INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

X 2 I'm ssooo jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really hope so!! They are really neat looking!!

I did have a question, and I posted a video about it -

0.jpg

Have you all ever had a chick not take to the poultry nipples and get dehydrated ??

Last edited:
I just got back inside. Raisenemright just stopped by and picked up a couple birds. Very nice family and it's awesome to see the excitement in their children about chickens!

Thanks again Brad, the Polish was an awesome surprise to my boy he loves it!
Keep us in mind for a couple more of them bantam Cochins!!

Man everyone is talking about all these eggs. I got 1 yesterday!
Wow, and you have a lot of birds! I have 34 hens and was averaging 22 or 23 eggs a day over the summer (some of my girls are quite old, so that's not bad!), but it was like around the beginning of this month, they shut down! I'm at 7 eggs a day average, 12 at most! Then again, there are a lot of feathers around, so I suspect more of them are molting than they appear.
I have to say you are a great care taker of chickens. I also think listing the prices helps. I would have thought it would be more money to take a chicken to the vet. And at those prices, I can see times where it is reasonable to get care for either a pet or breeder chicken.
I agree--the prices are helpful! I know someone posted a long, long time ago that there was a Fort Wayne vet that would see chickens, but now I've learned that a vet tech that works at our cat / dog vet office specialized in poultry, which means I have had a chicken vet for a while now and I never knew it! I feel a bit more comfortable with her being that we've been taking our animals to this same vet for as long as we've lived here (which is close to 20 years, I think!). Neat thing is, she's called 'the chicken lady' by the rest of the staff, which is promising to me! A lot of times, I've read where vets will see chickens, but they don't really know enough about the birds to make good choices for their care (for instance, a friend was told by the vet that her hen was egg bound, but she was actually internally laying--two totally different conditions). If I were looking for a vet, I would rather go to someone I know has some knowledge of birds at the least, but poultry especially!
Looks like you got some salmon faverolles!
Yup, they're definitely Salmon Faverolles! Also, you can be assured they're both girls by how they're feathering in. ;)

WOOHOO  HAPPY DANCE!!!   Girls by how they're feathering??  How can you tell that??   Can you explain so I can understand??    Thanks  :)
If you google what a roo salmon faverolle looks like you'll see how they feather in differently. They almost look like two different breeds. (I would post pic but replying on phone and have hard enough time just typing)

In Salmon Faverolles, the males and females are different in appearance throughout their lives. If you looked up pictures, you may have noticed that some were more black and some were more white and brown. The black ones were the boys and the brown ones were the girls. They start showing this difference in appearance almost immediately upon feathering in. Boys grow in darker wings, mainly black, while girls grow in white and brown feathers.

A young male:

A young female:

Picture credit.

If you google what a roo salmon faverolle looks like you'll see how they feather in differently. They almost look like two different breeds. (I would post pic but replying on phone and have hard enough time just typing)

In Salmon Faverolles, the males and females are different in appearance throughout their lives. If you looked up pictures, you may have noticed that some were more black and some were more white and brown. The black ones were the boys and the brown ones were the girls. They start showing this difference in appearance almost immediately upon feathering in. Boys grow in darker wings, mainly black, while girls grow in white and brown feathers.
Awe, YES! I understand now, and yes I did see the differences in the black and browns, just thought it was simply different colorings was all... but yes, my GIRLS are brown.... woohoo!!

Back
Top Bottom