INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Well, Ive had a bad good day...LOL that doesnt make much sense does it? Started out by Crook crying like crazy this morning squawking and fussing so much I picked her up to my chest
and held her for a while and she loved it
ya.gif
. My Momma stopped by and laughed at me for being such a softy and hooked on "something" just a day and a half old
love.gif
. The DSL guy showed up
and I now have internet access, NO MORE I4s auto correct errors!
wee.gif
YAY! After Lunch the little girl I babysit started a fever, started at 99.4, an hour later was 102.6. her Mommy came home after two calls
somad.gif
(I would have bn there in 10 minutes). I went to chk on little Crook and get her to feed her and give her a dose of vitamins, she died
hit.gif
. My "D"H came home and
immediately "demanded" something to eat...what the H..., days just gone down hill from there. Im ready for a vacation...does anyone have a spare room??? Lol. grrrrrrrrr!
My goodness. Talk about a rough day. (((((((((hugs)))))))))))

I'm still impressed by how fast things are going and how the cold is not slowing you down one bit. Our new run is 90% done but the cold is preventing DH from finishing it the rest of the way. If hawks were nonexistent, the run would be usable. But the government got involved. I'm not a big fan of the government getting involved in as many things as they do.

I have special food for the days my DH comes home hungry and cranky. Not great food just stuff that I can give to him and say here you fix it yourself and not feel too bad. Typically either sandwich stuff or canned pasta or frozen leftovers. Even then if the first words out of DH when he gets home are about what he will be eating next, he knows I will not be happy about it. At least for now he has started asking "so what do I need to do extra for the chickens today" or the next best thing "do you have MORE chicks hatching today?" It has been a while since I have hatched chicks, at least a week :) but it did not take DH long to notice the newly filled bator.
Ditto everything Sally said. (impressed with the pallet coop and my husband requires frozen pizza some days when I'm busy writing)

Last edited:
I'm going to be grouchy today. Another craptastic Saturday weather-wise! Still NO progress on the run. Can you even believe this? We are at like 38 days until our chicks arrive. I thought we would at least have the wood and have it treated but noooooooo. Maybe tomorrow we will at least *buy* the wood so it can sit in our garage and make us feel guilty for not working on it. You how know these things tend to do.

In other news, though, we stopped by Orscheln in Corydon today. Just me and my pre-teen son. When he saw the chicks he went gaga. He's very excited now, whereas before he was kind of so-so about them.

The only bad side of stopping in is seeing how many filthy & sick chicks were there. It breaks your heart. There was one with such a bad case of pasty butt I wanted to say something, but then once I got looking, there were soooooo many! Very sad!!! And then there were two that I think were goners.

I foresee a time when I can't go to the feed store without rescuing a few, myself. Maybe in 2015. It's just too sad.

I never saw sick chicks at the Orscheln in Charlestown. And if they had pasty butt I don't know if it would have jumped out at me before bc I didn't know what I was looking at.

Is that normal or did I just happen upon a really yucky scene?

Got the treadle feeders built this week! It has been a LOOOOOOTTTTTT more work than I thought it would be but they will each hold more than half a bag of feed, and with no loss to birds and mice it will last quite some time. I also built three nipple waterers. So far only the Marans babies are using the new waterer. I removed their bucket after putting the new waterer in, showed 5/8 the nipples and then according to everything I have read they should be able to figure it out pretty quickly due to natural curiosity and the red nipple color. Today everyone except the Marans are drinking out of a yucky puddle instead of the waterer....
he.gif
I will spend some more time out there tomorrow when it is nicer to see if they have figured it out yet but I already carried 5 of them over to the waterers, flicked some water out and put their beaks in the water several times. My chickens are morons. I may have to put the buckets out there for a bit each day until they get used to the nipples.

Here are my three new treadle feeders! They step on the front and the lid opens over the food. They are weighted to open to around 2 lbs.

Would you be speaking of Camp Friendenswald? I remember helping to remove one of those girls cabins. That is one of my favorite places to be! I am originally from Berne.
Sure am! That's one of the 2 girls cabins that were left. About 3 years or so ago in the camp newsletter they mentioned there were a couple of cabins left. So we contacted Justin W. about them. They ended up wanting to use the front of one of them to redo the gift shop in the dining hall -- don't know if you've seen that renovation or not. My husband swapped doing the architect drawings/plans for the gift shop in exchange for the other cabin! Of course our free cabin was just the pile of wood for the walls. We built a floor, put on a roof & got windows from the Habitat ReStore. We decided not to add up how much our free cabin cost us! But it's cool -- the interior of the walls still has the graffiti that campers wrote & engraved. My husband, Tim, grew up going to Friedenswald every summer & also worked as a counselor many moons ago. Our kids love going for summer camp now too & have gone to snow camp with youth group the last 2 years. It is a great place!

Got the treadle feeders built this week! It has been a LOOOOOOTTTTTT more work than I thought it would be but they will each hold more than half a bag of feed, and with no loss to birds and mice it will last quite some time. I also built three nipple waterers. So far only the Marans babies are using the new waterer. I removed their bucket after putting the new waterer in, showed 5/8 the nipples and then according to everything I have read they should be able to figure it out pretty quickly due to natural curiosity and the red nipple color. Today everyone except the Marans are drinking out of a yucky puddle instead of the waterer....
he.gif
I will spend some more time out there tomorrow when it is nicer to see if they have figured it out yet but I already carried 5 of them over to the waterers, flicked some water out and put their beaks in the water several times. My chickens are morons. I may have to put the buckets out there for a bit each day until they get used to the nipples.

Here are my three new treadle feeders! They step on the front and the lid opens over the food. They are weighted to open to around 2 lbs.

very nice feeders!

I think it's carrot but not sure. The photo was something she saw somewhere that didn't clarify.

I was wondering if I could figure out how to do the insides like deviled eggs without too much damage to the outside. They'd sure be cute on the table but not sure if anyone would eat them just plain or not. (I would :D )

If your family likes pickled eggs you could do that first...then they aren't just plain!

he.gif

Very impressive!

Hey kab sorry I took so long to reply. I'd feel really bad about taking Gus he's so gorgeous. However, what about a stud service type dealy, lol. It wouldn't be til F3 that we could get consistent results but I'd be willing to split the chicks with you or something along those lines and you could 'loan' me Gus for a month or so until I got some good fertile eggs. Then I would need to 'borrow' him again next year lol...gosh I just couldn't take him though. Too bad chickens can't be insemination like cows lol.

I'm ordering some hens from chicken hill and then I found her blue partridge brahmas and got hit with the love bug. She ships a minimum of 6 and will include 1 free of each breed I buy ...but I can't take 8 more birds. Would anyone be interested in taking some of these? Blue laced reds and blue partridge brahmas...straight run. I know I will want a blue and splash hen and maybe 2 blue partridge hens but I couldn't keep any more, so that's at least 2 of each...I'd have to grow them out to see what sex they are but they're super pretty.

Then of course part of me thinks I might be trying to do too much all at once lol. And if anyone wants to order so we can split shipping that's cool too. :D.

http://www.chickenhillpoultry.com/bluepartridge

Hey kab sorry I took so long to reply. I'd feel really bad about taking Gus he's so gorgeous. However, what about a stud service type dealy, lol. It wouldn't be til F3 that we could get consistent results but I'd be willing to split the chicks with you or something along those lines and you could 'loan' me Gus for a month or so until I got some good fertile eggs. Then I would need to 'borrow' him again next year lol...gosh I just couldn't take him though. Too bad chickens can't be insemination like cows lol.

I'm ordering some hens from chicken hill and then I found her blue partridge brahmas and got hit with the love bug. She ships a minimum of 6 and will include 1 free of each breed I buy ...but I can't take 8 more birds. Would anyone be interested in taking some of these? Blue laced reds and blue partridge brahmas...straight run. I know I will want a blue and splash hen and maybe 2 blue partridge hens but I couldn't keep any more, so that's at least 2 of each...I'd have to grow them out to see what sex they are but they're super pretty.

Then of course part of me thinks I might be trying to do too much all at once lol. And if anyone wants to order so we can split shipping that's cool too.
big_smile.png

http://www.chickenhillpoultry.com/bluepartridge
We have some of Gus' kids right now, it may be easier for you to take one of his sons. :) They are pretty boys.

Back
Top Bottom