INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I saw an egg rock! I am in lockdown as of today, got them all situated and ready. How long from rock til pip or hatch?
Bnunes~ Iam hatching buff orpingtons, but this is my first hatch. I am just south of columbus.

most of my haches occur on the night of day 18. I usually wake up the morning of day 19 with chicks. But I have had many hatch on day 20 as well. Once they pip it could take another 12 hours before they hatch sometimes under 12 hours. Some of mine will pip and a few hours later they are out. Some will pip and several hours they will pip. So what im saying you never know when they will hatch. LOL

Do you guys vaccinate your hatched chicks at home for merek's? I have seen the vaccination sold at TSC, but looked like a bottle of about 1,000 doses. Does it go bad? It would take me forever to go through all of it

As of right now. I dont vaccinate. I dont even like medications for my self. Seems like as soon as i get a vaccination i get the virus. LOL I just keep my flock clean and make sure they have a healthy diet and are healthy.

I have a could birds that I need to sell, please make me a reasonable offer.
I was give a male Yellow Golden Pheasant, unsure of age, he can be flighty. He has a crooked toe on one foot, but it doesnt bother him, he can still run like crazy. I have him in a large rabbit hutch right now and he is doing great and beautiful to look at, but I am not interested in rasing Pheasants.

I also have 2 Barred Rock Roosters that will be 1 yr in April. Something got into my coop and got 4 of my hens, and roughed up some of the others. The rooster's combs are still healing but they seem fine.

I am located in Owensville, which is about 30-45minutes from Evansville.
smile.png

Welcome to the thread RuralMama! I'm not too fa from you.. originally from Princeton, I now live in Velpen, IN.. Pike County. We have a members list you may want to check out.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Auj_Vtm33rSpdC1LT3NiWkd0eGVkdnJHRm9Gcy1GNGc&usp=sharing
Let us know the type of birds you have and we will list them on the list.

Crafty chick...I'm interested in ornamental layers. Not ready to start hatching anything yet. Figured I would just have some chicken fun and try that later maybe. Also interested in finding some Guinea keets if anyone has any let me know... Please

I don't have keets, but I have 2 adult males you can HAVE.

As of right now. I dont vaccinate. I dont even like medications for my self. Seems like as soon as i get a vaccination i get the virus. LOL I just keep my flock clean and make sure they have a healthy diet and are healthy.

Amen to that Cluck! I don't take vaccinations either nor will I add medications to my birds. All my birds are healthy and strong, Like you said, the key is cleanliness and good diet.

Sounds good cluck. I've been keeping up on the coop and the brooder. I was thinking, if Ihatched from my own birds I shouldnt have to vaccinate. Besides, we were raising them to eat, so all the more not to shoot them up.
Mine free ranged from 8 am til 7 pm. Boy were they happy! I checked on them every 15 min it felt like. They roamed into the field, on the deck, with the cats, all over. I will feel bad when we leave tomorrow afternoon for a few days. I will let them out early again if its not windy.

The poster with the stolen flock. You might want to post on Hoobly and EBay Classifieds as well.

Its good to hear some personal experience about Honeyville. I was trying to decide if the drive would be worth it since its about 1.5-2 hours away

My experience is with the Topeka location. I called them and told them what I was looking for. Which was organic, no soy, a mid-ground protein level, low enough calcium for chicks and as much animal protein we could get intoit. Originally using fish meal but hoping to see if they can get their hands on some clean meat meal. It's hard to come by.

Anyway...my formulation is okay for all ages and then I add more protein for the kiddos and free-feed calcarb for the others. Works very well and very good quality. Since there was a minimum quantity, there was no way I was going to have 3 different formulas!

The minimum of 300 lbs is because they were formulating specially (most places ask for 1000 lbs and sometimes a ton!). At the time I had only 6 chicks (no way I was going to use 300 lbs in a long time!) So I put out a notice on an organic chicken forum to see if anyone in my area wanted to share. Found someone near St. Joseph Mi who meets me in Niles to pick up and we've shared ever since.

Now that we have the IN thread there are probably more folks nearby that would be interested in whatever it is that you're looking for in your feed that would share if you need to do that.!

Back
Top Bottom