afraid that I'd make things worse by doing anything. I'm just observing for now.

I have a feeling that if they are healthy and strong that they will be able to heal on their own. But if I see any weeping or open wounds then I'll have to reevaluate and treat as needed.

This is what my guy looked like yesterday. This is the side I normally see with just a little discoloration:

When I went out to take a photo I got to see the other side which had a blister on it yesterday.

I have a hen w/a very large comb that had black tips on it last year. I didn't do anything for it last year and it never deteriorated or became wet or rotting.

So...just observing for now.

I typically feed the frozen eggs back to the chickens. I mix the eggs, shells, water and some feed together for a treat. Others cook the eggs first.

Any time you want to borrow a RIR rooster, I have 3 and can only have 1 in the breeding pen at a time right now. That leaves 2 to pick from.
What happens if the eggs freeze? Are they ruined?

Quote:
It depends on how frozen for me. once the shell is cracked, I don't feel too great about eating them if there is a single speck of dirt or poo on the cracked shell. Just the thought that the frozen inside broke the shell and was possibly touching the bedding, does me in. It could be the female hormones but me and the children won't touch them. Now if the outer shell is only barely cracked and that thin white layer is not broken, my DH will eat them, not me or the children though. Dh likes fried eggs though so to him it is a waste to give it back to the birds.

So discouraged! We have had pretty cold weather for the last 2 weeks or so and snow on the ground for the majority of it. My welsummers and blue Andalusian had some black spots on their combs. I bought some bag balm, as someone had recommended, and used it. This morning one of my boy's combs is almost entirely black!!! I made it worse!!

I've been thinking about this more and am very concerned about this. Gail Damerow gives directions in her books on how to thaw the comb then says to put on neosporin and keep them separated from the others so that they don't do more damage to it.

I am pretty gun-shy about how or what to do in a case like this....

I am no expert on frostbite but a totally black comb sounds like it may require emergency measures. If he were mine I would probably try to find a vet to advise me on what - if anything - to do in this case.

Hi Everyone!
frow.gif
It's been a while since I've checked this thread!

How is everyone enjoying the winter so far? Ugh. I think it's a bad sign to be sick of trudging through the snow in the middle of December. I'm pretty sure the chickens are sick of being locked up everyday, too. Of course, it is Indiana we live in, isn't it? I've been spoiled by the last couple of winters.

My roosters are also getting terrible frostbite -- just like last year. I decided to put neosporin in my rooster (who had mild frostbite) and it also turned his comb and wattles black. What's the deal with that? I took precautions this year (I thought)...I brought him in when it got 10 or under, I kept them inside on cold/wet/windy days, and finally put something on them. Their coop seems fine - I just don't get the frostbite thing.

BLACK COMB/WATTLES: One of my roosters had HORRIBLE frostbite last year and his comb and wattles turned black, too. He lost the tips of his comb and eventually everything went back to red. It took quite a while, though. I believe the black is dead tissue. Watch it for infection.

I typically feed the frozen eggs back to the chickens.  I mix the eggs, shells, water and some feed together for a treat.  Others cook the eggs first.

Any time you want to borrow a RIR rooster, I have 3 and can only have 1 in the breeding pen at a time right now.  That leaves 2 to pick from. 

they were hard as rock and wasnt going to thaw an egg in the kitchen lol

[COLOR=800080]minmin[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ I bet that kabhyper doesn't know who Phyillis Diller was! [/COLOR]:lol:
[rule][COLOR=008000]Farker Farms[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ Love your gorgeous, healthy looking horses! I can't imagine having to pay a vet bill for a horse-- my cats are expensive enough. [/COLOR]:/
[rule][COLOR=000080]bradselig[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ Lowe's question please: A few years ago, I bought a 7' GE pre-lit Christmas tree. It came with extra bulbs, small silver fuses for lights, and larger gold fuses for plugs that light up sections of the tree. I need more large gold fuses-- are those sold separately or is the tree outdated where I would not be able to find any replacements?[/COLOR]

Lol I'm older than you think. ;)

lol. I dont know who she is

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom