INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Thanks for more info. I had pulled up the MO website early this morning. If we lose another bird I am not sure we really have a choice. I was wondering about shipping as well as Frozen vs. refrigerated as well as - how do you ship? I never imagined how hard it would be to lose 2 chickens. I think it is magnified b/c of my FIL passing so we are already in big time grief mode. They really are our pets more than I imagined when we started this adventure! We all try so hard to do everything right but these things happen. Even the dog is depressed. He lost his buddy. He stood guard over the quarantine last night and he whimpered on and off all morning. DD really wants to show chickens for 4H but now I am even more paranoid about picking up something and bringing it home to our flock especially when we will have youngsters at fair time.

So appreciate the help and support. Indiana BYC'ers are the best!

I wrapped my bird in plastic bags and packed her in a box lined with some cheap styrofoam and cheap walmart ice packs all around. This time of year that is probably all you need as long as you expedite shipping (MO is close too). Call and talk to the University of Missouri in the next couple of days and get the address pricing and instructions so you are prepared the next time it happens. Preparation is best so you aren't scrambling when you are already upset.

I am feeling you pain. We lost our Roo last night. Have you figured out anything yet? We lost a hen 1 1/2 weeks ago too. So both my Legbars are gone. Very depressed, overwhelmed and exhausted this morning (add a splitting headache in there too!). Was gone all day yesterday, got home and Sven just did not seem right. Lethargic. Not as bad as Cordelia was when we found her. Stayed up to the wee hours nursing him. He seemed a little better when I finally fell asleep but dead when I woke up early this morning. Just finished holding my sobbing daughter.

So all you experts, this illness seems to hit FAST. Lethargy, thirst, not eating. I did notice the past couple days someone had strange watery poop but noone was acting like anything was wrong of course until I am gone all day. I have been keeping a very watchful eye on them b/c of Cordelia. Sven pooped last night while hubbie was holding him. I've spent hours now looking and poop pics and reading. This is where I started: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0. I am wondering how you tell the difference between Cocci and Clostridium perfringens. There was no blood in his poop last night or any of the strange poop I found on our porch the past couple days. This is very close to what his poop looked like - post # 43 on this page https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/910357/i-have-a-question-about-clostridium-perfringens/40 His poop was very watery with green little lumps in it- no I didn't think to take a picture of it. At the end while holding Cordelia her poop was liquid. Before she was sick I did not notice any strange poop. Just at the end while holding her.

I know you can't give me any definitive answers, but just wondering if I need to worry about Cocci and treat everyone else. I know Necropsy (sp?) would be a really good idea but money is really tight so I am pretty certain hubby is not going to go for it. I am so tired I have having trouble thinking straight right now, I don't knwo what to do with his body. I already have one in deep freeze til spring. ARGH!!

Also - I was thinking there was a thread for chickenfest but I can't find it.

I lost a white leghorn roo, yesterday, found him dead under a roost. Less than a year old too. No apparent prior issues. One of our members recently posted lots of good info regarding necropsy including packaging.

The chickenfest link for 2015 is at the bottom of my post.

I hate talking to people about EE's any more. They act like I'm being mean... I'm not just trying to help them learn something, I was happy to learn the difference, guess I cant understand why everyone don't want to learn.... oh well Good looking girls all. Sorry you had o do all that shoveling, I'm so glad we have not had that much snow yet this year and hope we don't the rest of the year!!!!
I think it's because they think they have a pure bred bird, something of quality, and by telling them that it's an Easter-egger, they seem to believe it loses value. I personally love my girls, don't much care what breed they are as long as they are friendly and healthy and lay plenty of beautiful eggs, and I know quite a few people are like that as well, but some just seem to see it as, "my bird is better than yours," and don't want to be told that they're wrong. :/ We didn't have much snow until that big snowstorm a week ago, which dumped a foot or more on us. And now it's all melting, so all that shoveling wasn't worth a whole lot. :lol: But my girls were happy to get out of their coop, so that made the effort worthwhile to me, anyway. :)
Chickens in the basement must be going around :) . This one had some frost bite that wasn't looking so great so I pulled her in. She escaped her cage while I was cleaning it. The cat was less than thrilled.
I have 1 in my back room with my baby goat, he has upper respiratory problems and is not liking his meds. but is loving being back inside with mom ( me ) again... he tries all the time to get back into the house, he don't like any of the flock, always alone.
:lol: My old girl, Cubby, is in my bedroom with me. I guess it is going around! ;)
When I checked in on my chickens tonight, one of my hens was making strange head movements. I checked back 10 min later
Update: The crop emptied overnight & behavior is normal. I put her back into the flock. Could she have just eaten too much?
Sounds to me like she ate too much. They make sort of gasping, shifting motions with their heads when they are trying to settle something in their crops. :)

Chicken hugs today. :love The Dorkings were being particularly loveable. The two of them hopped up onto the feed shed and were taking turns getting hugs. One would wander off to peck at ice and the other would come over for her turn for cuddles, and then she would go off and the first would come back for hugs. :love It was too precious.

Elda 'Elly-cuddles' the Silver Gray Dorking. I apparently didn't get any pictures of Kit-kit, her 'twin'. :/ Oh, well.

And Freema, the eternally jealous Barred Rock. :rolleyes: Had to reassure her that yes, I still love her, even though I give attention to the babies sometimes as well.

Just because she is so fabulously beautiful, here is Vespa the silver Sebright:

And Roha the attention hog says, "Where's MY attention?!" :rolleyes:

The snow has melted a LOT since that picture was taken--by the time I was getting the girls in for the night, you could see the ground where she's standing!! We're probably down to about half as much snow as we had yesterday. Of course, there's an abundance of water here at the moment and the coop and its occupants are looking pretty soggy, but we're all gunning for springtime so I think we can tolerate the mess until then! :D I think this is the first winter in a few years that there weren't several complete melt-offs throughout the weeks of snow. I don't let the girls out to range when there's snow on the ground because they won't go anywhere, so they haven't free-ranged at all since last year!! Poor, abused girls!

Edited for wording.

Last edited:
hey guys last night my leg bar roo sven was not moving much and this morning i found out he's gone
sad.png
D: my baby boy!!!!!!!!
I am terribly sorry.

I went to our local TSC last night to stock up on sav a chick and some other stuff for the first aid kit I'm making up . And a lot of their stuff was expired. I told them about it and they will reorder new supplies , they said the chick days start the last week of February. I'm thinking of picking up some chicks from them, my RIR and Bared Rocks are due to shipped April 7-8. It's so hard to wait that long. My only problem is ,the coop won't be ready until april. Husband needs to reroof the whole thing and will have to wait for the spring weather.
I love seeing all the photos of the birds, though it makes my waiting game even harder to deal with.

Rural King stores already have chicks in several stores. Its very, very hard for me to not look
droolin.gif
But I have enough breeds here, I just hatch mine own now. I always peek in case there is something unusual!
Quote:
Could be. She may not have picked enough grit too. When there is a lot of snow pack, I make sure the grit feeder and oyster shell stays full. Even then, it can happen.

love.gif

Quote: Great post! Very good advice.

Quote:
lol.png
My old girl, Cubby, is in my bedroom with me. I guess it is going around!
wink.png

Quote: Sounds to me like she ate too much. They make sort of gasping, shifting motions with their heads when they are trying to settle something in their crops.
smile.png

I saw this a lot in the cornish cross meat chickens, and BB variety turkeys.
Chicken hugs today.
love.gif
The Dorkings were being particularly loveable. The two of them hopped up onto the feed shed and were taking turns getting hugs. One would wander off to peck at ice and the other would come over for her turn for cuddles, and then she would go off and the first would come back for hugs.
love.gif
It was too precious.

Elda 'Elly-cuddles' the Silver Gray Dorking. I apparently didn't get any pictures of Kit-kit, her 'twin'.
hmm.png
Oh, well.

And Freema, the eternally jealous Barred Rock.
roll.png
Had to reassure her that yes, I still love her, even though I give attention to the babies sometimes as well.

Just because she is so fabulously beautiful, here is Vespa the silver Sebright:

And Roha the attention hog says, "Where's MY attention?!"
roll.png

The snow has melted a LOT since that picture was taken--by the time I was getting the girls in for the night, you could see the ground where she's standing!! We're probably down to about half as much snow as we had yesterday. Of course, there's an abundance of water here at the moment and the coop and its occupants are looking pretty soggy, but we're all gunning for springtime so I think we can tolerate the mess until then!
big_smile.png
I think this is the first winter in a few years that there weren't several complete melt-offs throughout the weeks of snow. I don't let the girls out to range when there's snow on the ground because they won't go anywhere, so they haven't free-ranged at all since last year!! Poor, abused girls!

Edited for wording.
Aww, bet they are feeling stir crazy. Going to be even warmer Sunday! We have 50 predicted here but some rain too.

We have been talking about turkeys a bit lately. Here is what the "taste test"comparison was by Mother Earth News:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/turkey-taste-test.aspx
For those looking into keeping turkeys, there are some important points to know.
Breed and type are most important.

(1) Heritage breed..... Natural breed and dual purpose
A rainbow of colors, types and breeds. Not as much as chickens but pretty impressive selection.
These will breed, brood, raise chicks.
Long life and good parenting skills.

(2) Broad Breasted.... BBW, BBB These are bred for meat bird purposes
The 2 varieties I know of is BB Bronze, and BB White.
Short life span, normally due to immense weight gain in 6 months.
Cannot be naturally bred and hatched in a farm situation. (I have tried!)

2nd important point, they need a higher protein content in the feed to thrive.
They are easy to keep, but need room. Heritage can fly fairly well and will perch on your house, the trees or whatever they like of they free range.
BB turkeys will not fly, to heavy and really are not interested in much else but eating! They will free range if taught young, much better results.

3rd point is they are not chickens.
Poults (baby turkey) are fragile the first few days.
Need higher protein chick feed to thrive.
They drown easily so use caution choosing a waterer. I use pheasant stye waterers for all my chicks/poults.
Many of us use a "chick tutor" to help them remember to drink, eat etc! after day 3 they are usually pretty hardy.
BYC has some excellent threads to follow. Will give you a lot of personal opinion and a wealth of info.
Last years: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/838701/turkey-talk-for-2014
Closed but lots of good info here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/725829/turkeys-for-2013

Hey, I like those T-shirts! Nice work.
smile.png

Hi Everyone! Once again, I am planning on becoming a regular on the thread again. I have really missed everyone!
sad.png
Thank you to all who checked on my whereabouts--lol. I sincerely do appreciate the messages!
tongue.png

We last left off (I'll make this short) when my DH had his second melanoma surgery-- he’s fine. I had a weird lengthy ear infection-- I’m fine. I have been going back and forth to Louisville every week because my oldest sister had cancer surgery-- she’s fine, but recovering. My DH made a round trip to IU today to pick up our younger daughter who has a chronic illness. She’ll feel better. Needless to say, between the holidays, work, and family illnesses, I’ve been exhausted.

My 11 pet chickens are all doing well! Since Nene’s passing, my LF flock has been co-ruled by my 2.5 year old black&white “sisters” (I got them as pullets from a farm) -- my Barred Rock, Tweedy, and SLW Lacey. Tweedy is the flock leader outside of the coop, and Lacey is the flock leader inside the coop. That seems unusual to me…has anyone else every had Co-Flock Leaders? My EE, Road Runner, wants so badly to perch with Tweedy and Lacey at night, but they peck her away. Road Runner then knocks my two giant English Orpingtons off the perch (until I lock up the coop and put a partition between her and the Orps--lol). My blue silkie, Smalty, perches between the Orps, and my splash silkie, Ditzy, sleeps in a nesting box. In a smaller coop, my chocolate bantam Orp, Bonbon, still resides with her three “babies” -- black bantam Cochins who are now laying. One is still half the size of the other two and is especially adorable.

I am looking forward to re-connecting with old friends and getting to know new members!
smile.png

M2H/Julie

[COLOR=8B4513]Hey, I like those T-shirts! Nice work. [/COLOR]:) [COLOR=8B4513]Hi Everyone! Once again, I am planning on becoming a regular on the thread again. I have really missed everyone![/COLOR] :( [COLOR=8B4513]Thank you to all who checked on my whereabouts--lol. I sincerely do appreciate the messages! [/COLOR]:p

[COLOR=8B4513]We last left off (I'll make this short) when my DH had his second melanoma surgery-- he’s fine. I had a weird lengthy ear infection-- I’m fine. I have been going back and forth to Louisville every week because my oldest sister had cancer surgery-- she’s fine, but recovering. My DH made a round trip to IU today to pick up our younger daughter who has a chronic illness. She’ll feel better. Needless to say, between the holidays, work, and family illnesses, I’ve been exhausted. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=8B4513]My 11 pet chickens are all doing well! Since Nene’s passing, my LF flock has been co-ruled by my 2.5 year old black&white “sisters” (I got them as pullets from a farm) -- my Barred Rock, Tweedy, and SLW Lacey. Tweedy is the flock leader outside of the coop, and Lacey is the flock leader inside the coop. That seems unusual to me…has anyone else every had Co-Flock Leaders? My EE, Road Runner, wants so badly to perch with Tweedy and Lacey at night, but they peck her away. Road Runner then knocks my two giant English Orpingtons off the perch (until I lock up the coop and put a partition between her and the Orps--lol). My blue silkie, Smalty, perches between the Orps, and my splash silkie, Ditzy, sleeps in a nesting box. In a smaller coop, my chocolate bantam Orp, Bonbon, still resides with her three “babies” -- black bantam Cochins who are now laying. One is still half the size of the other two and is especially adorable. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=8B4513]I am looking forward to re-connecting with old friends and getting to know new members! [/COLOR]:)

[COLOR=8B4513]M2H/Julie[/COLOR]
So glad you're on the upside of so many trying events! Welcome back! So awesome your babes are laying! Congrats! Looking forward to you being back!

Back
Top Bottom