INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Thanks for your insight about goat breeds and milk. We were thinking about pygmy because of their small size--didn't even think about different breeds having different milk characteristics. Guess we hadn't gotten that far in our thought process.
Sorry I didn't say this earlier - so far behind!! Chick rookie is right, you do not want to drink pygmy milk! The small goats that are good for milk are Nigerian Dwarf Goats. One can provide 1/2 gallon a day and they are milk goats whereas pygmies are meat goats. That is what we would like to get, at least is in our dreams but reality is another story. I've never actually seen one. The fairs have tons of pygmies but could not find a nigerian dwarf!

The only thing that keeps me from having more animals of any kind (inside and out/domestic and farm) is money, well and for domestic animals, my allergies and asthma have gotten so bad as I've gotten older so I have to be very careful what I have in the house. We love animals, we have fostered and it is so hard to let them go so I can understand why you would want to keep those puppies! Strays have always ended up at my house since I was a kid - like they instinctively know I will take care of them. We have had 2 families in our neighborhood who always knew where to go when their dogs escaped!

Help! I have 19 4-day old chicks and the power just went out! Now what? Will they be ok while they sort things out with whatever is down or do I need to haul them around on me. TMI, but I've had this happen before during the incubation of cockatiel eggs and I just shoved them into my bra til the power came back on. I'm pretty sure this won't work for this situation.

Never mind....we have power.

Last edited:
You will need to be careful mixing roos together, especially if they haven't been raised together. In my experience, the bottom of the new rooster pecking order gets to be the honorary 'hen' and you end up with very similar issues. I have a feeling if your cornish X boys aren't a mobile as the others, they will end up getting beat up pretty bad. I'm constantly shuffling roos around until either they get big enough to process, or I find a new place for them. I have two BCM boys going to jchny2000's, and they need to. One is getting chased all over and beat up when he gets caught. I am letting him free range during the day to get away from the others.
no easy way to mix roosters, but free ranging them togther the first few days kind of helps if the mix or new combination will even work. I have a rooster that just will not be nice to other red roosters but he is fine with 2 of the blues. I'm not really sure why. For now he is living in the turkey pen. But Janet posted that her turkeys like to kill roosters so now I'm trying to come up with a better plan.

Good Morning all!!!

Yesterday was a hard day for us on our little farm. Big Momma's condition worsened very rapidly. She went from feather loss and looking like she was getting sick to having a seriously twisted neck and spinning circles. I believe she had wry neck but I am not real sure. We started treatment for wry neck on Wednesday evening but by Thursday she became unable to control her movements and was not eating or drinking. We decided she could no longer suffer and made the very hard decision of ending her suffering. This is our first time having to make a hard decision like this and it is very sad but it was worse to see her suffering.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions on the lice, I have treated everyone and everything and I am crossing my fingers that Jewel's eggs still get a good hatch rate.

I am terribly sorry, I have to agree with others, a head injury is quite possible.

Good morning all!!! I have been late to work every day for the last week because I am overly enjoying the cool mornings and am just standing around staring at my animals eat in the mornings!!! Luckily work is super flexible!!

I am starting to have rooster issues with my Isbar rooster. He has always had a young Hedemora cockerel in with him, the Hedemora cockerel does not challenge him and is very subservient but the Isbar roo just chases him around and he spends all day hiding. I feel bad for him. The Isbar cockerel also doesn't seem to be being very nice to his girls. He will just get off one and will start chasing her again, he is absolutely terrible. A couple of days ago he got on one of them and wouldn't get off, he was on her for a good 45 seconds until I chased him off her. He is too small to process (maybe 5 lbs at best) so I'm not sure what to do with him. I am considering putting all the girls from that pen in with my layers for the winter and putting all the boys together in one pen. Do you guys think he will settle down if he doesn't have any girls? I will feel bad dumping my Cornish cross cockerels in there with a bully. I would feel ridiculous giving him his own pen by himself and overcrowding the other two pens. I am kind of at my wits end with him! I hate seeing a bully!

Heiser my Bielie roo continues to be perfect!
love.gif
All my Bielies are. I am super in love with that breed. I REALLY like the Isbar hens too, their man is just a bit of a jerk (although he is not at all human aggressive).

Harris the Isbar

Heiser the Bielefelder
love.gif

Gorgeous roosters! Lots of great replies already. See what 2 weeks "away in jail" does for him, may surprise you! Most of our young roos go through a phase like that. Its really hard on the hens, makes them afraid of the roo also. One of my orp roos acted that way. 2 weeks in jail seemed to do the trick.

Gr
Quote: Its really easy and they love it. I sprout during winter also so they get vegetation instead of just regular food.

So tomorrow is the one-year birthday of my rooster Reginald (the handsome fellow in my profile pic). What does one give the rooster who has everything??
more hens
wink.png

Help! I have 19 4-day old chicks and the power just went out! Now what? Will they be ok while they sort things out with whatever is down or do I need to haul them around on me. TMI, but I've had this happen before during the incubation of cockatiel eggs and I just shoved them into my bra til the power came back on. I'm pretty sure this won't work for this situation.

Never mind....we have power.
We lost power a few times last winter. Yep, we stuffed them under our shirts til power came back on. I had enough extra people to keep the few chicks I had warm.

Quote: They start getting aggressive towards roosters at maturity it seems. Its always the hens too, the toms really don't seem to care. IF your turkeys are less than 8 months he is probably ok for a while.

Thanks for asking the sprouting question, and thanks to everyone who chimed in - I want to sprout this winter too, But have not had the time to really research it. Anyone know where to get burlap sacks?

And I am not sure if I should thank you for mentioning the Poultry show. That is dangerously close to home. I know I want to go - the only thing that would keep me away is if my son has a robotics tourny that day. I really can't buy anything but I just love looking at chickens (and lengthening my "I want that" list). If you are going to be in Lebanon Central Indiana Organics is a great place to buy feed etc. I cannot seem to find the list of all the things I have asked them about, they don't have any kind of list online, you just call and say "Do You have ...". I know they have red wheat, corn. This is their website (sorta, not much but has their contact info!) http://www.centralindianaorganics.com/

Originally Posted by pipdzipdnreadytogo

Back
Top Bottom