INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Oh it definitely could just be the image...it is always hard to tell but with my own birds I am usually right. Different lines mature differently as well. That particular image just looked especially masculine. I love the boys, so I usually hope for males! The more boys the better chance of getting a superb one to show;-)
As far as the others, I'm not going to hazard a guess....but keep posting pics as they mature!
They seem to change everyday! I like the boys best too. My only puzzle is trying to keep more than one boy in one coop. I have 2 big boys in my large fowl coop that do great together. I planned on keeping all 7 of these chicks since they have no DQ's I want to grow them out for breeding. I don't have breeding pens set up yet, so hopefully my roo Booker will be kind to them when they go into the coop temporarily until I get pens set up. They are still in the house for now. It is way too cold outside for them.

BAD NEWS: I lost my 10 week old CL pullet last night. I'm not exactly sure what happened. My DH found her this morning and said it looked like she had fallen off the roosting bar. It would not be the first time I had a young chicken die of heart failure. Given the hatch rate and the amount of help I had to provide for her to get out of the shell it is not surprising but it is saddening as I had been really attentive to her.
More bad news, I saw coon tracks out behind our property line. Now I need to get the trap reset and relocated. Thankfully the tracks did not come too close to our property but that will only last for so long.
So young! Sorry to hear.

It depends on how frozen for me. once the shell is cracked, I don't feel too great about eating them if there is a single speck of dirt or poo on the cracked shell. Just the thought that the frozen inside broke the shell and was possibly touching the bedding, does me in. It could be the female hormones but me and the children won't touch them. Now if the outer shell is only barely cracked and that thin white layer is not broken, my DH will eat them, not me or the children though. Dh likes fried eggs though so to him it is a waste to give it back to the birds.
Our dogs love fresh eggs & so they get the cracked ones (they think chicken poop is candy so I don't worry too much about the cracks for them). If the egg is not cracked at all, but still about frozen I'll use it myself (won't put it with the ones for sale), since freezing eggs is one way to store the extras. I haven't actually done so myself, but I've read about freezing them in ice cube trays. I'm curious if anyone has frozen eggs on purpose, does it change the texture of the egg at all after it's thawed. Is it best to save for eggs for baking?

That's hilarious!! What a great similarity!!
lol.png
We could have a contest -- who has the best celebrity-look-alike chicken!

I still like the first commercial better.  Even if I do love cats. 

BAD NEWS:  I lost my 10 week old CL pullet last night.  I'm not exactly sure what happened.  My DH found her this morning and said it looked like she had fallen off the roosting bar.  It would not be the first time I had a young chicken die of heart failure.  Given the hatch rate and the amount of help I had to provide for her to get out of the shell it is not surprising but it is saddening as I had been really attentive to her. 

More bad news, I saw coon tracks out behind our property line.  Now I need to get the trap reset and relocated.  Thankfully the tracks did not come too close to our property but that will only last for so long.
Ohh no! Sorry to hear this! I will definitely keep you in mind this spring once my girls start laying and I can hatch a few.

Well, finally got some pictures of the silkies.

This little blue will be going to a new home due to having a straight comb.
1d87fdd9587159d69771e9527e8d5f41_zps4c5aeea1.jpg

Straight comb chick with a white chick
7b8f17a461fafbe4e85fa0a548bc109a_zps5327b212.jpg

Partridge hen
17f805c01e6f4ef26b502a94d9773456_zps382cf4a0.jpg

Another straight comb blue with a roo.
342b2302fde310e65ec7f8f01cd81caa_zpsa5a0a32b.jpg

483a6a1ddc56193b9837524148cb1d71_zps59b1dbcc.jpg

Blue partridge hen
64631c60798814646cff7d0861461865_zps29debb68.jpg

Buff hen and not sure what color you'd call the cockerel next to her
216270d9d171cdfd6b1127f65888d796_zps56002151.jpg

Roo
b6da4f46873357431c3b53e759deb1d5_zps644e4b72.jpg

Group shot
d036577c825584a8b100a4a198d1450d_zps93568415.jpg

Young whites with partridge hen
d3dd5e25bbc0f5b0df2ec6234c330310_zps568d2451.jpg

Young white
deaf084f74caa36d377a1127c671ee01_zps5ecba6b9.jpg

Another of the straight combed chick. I really wish she had the correct comb!
f415ffe928503aeda184200269648967_zps4805c729.jpg

Duelling Mercedes and Jaguar ads:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/....html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003&ir=Weird+News

Note: No chickens were harmed in the making of these commercials. ;)
HouseKat ~ Haha I remember that first commercial because we've done that experiment with Nene before.
How is your coop project coming along?

SallyinIndiana~ Sorry to hear about your pullet! A couple of weeks ago before our ice and snow hit, I called my cat from the back door late one evening and saw him standing by the chicken coop. I did a double-take and realized it was a raccoon! There's no way he could have gotten in the coop, but it was a good wake-up call for me to realize they are still lurking around. I hadn't seen any since spring. I just told him to go away and he did. What type of trap are you using?
bradselig ~ How can you even see a comb under all that fluff? Haha

Thank you.  I hope lots of females are hatching this spring.  Not that I need a whole lot but having only one is just asking for trouble.

Your silkies are lovely.

Thank you!

Brad - where are your CLs from originally?  Are you hatching your own eggs on the CLs?
yes I will be hatching my own CL this year. All my birds are unrelated to each other. Didn't mean it to happen that way but I guess that will help with hatching my own birds. My original hen is from crazypetlady/babymakes6. The rest are from various people. I have a pullet from trey on eBay, a rooster from a lady in Ohio, etc. Total I have 2 Roos and 3 hens/pullets. One roo is a backup, but might likely house some Marans in with him to get Easter eggers.

[COLOR=000080]HouseKat[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ Haha  I remember that first commercial because we've done that experiment with Nene before.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=8B4513]How is your coop project coming along?[/COLOR]
[rule][COLOR=006400]SallyinIndiana[/COLOR][COLOR=8B4513]~ Sorry to hear about your pullet! A couple of weeks ago before our ice and snow hit, I called my cat from the back door late one evening and saw him standing by the chicken coop. I did a double-take and realized it was a raccoon! There's no way he could have gotten in the coop, but it was a good wake-up call for me to realize they are still lurking around. I hadn't seen any since spring. I just told him to go away and he did. What type of trap are you using?[/COLOR]
[rule][COLOR=A52A2A]bradselig[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ How can you even see a comb under all that fluff? Haha[/COLOR]

Haha. You gotta move it out of the way

Back
Top Bottom