INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

So, does anyone know who has guinea keets in Southern Indiana? I think my local feed store gets them but they may make you buy 12-15 and I don't want that many. Thinking after having two snakes in the yard today I could use a couple of guineas. The first one we only noticed after the dog killed it. Here's the 2nd one: I would rather buy from someone off the board if I can, if it's not too much of a drive. Thanks.
Ohdeargod!!!! What IS that??? I mean what kind of ewwwwwwww wild snakes freak me out!!!

Well it's been a busy weekend. we finally got the permanent doors on the coop after a year of having a hideous old brown door on it. DH got the in-barn coop built sans door. We are getting that this week. My roosters are ticking me off. They are tearing my girls up awful still. I don't know what to do. They both are very sweet to people and each other and the hens in general, but the over mating is getting old. Maybe I should put them in a coop together for awhile and give the girls a break or something. The next couple of weeks are going to be crazy. We have alpaca shearing coming up and I feel like I'm not getting anything done that I need to. Anyway, hope everyone had a nice weekend. Here's some pics of ours.

The in-barn coop

Our former koi pond becoming a flower garden

Some of the farm

New coop door on side to replace the old ugly one

If anyone ever wanted to know what alpaca fleece looks like before shearing, here you go. They aren't fat. Is all fluff!

And some of the fluffy butts.

And finally I chose which boy to keep from my last hatch. It was hard to choose but I like him best for some reason.

Okay now that I hijacked the thread, Im going to go eat dinner. :)
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
this is what happens when i look at all your pictures Kab!!!!!!! That alpaca fiber is gorgeous!!!!!!and i love love your fluffy butts!!

Anyone close to Bargersville willing to come look at my rooster's foot and help with treatment if it is bumble foot?

The barn cat got treated for fleas and ticks last week but I just found a tick in his sleeping area. I looked over the cat closely and did not see any others. But still I'm a bit freaked as we know someone who got sick from a tick bite.

Last edited:
I've only been raising chickens for about 1 1/2 years now and have a question ... we just got some galvanized steel pipe that we are going to use to build our chicken run that will surround our bird shed. I want to paint both the shed and the pipe before we begin construction on the run. Is there any kind of paint that I need to avoid? In other words, is there any kind of paint on the market that could potentially be harmful to chickens?

Thanks for any helpful information!

On a side note ... here is my happy yard sale find from this weekend - a little barn that was built for child's play and has now been converted for use as a nest box:

I've only been raising chickens for about 1 1/2 years now and have a question ... we just got some galvanized steel pipe that we are going to use to build our chicken run that will surround our bird shed. I want to paint both the shed and the pipe before we begin construction on the run. Is there any kind of paint that I need to avoid? In other words, is there any kind of paint on the market that could potentially be harmful to chickens? Thanks for any helpful information! On a side note ... here is my happy yard sale find from this weekend - a little barn that was built for child's play and has now been converted for use as a nest box:
I like it but you probably want to raise it off the ground. The floor will last longer and it will discourage rodents.

Hey all! I've been getting caught up with all things chicken here. Seems like everyone's doing farely well.

I've been keeping busy with my flock(s). The 6 teenagers are free-ranging most of the time now. I have 3 young-ins in a grow-out pen that is close to the teens so they can meet and get used to each other. I have my one meat bird in with them. I had them in the heard for the first time last week and she mothered them! It was adorable. This meat bird is the sweetest thing. She follows me around and when I just sit in the yard she comes up and sits at my feet. And in 5 weeks I'm supposed to butcher her.
1f622.png

Chicken math struck today. I went to Rural King to get some things and didn't even need to go by the chicks, but of course I did and for the first time my RK had bantams. So I got some! I'll have to post pics tomorrow so I can get an idea of what they are. I'm up to 16 chickens. I don't think I have any Roos!

If anyone has a Roo they are needing to sell/rehome let me know. Two things: 1. Preferably not further north than around Bloomington and 2. I would mostly want a Marans or an EE Roo.

I'm watching CL and the B-S-T forum on here.

Hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful weather! Hopefully it stays like this for a good while.

I will PM you.

Back
Top Bottom