INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I'm thinking about going to the poultry show in Lebanon, just curious what to expect. Obviously lots of chickens, but what about chicks and/or hatching eggs? I'm assuming breeding pairs and trios.

Any other animals usually for sale? I've been looking for a baby holland lop, thought maybe there would be rabbits for sale as well.

I'm thinking about going to the poultry show in Lebanon, just curious what to expect. Obviously lots of chickens, but what about chicks and/or hatching eggs? I'm assuming breeding pairs and trios.

Any other animals usually for sale? I've been looking for a baby holland lop, thought maybe there would be rabbits for sale as well.

I have never seen eggs there unless you arrange with someone to bring them ahead if time. Some times chicks but must all adult pairs and trios . There are quite a few rabbits and ducks. I have also seen pigeons, guineas, peacocks, geese, and other assorted poultry

Thanks for asking the sprouting question, and thanks to everyone who chimed in - I want to sprout this winter too, But have not had the time to really research it. Anyone know where to get burlap sacks?

And I am not sure if I should thank you for mentioning the Poultry show. That is dangerously close to home. I know I want to go - the only thing that would keep me away is if my son has a robotics tourny that day. I really can't buy anything but I just love looking at chickens (and lengthening my "I want that" list). If you are going to be in Lebanon Central Indiana Organics is a great place to buy feed etc. I cannot seem to find the list of all the things I have asked them about, they don't have any kind of list online, you just call and say "Do You have ...". I know they have red wheat, corn. This is their website (sorta, not much but has their contact info!) http://www.centralindianaorganics.com/

Originally Posted by pipdzipdnreadytogo

@pipdzipdnreadytogo I missed this post! I would really like to make this show!
If they are open the day we go, I may have DH stop in so I can get the wheat.
What do you sprout? Wondering if anyone sprouts beans. I'm hearing wheat and seeds, but will the chickens eat bean sprout? Just curious! I sprout millet, and want to get red wheat, but need to find a local source.

My runt meat chicken passed away. Sad, but it is the first meat chicken I have lost

Aw sorry to hear! Thats pretty good, I always lose a few when we raise them.

Thanks for asking the sprouting question, and thanks to everyone who chimed in - I want to sprout this winter too, But have not had the time to really research it. Anyone know where to get burlap sacks?

And I am not sure if I should thank you for mentioning the Poultry show. That is dangerously close to home. I know I want to go - the only thing that would keep me away is if my son has a robotics tourny that day. I really can't buy anything but I just love looking at chickens (and lengthening my "I want that" list). If you are going to be in Lebanon Central Indiana Organics is a great place to buy feed etc. I cannot seem to find the list of all the things I have asked them about, they don't have any kind of list online, you just call and say "Do You have ...". I know they have red wheat, corn. This is their website (sorta, not much but has their contact info!) http://www.centralindianaorganics.com/
I had to make my own burlap sacks. The reason - the ones you find in stores in the craft departments have very loose weave. The weave is too loose and the seeds will go right through them. So I purchased a yard and made my own from a tighter weave.

Now...there are some places that you can find burlap feed bags from time to time. But they are Huge so you need to cut them and sew anyway. The nice thing about purchasing it and doing your own is that you can get plain burlap that hasn't been treated with chemicals at most fabric stores so you know exactly what you're getting. You also make them an appropriate size for the number of birds you're feeding.

I get my grains at the feed mill and use whatever is the best price at the time. Usually barley, oats. Sometimes wheat but it is often a very high price depending on the crop at the time.

You'll find that the birds will not want to eat sprouted beans/legumes. And many of them are toxic to birds and shouldn't be fed to them anyhow so I recommend you just stick with grains, sunflower seed and the like. Even some grains need to be fed in moderation as they can have various side effects.

Take a quick look at the "grains" and "protein" links on this page: http://www2.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Nutrition.html

As you go through each grain it will state various reasons not to feed some and to restrict others.

When it comes to legumes for chickens, some of them are toxic in any form and some must be roasted to at least reduce toxcicity (which would tell you that no chicken would ever eat them if they had a choice as I've never seen a chicken build a fire and roast anything...at least mine don't...)
camp-fire-smiley.gif

There are things listed on that site that I would never feed my birds. So that is my disclaimer - I only post it so that you can get an idea of what things should be avoided.

Quote:
I had to make my own burlap sacks. The reason - the ones you find in stores in the craft departments have very loose weave. The weave is too loose and the seeds will go right through them. So I purchased a yard and made my own from a tighter weave.

Now...there are some places that you can find burlap feed bags from time to time. But they are Huge so you need to cut them and sew anyway. The nice thing about purchasing it and doing your own is that you can get plain burlap that hasn't been treated with chemicals at most fabric stores so you know exactly what you're getting. You also make them an appropriate size for the number of birds you're feeding.

I get my grains at the feed mill and use whatever is the best price at the time. Usually barley, oats. Sometimes wheat but it is often a very high price depending on the crop at the time.

You'll find that the birds will not want to eat sprouted beans/legumes. And many of them are toxic to birds and shouldn't be fed to them anyhow so I recommend you just stick with grains, sunflower seed and the like. Even some grains need to be fed in moderation as they can have various side effects.

Take a quick look at the "grains" and "protein" links on this page: http://www2.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Nutrition.html

As you go through each grain it will state various reasons not to feed some and to restrict others.

When it comes to legumes for chickens, some of them are toxic in any form and some must be roasted to at least reduce toxcicity (which would tell you that no chicken would ever eat them if they had a choice as I've never seen a chicken build a fire and roast anything...at least mine don't...)
camp-fire-smiley.gif

There are things listed on that site that I would never feed my birds. So that is my disclaimer - I only post it so that you can get an idea of what things should be avoided.

There is a list on byc also, am not sure if its completely accurate.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens
Has anyone been able to sprout BOSS? I have not had good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom