INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hrm...they were so pretty I just thought they must be fancy! I think I can manage cutting and stapling! I don't have the kind of built-in nest box area she has and I really think I'm going to use that trio of shelves now (after schlepping them around for ten years, I might as well), but I might be able to put a board on top and work this out. Hrm...
yesss.gif
Leslea here are our curtains, just tacked up material. The little squares you get at walmart work great. Once I tacked them up, I cut them into strips for easier access.

Last edited:
Your coop is too lovely.  Great colors.  

I salute you for that digging prowess.  Maybe if I put all the boys to work at it...what time of year did you dig?

I definitely am not even trying to convince hubs this is a money-saving mission. Spreading out the cost of materials breaks it to him more gently, though! 

This morning he said "You know those chickens will probably grow on me, too, because the chicks will be cute and I love animals."  I foresee a man with a silkie on his lap!  The more chicken dudes he sees on YouTube the friendlier he seems to be to the project.  I guess he just thought of BYC as a bunch of crunchy housewives (like me).

I've met Old Salt and Too Fast. They fit the definition of crunchy housewife even less than I do. Hatch master Bradselig doesn't either. Your hubby will be in good company. You may end up with an enabler, that's when chicken math strikes hard!! Lol.

[COLOR=800080]lilmizscareall ~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Haha You'll have to take a video if they perform a duet! [/COLOR]:D [rule][COLOR=333333]Re: Broody Bonbon[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Leahs Mom posted: It is possible. I'd just keep watching her and see what happens. If you could get her to do her laying inside rather than outside, that would be better so that she doesn't have to retreat from the weather.[/COLOR] [COLOR=4B0082]Leahs Mom[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~If Bonbon really becomes broody, then I would relocate her to a safe place. My Four Mean Hens have been laying in this plastic box in the garage instead of the coop. All six chickens were having a ruckus this morning about the box. The orps seemed to contemplate using the box, but the others seemed to be protesting. DH noticed the Orps browsing other areas of the garage . . . I'll have to take a look around later. It would be nice if they followed directions from chicken books and laid in their nesting boxes! As I've said before, they like to use a favorite place for a while and then find a new favorite place, much like cats do.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [rule][COLOR=333333][COLOR=000080]Snowy Owls[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=333333][COLOR=8B4513]I posted a link recently about Snowy Owl sightings in northern Indiana. Now we have one way down south. Wildlife officials just relocated a Snowy Owl from our airport (not far from me) to an area farther north. Airport people kept having to scare the owl away because they aren't afraid of airplanes. Apparently Snowy Owls that are experiencing their first winter can get lost and end up in unusual places. They're larger than Great Horned Owls.[/COLOR] :th [/COLOR]
The fabric is doubled flannel that was left over from a kilt I made dh one year. I pulled it tight around the dishpan, marked it, stitched it, then cut holes for her feet. It doesn't go all the way to the back so the shavings in the bottom of the dishpan are catching the poo. She can just hang around resting her hip/leg as needed. I just checked her and she's still in the same position. I will taker her out tonight or in the morning to test the leg. She's enjoying the food delivery service I think.

Snowy Owls
I posted a link recently about Snowy Owl sightings in northern Indiana. Now we have one way down south. Wildlife officials just relocated a Snowy Owl from our airport (not far from me) to an area farther north. Airport people kept having to scare the owl away because they aren't afraid of airplanes. Apparently Snowy Owls that are experiencing their first winter can get lost and end up in unusual places. They're larger than Great Horned Owls.
th.gif
There were two spotted in all of the Louisville area and one died after Raptor Rescue had started nursing it back to health. They are starving, inexperienced hunters. Did you spot one? Or just worried about your flock?

Quote: I looked them up on google to see their images. They remind me of ghosts. If they are starving it can be a sign of overpopulation. One of the sites I was reading listed their predators as few and far between, eagles and overpopulation are their two biggest threats.
Personally I won't mind it a bit if there is a decrease in the hawk and owl population. Not an extinction but a decrease. With these birds being at the top of the food chain for the most part, and the protection of the governments, it seems to me that there are too many now. But they have been protected for almost 100 years. It is not likely to change anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom