INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hi All - I'm new to the forum and to raising chickens. I'm in Southern IN near Louisville, KY. So far, I have 4 RIRs, 3 NHRs and a bossy mutt hen. I still want to get BRs and BOs and who knows what else I'll end up with before my hubby cuts me off.
big_smile.png

Hi and welcome! LOL @ getting cut off -- I happened to be in TSC over the weekend with my son and husband and he caught me looking at the chicks - just as I was turning to walk away (they didn't have what I was looking for) the sales person came by and asked if I needed any help and before I could even open my mouth he pops off with, "NO - we have all the chickens we need" --- oh, foolish, foolish man..............

I'd be interested in buying any extra blue partridge you end up with. I just put 7 eggs of those in the bator. Adding to whatever I end up with would be great.

Ok so if you are definitely 100% sure you'd be willing to buy any extras (including roos?) Then I will go ahead and purchase them and grow them out til I can sex them. Now I just need to find a home for the extra blrw. Any chance you'd want those too?

I think I might put the blue laced silver project on hold until next year or maybe the year after as I just don't want my hands in too many pots. I also think I want to build a bigger stationary coop and maybe a tractor for breeding. And I have to do all this in a way that doesn't totally alienate my suburban neighbors. I think it is going to be more difficult anyway, as I would be working with really only a trio. Same thing with the blue partridge. I love the way they look but keeping pullets only seems slightly senseless as basically I'd be keeping very expensive chickens that are only good for their eggs since I won't be a to show them.
Argh sorry to just unload on this thread. I feel really pulled in so many directions on this. I finally found my passion and I simply don't have the space to do everything I want to do. I used to breed Birmingham Rollers, good ones, and I loved that as a kid. This reignited that...but I'm living on a third of an acre. The law is on my side as long as I keep the noise down in the early morning or late night, but I still can't have 100 chickens on my small lot, nor a bunch of breeding pens. So frustrating.

I wonder if there is any market for a blrw x blue partridge brahma cross...

Hey kab sorry I took so long to reply. I'd feel really bad about taking Gus he's so gorgeous. However, what about a stud service type dealy, lol. It wouldn't be til F3 that we could get consistent results but I'd be willing to split the chicks with you or something along those lines and you could 'loan' me Gus for a month or so until I got some good fertile eggs. Then I would need to 'borrow' him again next year lol...gosh I just couldn't take him though. Too bad chickens can't be insemination like cows lol.

I'm ordering some hens from chicken hill and then I found her blue partridge brahmas and got hit with the love bug. She ships a minimum of 6 and will include 1 free of each breed I buy ...but I can't take 8 more birds. Would anyone be interested in taking some of these? Blue laced reds and blue partridge brahmas...straight run. I know I will want a blue and splash hen and maybe 2 blue partridge hens but I couldn't keep any more, so that's at least 2 of each...I'd have to grow them out to see what sex they are but they're super pretty.

Then of course part of me thinks I might be trying to do too much all at once lol. And if anyone wants to order so we can split shipping that's cool too. :D.

http://www.chickenhillpoultry.com/bluepartridge
I'd be interested in going in on the order as well, depending on where you are located. I thought they were all sold out though for the year. I'd want the blue gold partridge brahma.

Ok so if you are definitely 100% sure you'd be willing to buy any extras (including roos?) Then I will go ahead and purchase them and grow them out til I can sex them. Now I just need to find a home for the extra blrw. Any chance you'd want those too?

I think I might put the blue laced silver project on hold until next year or maybe the year after as I just don't want my hands in too many pots. I also think I want to build a bigger stationary coop and maybe a tractor for breeding. And I have to do all this in a way that doesn't totally alienate my suburban neighbors. I think it is going to be more difficult anyway, as I would be working with really only a trio. Same thing with the blue partridge. I love the way they look but keeping pullets only seems slightly senseless as basically I'd be keeping very expensive chickens that are only good for their eggs since I won't be a to show them.
Argh sorry to just unload on this thread. I feel really pulled in so many directions on this. I finally found my passion and I simply don't have the space to do everything I want to do. I used to breed Birmingham Rollers, good ones, and I loved that as a kid. This reignited that...but I'm living on a third of an acre. The law is on my side as long as I keep the noise down in the early morning or late night, but I still can't have 100 chickens on my small lot, nor a bunch of breeding pens. So frustrating.

I'll definitely buy any including Roos. But not interested in the Blrw. It's the Brahmas I have a soft spot for.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to get rid of the BLRW. They have a stunning look and are sought after quite frequently

Had a better day today, Thank God! Over did it on reorganizing and cleaning things up around here. My daughter and Granddaughter have moved in with us so needless to say my chicken room has just been turned back into a bedroom. I had to move two brooders out of the house and into my storage building and then set them both back up again. Then move the Captains bed with trundle out of DH's side of building into the bedroom (after vacuuming, dusting and washing windows), set it up and make the bed. Then moved a Loveseat out of my den and put it in the room so she has seating if friends come over. Oh but wait...the chicken room was also my little Michaiah's playroom (she loves the baby chicks and its a good life lesson for her to watch them grow and change), so I had to move all of her books, craft stuff, toys, babydoll crib and stroller and "kitchen" out of the room. My Den is now her playroom. Oh I also had to remove a chest freezer out of the den and make room for it in my mudroom/laundry Room. Im sitting here in my Lazyboy feeling the back and leg muscles throbbing in protest and content that I only have one big job left to do tomorrow, cleaning the chicken, duck and Silkie coops. but I'll have lots of help with it...my son and his kids are coming for dinner, I will put my three granddaughters to work...LOL.
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom