INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Thanks Jchny about the Rooster advice. My younger boys are little angels even though they have discovered raging hormones and chase the pullets around they haven't once started a spar with me. Big Red though seems to have grown up rather slowly. He's nearly three years old and just now learning who's flock boss. Guess I finally live up to my username. Took a while though. :) I do love my boys though, I still have no idea which ones I'm gonna give up. The struggle.

Lol, well, I don't think you can call those three 'fluffy butts' huh? Haha!

100 w incukit, hygrometer, and automatic egg turner has shipped today. I will be constructing my bator this weekend. We are new to birds and are gonna hatch!! We are gonna raise layers and meat birds. Any recommendations on breeds? We live in northern Indiana. I want to hatch and sustain my layers and meat birds!! Any advice would be awesome. Our 6 and 4 yr old boys are excited!!
welcome-byc.gif
and our thread
frow.gif

Orpington, Rhode Island Red and Rocks are all great choices. Marans are also a great bird.

Quote: Nice birds!

Quote: It becomes part of the responsibility of the owner, sadly to make the choices. Its the ugly part of keeping chickens, or any animal for that matter. Love them enough to know when to let them go. Be responsible enough that its humane departure and quick. After being in Animal control for 5 years, I have seen too much to allow anyone else to take the life of my critters. DH or I will do the deed.. And yes, I cry for them. Its not a good day, and my hogs upset me very much. But I love my family more.
The aggressive animals still upset me too. But I look at my flock overall, and want to protect and improve the birds I raise. I have seen some aggressive birds that left pretty quick (turkey BB hens) last year. I remove any that are flock aggressive, immediately. All my birds have to comingle.
I hope I'm not naieve. I have never had this gal process for me but I have questioned her about her method etc. She was recommended by the local organic dairy farm family. Seriously...if you think I should reconsider and do them myself I'd rethink it...
Oh no, If its someone that's been recommended to you, I would go with her. I know how hard it is to take the jump to process yourself when its your own bird. It was a lot harder for me with chicks I had hatched and raised. I have learned to accept it but it took time.

Quote: Straw is more expensive! Really hard to imagine that. And I buy the 6ft rolls, so the hay is cheaper yet. It breaks down a lot faster too.

Does anyone know where to get Copper Marans locally? Right now I have around 100 chickens from a mixed flock, and am breeding and hatching daily. Our hobby and love for chickens has really taken off, and I am interested in getting into breeding Marans.
@ellymayRans has beautiful marans

We're getting our tail.

Oh...and just in case anyone was wondering...Yep....I can reach my tail.

Poor lil girl, she is getting there!

I had a guest stop by and offer me 2 perkin ducks. Anyone interested in them? I could not take them today so the lady will call back after the holiday to see if I have found anyone or if I can take them then. They are about a year old. But they need to be kept away from smaller ducks as these two perkin have been mean to a mallard already.

If we were closer I would take them. Not sure how soon we can get together again tho.
Once she and her brood feather out, I'm going to have to figure out how to get them back outside with everyone else.

LOL! I would love to have those babies!
Thanks Jchny about the Rooster advice. My younger boys are little angels even though they have discovered raging hormones and chase the pullets around they haven't once started a spar with me. Big Red though seems to have grown up rather slowly. He's nearly three years old and just now learning who's flock boss. Guess I finally live up to my username. Took a while though.
smile.png
I do love my boys though, I still have no idea which ones I'm gonna give up. The struggle.

Lol, well, I don't think you can call those three 'fluffy butts' huh? Haha!
Hehehehe! They are still fluffy butts, just with longer tails
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom