INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

We all doing lots better now. Some homes are not going back up but many have. We had lots of help in town for clean up and it's looks so much better!!! We were one of the lucky ones only roof and siding damage.

Do you guys vaccinate your hatched chicks at home for merek's? I have seen the vaccination sold at TSC, but looked like a bottle of about 1,000 doses. Does it go bad? It would take me forever to go through all of it

My current adults and hatchery chicks all have been. I do plan to buy the vaccination and do my chicks also, but I will do some shopping on the price. If you are looking into it, you could split the cost with someone if you don't think you would be able to use the whole bottle. That's a lotta chicks!

I thought I've read something about the dangers of bringing vaccinated chicks into a flock that hasn't been vaccinated? I can't remember exactly what it was but I think once vaccinated they could become a carrier of the disease and give it to the unvaccinated flock. I'm assuming since most hatcheries charge extra for vaccinating, most sold at retail stores are not vaccinated?

.​
Vaccinating for Mareks with the Mareks vaccine : Vaccination should take place as close to one day of age if at all possible,but may be done at any age as earlier discussed. Mareks vaccine is unique in that it does not stop a bird from becoming infected with the virus,but it stops the formation of the Tumors that are caused by the Mareks virus. Birds that are newly vaccinated should not be exposed to adult birds for at least fourteen days to allow the vaccine to take hold. The vaccine comes as a two part vaccine. One bottle contains a small freeze dried wafer which is the actual vaccine. This is a Live Virus vaccine and can not be saved once it is mixed. Once mixed the life of the vaccine is approximately two to two and one half hours. The second part of the vaccine is a bottle of diluent which is 200 cc/ml of extender. It is not just water but a broth so to speak of special growth media for the Vaccine Virus to survive on during mixing and vaccination. I would suggest to you that you split the vaccine into four equal parts so that you may get four uses out of one bottle of vaccine. Cut the small vaccine wafer into quarters as best as you can.Use care not to contaminate the Mareks Diluent. Never actually open the bottle but use a clean needle and work through the rubber stopper and draw what you need from that. Always check the Diluent bottle for contamination before using: cloudiness or something growing in the bottle. If the Diluent is contaminated or you are unsure discard the bottle and get a fresh bottle of Diluent before proceeding. Take the large Diluent bottle and transfer 50 cc/ml into a clean baby food jar or similar glass bottle. This bottle must be glass. Now take the 1/4 vaccine wafer and mix with the 50 cc/ml of Diluent in the baby food jar and you are ready to vaccinate. Remember to immediately put the remaining Diluent and the small bottle of Vaccine back in the refrigerator. You are now ready to administer the Vaccine. The dose is .2 cc 2/10 cc under the skin of the neck of each bird.Remember to keep track of time so that you don’t use Vaccine that is to old. Putting the mixed vaccine bottle in an ice bath will have some value in preserving the life of the mixed vaccine.
MIXED VACCINE CAN NOT BE SAVED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES EVEN IF YOU FREEZE IT

I saw an egg rock! I am in lockdown as of today, got them all situated and ready. How long from rock til pip or hatch?
Bnunes~ Iam hatching buff orpingtons, but this is my first hatch. I am just south of columbus.

most of my haches occur on the night of day 18. I usually wake up the morning of day 19 with chicks. But I have had many hatch on day 20 as well. Once they pip it could take another 12 hours before they hatch sometimes under 12 hours. Some of mine will pip and a few hours later they are out. Some will pip and several hours they will pip. So what im saying you never know when they will hatch. LOL

Back
Top Bottom