INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

When I get the coop done what's the best way to intraduce my chicks to it from the brooder? My chickens are free range. I'm thinking of a temp run for awhile until they get the hang of going in and out of the coop. Any other ideas on how to transfer from brooder to coop?

You've probably posted photos so I apologize in advance for not seeing them if they're there.... But what is your brooder like?

Y
You've probably posted photos so I apologize in advance for not seeing them if they're there....  But what is your brooder like? 
ya I've got pics of it on here somewhere. Basically it's a 4'x8' with 2.5' sidewalls. I've got it covered with framed hardware cloth. So it's a large brooder.

Tomorrow I will be setting A load of Quail Eggs From Jchny2000 I am so excited for round two with the incubator. :clap I have decided Just for fun I will also put some of my Eggs from my 2 bantam hens in the incubator as well.. This will be fun Because I have no Idea what I am going to end up with.. Possibly some of you will have some Ideas of what can come out of this cross.. I have a normal size Barred Rock rooster who has got ahold of my two pet bantam hens. I am unsure of the one hens breed but I have a picture of her so maybe someone knows what she is.. The other bantam hen is a D'Uccle or something like that is the name. I will post pictures. . THis is the Bantam hen I am unsure of the breed of. this is a picture of a bird that looks nearly exactly like the one I believe is a D'uccle. The Rooster is a normal full size Barred Rock any guesses on the outcome?
Good luck hatching! I'm sure someone has answered you by now but your unknown I do believe is a Golden seabright *sp?* I don't own any but have seen them at shows. So stinkin' tiny...lol...cute!

You've probably posted photos so I apologize in advance for not seeing them if they're there....  But what is your brooder like? 

Have they already been out with the others? If it's just the chicks you're moving out there then just keep them locked up for 3 days in the coop ...of course still feed/water...they should with no problems go in at night after that. Always what I've done or else you'll find them huddled on the ground somewhere at night and have to put them up...given you can find them.

Now if you have older chickens out in that coop then it's a whole different conversation. .

Have they already been out with the others? If it's just the chicks you're moving out there then just keep them locked up for 3 days in the coop ...of course still feed/water...they should with no problems go in at night after that. Always what I've done or else you'll find them huddled on the ground somewhere at night and have to put them up...given you can find them.

Now if you have older chickens out in that coop then it's a whole different conversation. .

They have not been with my older layers. I've got 5 red sex link's I'll be rehousing into the new coop also!! Should the older birds go out first? And then intraduce the chicks? Or opposite that? Maybe all at once or will there be a war between them? Should I keep the older birds seperate all together and just let the chicks get to adult size first? Sorry about all the questions! Just want it to go smooth!

We lost our turkey hen today. Tom wanted to mate, she didn't, he didn't care, cornered her got her down and proceeded to try. He slipped and ripped her open but good as she still was trying to get away. Had them separated, he flew over the fence I'm guessing. And now that I'm thinking about it, he probably got on his roost and jumped over the fence.

We decided to cull her as her whole left side was open under her wing. It also looked like I missed a puncture from when he did this earlier in the week (we found her laying upside down, unable to right herself, she had some bloody spots on her face and snood and some on her right wing), as she had infection in the right wing/chest area. She also had some blood clotting internally, so we opted not to put her in the freezer. She was getting ready to lay, she had 6 large eggs all lined up ready to pop out and lots of little ones.

She weighed in at 36 lbs dead weight, with a decent amount of fatty tissue. I really didn't think she was that large. Maybe they were BBB after all. Tom is huge and after this latest escapade, is now limping. He will be culled in the next couple of days. I'm scared to see how much he weighs.

If I ever get turkeys again, it will be from a breeder. No more hatchery. Tom was not a very nice bird. Hoping to have better luck with the "nasty" bred out of them.

Glad and jealous at all the hatching taking place, coops going up, I love it spring is officially here!!

No new birds for us this spring. Maybe next spring. We are getting 1 doz eggs a day, every day out of 17 layers. Can't ask for more than that. I am giving the extras away, and still have 8 doz sitting on the counter atm. I probably need to start charging for them, so our feed is paid for.

Deb
I am sorry for your loss. Had no idea that turkey mating could be so violent.

The little bantams
Peanut ..... OEGB

Bandit ... barred bantam cochin that I am positive is a roo, no little girl chicks like people as much as he does. He is in my business constantly

Einstein .... white crested polish. named for her smarts. She kept flying out of the brooder and couldn't get back in, so I gave her my Jack Russell's couch steps to climb back into the brooder. She figured them out the first time she flew out. It took my dog a week.

Kiwi bantam EE.

Little Poe. OEGB. She reminds me of a raven.

Pumpkin. Gold laced bantam cochin. Very sweet. Llittle girl I believe.

Bandit likes to photobomb
These are darling pictures! Loving lil Einstein!

Here is pic of my coop and my layer boxes
Love your idea for laying boxes! Perfect size and easy to clean out.
thumbsup.gif

So bummed. .. tending to the hatchlings and noticed my Olive Egger is looking to have a crossed beak! Sigh... WTH!! excuse the language! but gosh I just hate that! And if I had to guess they all look like boys! I'm happy to have gained a GCM boy and some BCM boys ..though I rather have girl OE as my other came out with a single comb ... the pea combed one is tge one with the crossed beak...not what I wanted
I had a silkie chicken (6 months old at the time) that was developing the cross beak. I trimmed her beak so that the upper part didn't go below the bottom part and it seemed to fix the problem, she hasn't had signs of it since. Since then though, I've been trimming all of my chicken's beaks as some of them don't seem to break off as easily as others. Hope that helps you.

First sign of spring in the yard yesterday after work. I have crocuses, daffodils and tulips, only the one crocus is blooming and I can't even see the sprouts from the other bulb plants. Was so happy to spot this though!

They have not been with my older layers. I've got 5 red sex link's I'll be rehousing into the new coop also!! Should the older birds go out first? And then intraduce the chicks? Or opposite that? Maybe all at once or will there be a war between them? Should I keep the older birds seperate all together and just let the chicks get to adult size first? Sorry about all the questions! Just want it to go smooth!
In the book Raising Chickens For Dummies, they suggest you should keep chicks away from larger birds until they are of a similar size. Smaller ones tend to get picked on by larger birds. When first introducing new members to an established flock, they recommended letting the birds see each other but not touch-like putting the new ones in a cage within your coop for example. I did this when introducing members to my flock, I let the new birds free range around my chicken run. Then a couple days later, I let them all free range together and kept an eye on them to make sure no one was getting picked on too much. I free ranged them together every day for a week before integrating them together (this was after an 8 week quarantine). I found out one of my chickens was much smaller and was getting picked on a lot by the other hens. She went back into the separate enclosure with a couple of buddies who didn't pick on her. After she got a little larger, I was able to integrate her into the flock seamlessly. Hope this helps, that book has been a lifesaver for me.

@raisinemright

I'm not sure I'm clear on your situation yet so forgive my questions that might sound like I'm asking the same things.

-Are there birds currently in the coop you're moving the kiddos to?

ETA: Just sent a pm :D

Last edited:
No, the layers are in a smaller coop inside my barn, it sits right next to the large brooder. So the birds know each other. But have not been in contact. The coop I'm building is going to be new to everyone. My layers are free to come and go out of the barn at will. I'm wanting to move all the chickens to the new coop when it's done.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom