INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Let me run and get my mom's notes. She was awesome and kept EVERYTHING down!

EDIT:

Stress B-Complex: 1 tablet, ground to powder. The bottle does not say the size of the tablet. It was under the brand name 'Nature Made'.
Vitamin E: 400 IU. Puncture the capsule and squeeze out the entire contents. They were HARD, so you may have to use a pair of pliers to get it all out.
Selenium: a few drops. They were in 200 microgram capsules and they were also quite hard, so be careful squeezing them to get the right amount.
Vit. E and Selenium were brand name Sundown Naturals.

We mixed this all up in a small amount of wetted crumbles and fed it to her directly to make sure she got it all.

We tried methylprednisolone as well, but I don't think it added much and the side affects were more worrisome than it was worth, I think. But, if you have Prednisone (slightly different than methylprednisolone) available, you can add some of that as well. 2.5 mg of prednisone or 2 mg of methylprednisolone once daily. DO NOT abruptly stop either of those, though! They need to be weaned off of these!

Editing again because I mistakenly said prednisone and prednisolone were the same thing--oops!

As for where to get them, I'm pretty sure they were all in the pharmacy section of the grocery store. I'll ask mom when she gets home form work, but I think it was Meijer's that she found most of it in. You may have to shop around to find them all; not sure if it was all available at Meijer's. Edit 2: Mom says they were all at Meijer's. You can probably find them at Walmart as well, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of my now free range BBB! I think they like the freedom. The little gem laying down and three jakes.

hello everyone...been a while...thought i would stop in and say hi...hope all is well....here are some pics
was curious...what kind of quail is this...i bought jumbo browns and six of these birds hatched...

this is the jumbo brown

here are the two next to each other

red golden pheasants

peacock carrier wow they work slick...didnt take long to build....and to let out just lift the pvc...less stress on the birds...im sure you will see many more of these popping up...gave away for free two white males, and one male silver pied

peasant eggs anyone...lol they are being donated for egg artwork...to a lady that works with martha stewart

black one we found in the woods , blonde ones we found in the front yard....MORELS in case you didnt know

purple peacock

first egg from the purple peacocks...have three now

hand picked out of the front yard...jummy

well hope everyone enjoyed the pics...see you guys around

Let me run and get my mom's notes. She was awesome and kept EVERYTHING down!

EDIT:

Stress B-Complex: 1 tablet, ground to powder. The bottle does not say the size of the tablet. It was under the brand name 'Nature Made'.
Vitamin E: 400 IU. Puncture the capsule and squeeze out the entire contents. They were HARD, so you may have to use a pair of pliers to get it all out.
Selenium: a few drops. They were in 200 microgram capsules and they were also quite hard, so be careful squeezing them to get the right amount.
Vit. E and Selenium were brand name Sundown Naturals.

We mixed this all up in a small amount of wetted crumbles and fed it to her directly to make sure she got it all.

We tried methylprednisolone as well, but I don't think it added much and the side affects were more worrisome than it was worth, I think. But, if you have Prednisone (prednisolone, slightly different than methylprednisolone) available, you can add some of that as well. 2.5 mg of prednisolone or 2 mg of methylprednisolone once daily. DO NOT abruptly stop either of those, though! They need to be weaned off of these!

As for where to get them, I'm pretty sure they were all in the pharmacy section of the grocery store. I'll ask mom when she gets home form work, but I think it was Meijer's that she found most of it in. You may have to shop around to find them all; not sure if it was all available at Meijer's.[/quote

Thank you! Very helpful. Our town doesn't have a Meier, so I will be checking at walmart!

Quote: for the selenium you can get Bo-Se liquid from a vet. I got it for my goats. That stuff is amazing. 0.25 CC for a tiny 8 pound goat and the kid was up and walking straighter withing minutes. no more wobbles or legs bent the wrong way. TSC also has liquid vitamin B. Just try to use a high gauge needle since a chicken is clearly smaller than a nubian goat's kid most times.

for the selenium you can get Bo-Se liquid from a vet.  I got it for my goats.  That stuff is amazing.  0.25 CC for a tiny 8 pound goat and the kid was up and walking straighter withing minutes.  no more wobbles or legs bent the wrong way.  TSC also has liquid vitamin B.  Just try to use a high gauge needle since a chicken is clearly smaller than a nubian goat's kid most times.

Thank you! I will call some local vets on Monday and see if any of tem have it.

I was able to find all the stuff at Walmart. I found the B and E in liquid forms. I mixed up a bowl of soft food for her, but I can't get her to eat or drink. She just wants to lay there with her eyes closed. If she hadn't touched it by morning I am going to put a drop of each straight into her mouth. Hopefully then she will perk up and start eating and drinking. Thanks everyone for your help.

Hi!
I am new to BYC and this board (but I read through the last 10- 15 pages so I am a little caught up). My husband and I are hopefully getting our first chickens tomorrow! A friend's mom is giving us some adult chickens to get us started! And it sounds like she may give us some ducks too! I am excited and nervous because I've never done anything like this before. I am especially nervous about the ducks because I have done a decent amount of reading about chickens, but not much about ducks. She just asked yesterday if we wanted some and I figured since they are free why not? But now I need to do some resarch. We don't have a pond so I think we need to get a kiddie pool. Would a little kids turtle sandbox filled with water be deep enough? We also have an old bath tub that we could possibly convert somehow. Or I could go buy a pool. How often do you need to dump and refill? I am also a little worried about AI, wild ducks wouldn't be attracted to a kiddie pool would they? Sorry, thinking out loud here :).

Anyways a little info about me. I have 3 little kids - 3.5, 1.5 and 6 weeks. (I'm also worried about the kids and chickens not hurting each other. The kids do really well with our cat, but they are still kids and the cat is very tolerant) I live in NE Indiana near Fort Wayne area.

I'm trying to convince my husband we should go to chicken fest, we'll see how that goes :)

Back
Top Bottom