INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I like it but you probably want to raise it off the ground. The floor will last longer and it will discourage rodents.

Thanks. You can't see it in these photos, but it does have little wheels on the bottom that raise it up a tad off the ground. But you're right - it would probably do well to be raised a little higher - especially since we live in a high water table area and experience flooding a number of times throughout the year. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks. You can't see it in these photos, but it does have little wheels on the bottom that raise it up a tad off the ground. But you're right - it would probably do well to be raised a little higher - especially since we live in a high water table area and experience flooding a number of times throughout the year. Thanks for the idea!

Oooooo it comes with all the accouterments lol.

So, I've been observing my birds as they get settled in, and I've got some peck-order stuff going on. I have read up again on it, and im pretty sure i know whats going on, but i wanted to to run it by the Voice of Experience (that's y'all) in case im way off base.
My barnyard mix, Penny, is number one for sure. The two comets and the two e.e.s, who already know penny, stay well out of her way. The two orps, who are each twice as big as penny but are new birds to her, do not seem intimidated by her. they go where they want, sometimes following her and sometimes paired up by themselves. The smaller 4 stay out of the orps way too, but the big girls have shown no aggression at all.
The possible issue is that Penny has been pecking at the orps, and everyone else, as they're roosting down for the night. She'll be the first one on the bar, and the next chicken who tries to fly up and sit down gets pecked. The smaller birds just fly off and try sitting somewhere else, but the big orps don't run from her. They just sit there, getting pecked. I let it go for a minute, but it was alarming and I stepped in- probably a dumb noob mistake- and picked penny off the perch and set her on the floor. After giving me the evil eye for a minute, and probably trying to decide whether she could take me on, she flew back up and sat down between the orps, and did not resume pecking.
I'm figuring Penny feels like the bigger birds may be a threat to her status, so she's trying to put them in their place. They don't seem to be interested in challenging her, or backing off either. So my thought at this point is it will probably all sort itself if I leave it alone, and I should just watch everyone for injuries, in case it does escalate.
Oh, and here's another funny thing- the white EE keeps trying to stick her head under the gray one. If I didn't know better I'd say it looked like she's trying to nurse. I think she's probably looking for comfort and protection? She's also one of the most vocal, and she'll coo and purr and perch on my hand and let me pet her.
Does anyone else handle their chickens like parrots? I had each of them but the big orps perched on my hand or arm with a standard pickup, and none of them, even penny, seemed to mind. I think they were as surprised as I was that it worked!
Okay, enough new owner babbling. Thank you all for your gracious patience. ;-)

Last edited:
So, I've been observing my birds as they get settled in, and I've got some peck-order stuff going on. I have read up again on it, and im pretty sure i know whats going on, but i wanted to to run it by the Voice of Experience (that's y'all) in case im way off base.
My barnyard mix, Penny, is number one for sure. The two comets and the two e.e.s, who already know penny, stay well out of her way. The two orps, who are each twice as big as penny but are new birds to her, do not seem intimidated by her. they go where they want, sometimes following her and sometimes paired up by themselves. The smaller 4 stay out of the orps way too, but the big girls have shown no aggression at all.
The possible issue is that Penny has been pecking at the orps, and everyone else, as they're roosting down for the night. She'll be the first one on the bar, and the next chicken who tries to fly up and sit down gets pecked. The smaller birds just fly off and try sitting somewhere else, but the big orps don't run from her. They just sit there, getting pecked. I let it go for a minute, but it was alarming and I stepped in- probably a dumb noob mistake- and picked penny off the perch and set her on the floor. After giving me the evil eye for a minute, and probably trying to decide whether she could take me on, she flew back up and sat down between the orps, and did not resume pecking.
I'm figuring Penny feels like the bigger birds may be a threat to her status, so she's trying to put them in their place. They don't seem to be interested in challenging her, or backing off either. So my thought at this point is it will probably all sort itself if I leave it alone, and I should just watch everyone for injuries, in case it does escalate.
Oh, and here's another funny thing- the white EE keeps trying to stick her head under the gray one. If I didn't know better I'd say it looked like she's trying to nurse. I think she's probably looking for comfort and protection? She's also one of the mist vocal, and she'll coo and purr and perch on my hand and let me pet her.
Does anyone else handle their chickens like parrots? I had each of them but the big orps perched on my hand or arm with a standard pickup, and none of them, even penny, seemed to mind. I think they were as surprised as I was that it worked!
Its so hard not to intervene when you see the pecking order happening before your eyes, isn't it? We saw our top hen, Partie, get on top of #5, Nellie, and try to tear her apart for a few seconds and it was so hard not to pull Partie off. Especially since Nellie is a chicken with a physical disability. But she survived and pretty much knows her place. They had 2 solid months of harsh winter in the coop together so I'm sure some things happened that I am glad I missed...

You pretty much answered your own question, of not stepping in unless there's blood. I'm sure more experienced people will chime in, but I would try to watch instead of act, next time. Trust your own instincts though, because you will get to know your birds and their personalities and habits.

Oh, and here's another funny thing- the white EE keeps trying to stick her head under the gray one. If I didn't know better I'd say it looked like she's trying to nurse. I think she's probably looking for comfort and protection? She's also one of the mist vocal, and she'll coo and purr and perch on my hand and let me pet her.

I never let penny be aggressive in front of me. Since I kept her in a tractor with a mixed age flock I just wouldn't allow it. She never really injured anyone of mine but mine all hot out of her way, too. Personally if I saw it, since the orps aren't challenging her, if she continues to peck simply making a loud noise and saying no loudly and firmly has worked for me. Chickens are actually pretty smart and can be trained. Some behavior is ok and natural including this but they can learn that some things aren't ok, at least in front of you. That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Watch this saddle feathers to grow back on gandalf. Pointy and fine is boh.

Anyone close to Bargersville willing to come look at my rooster's foot and help with treatment if it is bumble foot?

The barn cat got treated for fleas and ticks last week but I just found a tick in his sleeping area. I looked over the cat closely and did not see any others. But still I'm a bit freaked as we know someone who got sick from a tick bite.
I've treated bumble foot before on one of my hens. both feet actually. But I wouldn't be able to stop by until maybe tuesday night.

Quote: The pecking order is a difficult thing and roost preference showcases it at its worst. I basically describe my birds bedding down for the night as a cage match, and this is with a flock that is well established with no recent changes. If I didn't know better, with all the squawking and carrying on, it would sound like a predator is in with them. I've seen all of the behaviors that you describe, and my advice is to let it be unless someone is showing signs of injury. I'm probably going to have to re-home my two polish girls because the other like to pick their crests off, even until they bleed. I'm trying the no-pick stuff, but I don't think it will help long term.

Oy, I have got to start replying to posts as I see them! I just had to skim through the last 50 pages to pick up all the things I wanted to reply to! :th
A few pages back someone asked about freezing eggs, so I thought I'd share my experience. I tried the ice cube tray method, and there were three problems. First, the eggs I used were grocery store white graded large, and each egg does is significantly larger than an ice cube. so, depending on the size of your eggs, you could end up freezing mostly yolks and have a lot of whites left over. second, the texture of the eggs was radically different after freezing. The whites were stringier, I don't know how else to describe it. the yolks took on a grainy, granular chunkiness that no amount of beating Could cure. I found them difficult to use even for baking, and the only thing they were good for was scrambling. I too have a lot of experience with wedding and special occasion cakes, and the frozen eggs didn't blend well in o the fine-grained batter of a light cake. third, a freezer bag full of egg cubes contains a lot of air, which equals a lot of freezer burn. eggs that stayed frozen for more than three or four weeks I had to throw out. I never tried other methods, so I don't know if there another, more successful way. but those are my results. Your milage may vary. on a more positive note, ask me some time about making your own vanilla extract. higher quality and 500 (not a typo) times cheaperthan store bought. :)
Thank you for your input! I really want a way to preserve my eggs for the winter--was hoping freezing would do the trick, but it sounds like it might not work out so well after all! Any other input on the topic? (I hope I didn't miss any when I was skimming!)
Hello again everyone! I finally got the chance to come back to the forum. I don't know if anyone even remembers me but grad school and two jobs started to get in the way (pesky responsiblities) so I had to take a break.
[COLOR=800080]Oh my goodness-- speaking of screeching, I checked on my girls yesterday and my Penguin ("sister" to Pipd's Anonca?) was in the coop, sitting. Stripe jumped in and walked over to her and Penguin started GROWLING at her...it was so funny. I have heard other calls but this was a different one. Stripe finally gave up and left. [/COLOR]
Hey, glad to see you posting again! :D My first thought when I saw your post was to ask how Penny was doing! Rangi's protective of her nest, too, although she usually only starts pecking when it's me checking for eggs! :mad:
The 3 month olds. 3 boys and 2 girls Cockeral right after dust bathing so he's a little dirty Cockeral 2 Cockeral 3 Pullet 1 Pullet 2
Silkies are my nemesis as far as sexing them. I don't see any difference between the males and females here. :lol:
I've heard beekeeping is popular in Fort Wayne, they hold a school there once a year for people to get certified and that's how my DH got his. Honeybees are not aggressive but they can be curious. Mostly they are busy and don't want to bother with getting in your way. So winter, spring and summer they are pretty chill. In the fall though, if you get close to the hive, you will hear them buzz loudly and if you enter the hive without protection, don't say I didn't warn you! Outside of fall I don't always wear protection-just hang out with shorts, tank, flip flops or whatever. They may land by or near you to check you out but as long as you don't have dark clothes, strong perfume or shiny metal on, they move on quickly. You know how watching chickens can be therapeutic and very relaxing? It is easy to go into a meditative state of mind while watching chickens and honeybees. Honeybees are very methodical, you can watch the inner workings of the hive just by sitting in front of the hive for a while. Not that I'm laying down in full gear for hours on end, but they are really cool to watch. I'd say your neighbor is pretty normal. :)
Ah, thanks for posting this as well! I never really thought much of bees until I asked about them here!
can anyone tell me anything about Silver Sebrights?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/sebright https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/348031/sebright-thread I don't have any experience with them, but I was interested so I read through a lot of the Sebright thread. From what I gathered, they have a very broad range of temperament, from lap-chicken to unmanageably aggressive. But I have that impression of most breeds.
It's true, most breeds do vary. I think, though, most of the variability in personality comes into play with hatchery stock. I was just reading a review the other day about Barred Rocks and the person thought they were horrid and mean. My BR girls are a bit pushy, but they're so sweet and cuddly! I was shocked to see such remarks about the same breed! On the topic of Silver Sebrights, I can't say a whole lot because my three arrived as adults from what was clearly an abusive / neglectful home. They are very shy, but from how they behaved when they arrived and the impression I got of their previous owner, I can hardly blame them. No one should ever do anything like this to a chicken, much less a Sebright bantam!:
This is Frannie, by the way, and she will live out the rest of her life being spoiled (albeit from afar) in my free-range flock. :)
Glad your feeling better! Someone should invent a spur holster or sheeth for Roos! Good luck with Gus
Thanks! I think I'm going to use a cut off wheel and trim his spurs down. They aren't that long, just sharp. I "candled" his spurs tonight, and they are completely clear almost to the leg, so not must risk of bleeding thank goodness. Maybe if I keep them short they wont grow as long and sharp. You tube has some pretty bloody spur removal methods, so I'm leaning towards the cut off wheel so it will cauterize while it's cutting. Wish me luck lol. :thumbsup
Yikes, I know this was a while ago, but I hope it went well! A long time ago, we decided to trim the spurs on my oldest boy, Toes (don't ask :lol: ), and didn't realize that their spurs had a quick in them. That was not pretty.
:frow Hey guys!!! Terribly busy week, hoping to catch up a bit tonight. [COLOR=FF0000]IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT[/COLOR] :ya [COLOR=FF0000]chickenfest is approved[/COLOR] :celebrate I have the smiles and approval of my gracious campground owner, Dave. More details coming!!!!
:weee Can't wait! I'm hoping I can make it this year, but that's going to depend on the date! :fl
Oh, I forgot to ask everyone about this: Has anyone had any hens who grew spurs? My cousin (see previous post) found one of his hens who has grown spurs. He got a picture but hasn't posted it on FB yet- when he does, I'll ask him if I can share it here.
I have several hens that have spurs. Most of them grew them when they were older, but Huka, my less-than-year-old silver Lakenvelder, has fully developed spurs as well and grew them when she was quite young. Rangi also has spur bumps and she's the same age as Huka.
Well it's been a busy weekend. we finally got the permanent doors on the coop after a year of having a hideous old brown door on it. DH got the in-barn coop built sans door. We are getting that this week. My roosters are ticking me off. They are tearing my girls up awful still. I don't know what to do. They both are very sweet to people and each other and the hens in general, but the over mating is getting old. Maybe I should put them in a coop together for awhile and give the girls a break or something. The next couple of weeks are going to be crazy. We have alpaca shearing coming up and I feel like I'm not getting anything done that I need to. Anyway, hope everyone had a nice weekend. Here's some pics of ours.
How many boys do you have versus the number of girls in your flock? You may just have too many boys for your flock size. I'm having to put Po aside when the girls aren't out to free-range because he's wearing out the feathers on the 4 or 5 hens that will actually submit to him. :/ I guess spring is in the air? I just had to bust two broodies as well. :rolleyes:

Now, from my homestead. :D I have some positive news! Rangi and Roha are buddies again! :celebrate They spent the afternoon free-ranging together, just like old times! I'm so happy to see them getting along again!

Now poor Rangi's getting her feather's worn down by Po. :barnie Poor girl can't catch a break!

I have two more weeks of classes and then I'm free for the summer! And three weeks from tomorrow, we head out for chicks! :weee The TSC we go to for feed got their last order of chicks in last week, so I'm not going to have any way of getting my chick fix in until my own babies arrive. My internal crazy chicken lady is dying to break loose and buy out the last of the chicks there. :lol: Gotta stay strong...

Anyway, I'm up waaay too late on a school night, so I'd better get going to bed! Beautiful pictures (except the chicken butt ones--sorry, can't say those were beautiful :lol: ), welcome to everyone new, and I love all the coops being built. I think that covers everything I didn't quote. G'night, all!

ETA: Don't mind my smiley abuse here. I seem to use more smilies the more tired I am. :oops: Good night, this time for real!

Last edited:
Hi guys
frow.gif
Regarding our first Chickenfest this year... We need a planning committee! Do please jump in and PM me if you want to help.

LEARNING? Do we want a short learning session? If so, what topic?
I will need to get everyone's thoughts on what if any learning demonstrations we would like to have.
Fermenting Feed is always a big topic. Processing quail has been mentioned.
What do YOU want to learn? Lets vote! Please PM me your most wanted learning experience and we can tally the totals!

FOOD and DRINKS? I would love a pitch in! Thinking hot dogs/burgers.. I make a pretty popular pulled pork BBQ.
Thoughts...IDEAS PLEASE...
No alcohol, this is a family event. There is also a playground next to the barn in the valley.

DATES? Here is where I really want input soon! It Will be on a Saturday no matter what.
When are the finals, state champ games, etc over. What time of year is better for everyone during the summer?
I will need to submit 3 dates that are NOT holiday weekends for barn rental. Dave's family comes in on holidays so the barn is booked.
I want to make this DO ABLE for as many members as possible, so please send me a personal message to get things started.

SWAPS, TRADES AND SALES
I see no problem in doing chicken trains, swaps and whatever can be worked out that day.
All birds will be the owner's responsibility. I can put up an awning for shade, but doubt Dave will allow them inside the barn.
Anyone that has an awning will help a lot to keep the birds shaded.

Liberty, IN
Will be getting the physical address, camping info to all the state parks nearby shortly.
Its a beautiful Lake, and a lot of fun for a weekend family outing.
The parks book up fast so I want to be sure we plan well in advance if anyone wants to camp and have a quiet weekend.

Chickens for sale? We are wanting some on or about May 12th. we are in So. Illinois near Princeton, IN Thanks...we can pick them up.
sue giebler ~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread!
welcome-byc.gif
I was a little confused about who you were referring to in your posts, so I edited them to show your question/information in case anyone from your area who reads this can help you. I've bought three chickens from chickenscratchpoultry.com in McLeansboro, IL. I liked that I could drive there, and they are very nice people. You could check them out online to see what's available.
Btw-- We have a few out-of-state honorary Indiana members, so you are welcome to join us anytime!

Hello
just found this thread, I'm in Markleville... close to Anderson. I have LF Brahmas. I'm adding Blue and Buff Orpington's to the flock, they are 3 weeks old and I have 5 blues with 12 brahmas do to hatch tomorrow.

Dish chickens ~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread! You have beautiful birds! We're glad you found us!

To any new posters or lurkers ~ Please see information about our great thread on page 2629 post 26284.
hoosiercheetah ~ Enjoyed your photos and descriptions! Your head hen reminds me of my crazy RIR head chicken, Nene who is very self-important. She sleeps in a little nook at the top of the inside coop box door. Since the door wood is narrow, I added some foam pipe insulation tube to make it more comfortable for Her Highness.
I went out to open things up this morning and my babies spent their first night on their roost!!! Woohoo!!! They are almost 10 weeks and had insisted on sleeping in a chick pile next to the feeder. They were using the outdoor roost and jungle gym just fine, so I know they got the concept prior to this. One more week of quarantine on my new rocks and ee's and then life will get a bit simpler for me!!!

On another note, one of my horses (old man at 25 years old) has been stressing me out for months. I have been really struggling to keep weight on him and he just hasn't had any appetite. This winter was especially difficult, he was dropping lbs like crazy. I have been really worried. I have tried a bunch of different feeds and supplements and FINALLY made some progress with a feed he jumped on yesterday! I am hoping i am turning a corner with him now that he has shown some interest in food! I wish I had to work this hard to put weight on ME! I know we only have our animals as long as we have them, but while I have him I will put everything I have into keeping his quality of life good!
ChickCrazed~ It's so nice to hear about the care you've given to your horse! They are wonderful animals.
Congrats on your intelligent chicks getting the hang of the perch --your babies are growing up!

Bedtime Drama
My poor Blue Splash English Orp from Kiniska who was raised with her brother (now at jchny's) and three Silkies from bradselig is so confused at bedtime. She really wants to be on the perch like a normal Orp, but the Silkies who are like her babies want to sleep in the shallow Rubbermaid tote. The Orp (who has yet to be named because I want a British name, but find something wrong with every possibility) is torn between the perch and the box. All of her stress came to a head tonight when she started flying into the window screen separating her from my flock of five mean hens. I removed the screen to see what was going to happen, and she marched right up the steps to the coop box, much to the dismay of the five mean hens. They couldn't believe their eyes-- especially when she got up on the main perch right in the middle! Immediately she was pecked from all sides as I tried to shield her from the pointy weapons. Then she flew up to join Nene on her special top of the door perch. Bad idea! With one major peck, the Orp was knocked off the door top. She decide to go back to her part of the coop with the Silkies, but was obviously not happy about how things turned out. She kept readjusting herself in the box with the Silkies who wondered what had just happened. Of course, I feel guilty that I raised such different breeds together and confused both of them. If we have some breaks in the rain tomorrow, I'm going to work on flock integration. I don't think Nene and the mean hens will be on the same page, though!

Meanwhile Bonbon (another English Orp, but a bantam who settled for a French name) no doubt heard all the ruckus since she's housed a few feet away in her own little coop. When she hatches-- on approx. May 3 - 5, we'll have another pecking order / flock integration fiasco.
roll.png

family tradition ~ Your cute little boy looks so happy with Beautiful Belle! Interesting breed. I think you had mentioned that you're a scientist/geneticist -- genetics relating to humans, chickens, dogs? Just curious. I was born that way.
tongue.png

chick rookie ~ Yes, I received your PM -- glad you like your new avatar.
smile.png

Originally Posted by leslea
My chicks come a week from this coming Tuesday.
love.gif
wee.gif
love.gif
My youngest son (the model with the door) says to me "I hope mine is alive when it gets here." I guess I have been to frank about the dangers of shipping. Oh, well, I guess he is "prepared" just in case.

leslea ~ Your handsome son looks like he's confident about raising chickens-- as long as they arrive alive. He can take it from there!
kabhyper ~ You always have such beautiful animals pictured in your idyllic setting. I agree with Backyard Bitten!
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom