INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

On the road to Lebanon - I hope to meet you if you're there! Look for me in a beat up old burgandy Chevy astro van!

AH! I knew I saw those fibro phoenixes!! Wish I had gone over to chat now! :barnie Sorry you had no luck selling, though. :/

I am also fairly sure I saw @CCCCCCCCHICKENS, although I wasn't 100% sure so I 'chickened out' of going over to her because I'm too shy. :oops: I didn't see anyone else. Seems like that happens every time, though.

My mom and sister and I went to look, not to buy, and I stuck to that even though there were a LOT of temptations... So many pretty birds there... :love I'm just going to have to get a good quarantine space figured out for next year--all those bantams were so hard to resist! :love Call ducks, and OEGBs, and Cochin bantams, and even Seramas... :love And there were Cream Light Brown Dutch bantams, too! :drool Those were probably the hardest for me to pass up, even if there were only roosters!

Anyway, it was fun. Tiring, but fun. :D I love seeing all the birds in person. Pictures just can't do them justice! The Ameraucana showing was pretty nice this year, just one Easter-egger in the mix. Loved all the little banties in the show as well. And as always, I'm impressed with how big some of those LF roosters get to be! Makes the boys I've owned look positively tiny!

so for breeding pens what is the most hens that should be put in with 1 rooster. I think I have heard 10 hens per rooster in a coop in general but for breeding should that number be lower to increase fertility. Last year the pen with the most hens had 7 hens during breading season and 1 rooster. As I narrow down my roosters even more in the next 2 weeks I want to make sure I keep just what I need. But at the same time i don't want to get clear eggs during breeding because I put too many hens in with the best roo.

AH! I knew I saw those fibro phoenixes!! Wish I had gone over to chat now! :barnie Sorry you had no luck selling, though. :/

I am also fairly sure I saw @CCCCCCCCHICKENS, although I wasn't 100% sure so I 'chickened out' of going over to her because I'm too shy. :oops: I didn't see anyone else. Seems like that happens every time, though.

My mom and sister and I went to look, not to buy, and I stuck to that even though there were a LOT of temptations... So many pretty birds there... :love I'm just going to have to get a good quarantine space figured out for next year--all those bantams were so hard to resist! :love Call ducks, and OEGBs, and Cochin bantams, and even Seramas... :love And there were Cream Light Brown Dutch bantams, too! :drool Those were probably the hardest for me to pass up, even if there were only roosters!

Anyway, it was fun. Tiring, but fun. :D I love seeing all the birds in person. Pictures just can't do them justice! The Ameraucana showing was pretty nice this year, just one Easter-egger in the mix. Loved all the little banties in the show as well. And as always, I'm impressed with how big some of those LF roosters get to be! Makes the boys I've owned look positively tiny!

Yes, I was there. I thought I saw you, but I wasn't 100% sure and if that was you and I am shy too lol. And I couldn't remeber your name. I think I wa putting cage together when you walked by. I ran to TSC and got another, I didn't have enough room for the birds I bought.

Quote: Sorry to hear your dog was wounded, but Good Dog! I'd say he earned a steak.
Love the egg colors, awesome!

Quote: Possums here too, had one circling around my empty shed after dark last night.

Quote: Beautiful silkies!

Quote: They are very pretty silkies! And unfortunately, I didn't sell a single bird. I had some very nice conversations. Most folks really didn't understand what I had for sale, except my Ayam Cemani - and they weren't willing to pay the price, even though I was offering them for cheap based on normal asking prices.

A few folks seemed interested in my fly tie fowl, especially after I explained that they are a tri-purpose bird - but no one bought.

Bad time of year for bird sales. :'(
I think the cold settling in has folks winterizing. I messed with it all day and have more tomorrow. And that always make me hesitate to add new birds too.

Quote: I really want to go to some shows too, its the LF roosters I want to see most. I am still really interested in white rocks too.

so for breeding pens what is the most hens that should be put in with 1 rooster. I think I have heard 10 hens per rooster in a coop in general but for breeding should that number be lower to increase fertility. Last year the pen with the most hens had 7 hens during breading season and 1 rooster. As I narrow down my roosters even more in the next 2 weeks I want to make sure I keep just what I need. But at the same time i don't want to get clear eggs during breeding because I put too many hens in with the best roo.
I seem to do best with fertility, 5 hens to 1 roo. Any less, I try to pull the roo out a few times a month, give the girls a break.

Quote: Hey, good to see you post!
frow.gif

Yes, I was there. I thought I saw you, but I wasn't 100% sure and if that was you and I am shy too lol. And I couldn't remeber your name. I think I wa putting cage together when you walked by. I ran to TSC and got another, I didn't have enough room for the birds I bought.

Darn, yep, you were putting a cage together! Well, good seeing you, anyway, even if it was at a distance. :lol: I have to ask, what did you get? :D

I really want to go to some shows too, its the LF roosters I want to see most. I am still really interested in white rocks too.

I hope you get to! This is probably the only one I'll be able to go to for a while, so I had to make it count and look at everything I could! :)

Forgive the terrible picture quality, did not use a flash, was concerned it would startle them.
Meet Bacon & Bits! Tiny lil weener piglets. They are checking out the new bed before I even put bedding in!

Rushing in to check out what is going in there, LOL! Very calm lil fellas. Bits is smaller and scrappier, really dominant.
am keeping 2 food pans and 2 large water dishes going so there's no more fighting! Bits starts it, Bacon bites him!

I really want to go to some shows too, its the LF roosters I want to see most. I am still really interested in white rocks too.

I seem to do best with fertility, 5 hens to 1 roo. Any less, I try to pull the roo out a few times a month, give the girls a break.

Hey, good to see you post! :frow

Hi, thanks. I have been really busy with school, work, hobbies, etc that I pretty much just get on if someone tags me :(. I miss it sometimes

Darn, yep, you were putting a cage together! Well, good seeing you, anyway, even if it was at a distance. :lol: I have to ask, what did you get? :D
I hope you get to! This is probably the only one I'll be able to go to for a while, so I had to make it count and look at everything I could! :)

Haha, nice seeing you too! I got a couple different things :)
-a pair of giant homer piegons
-a pair of flying roller piegons
- a pair of white Plymouth rocks
-1 LF black ameraucana pullet (I was going to buy two others, but they sold them before I could get over there)

Oh and I bought that big six hole cage that was sitting beside me

Forgive the terrible picture quality, did not use a flash, was concerned it would startle them.
Meet Bacon & Bits! Tiny lil weener piglets. They are checking out the new bed before I even put bedding in!

Rushing in to check out what is going in there, LOL! Very calm lil fellas. Bits is smaller and scrappier, really dominant.
am keeping 2 food pans and 2 large water dishes going so there's no more fighting! Bits starts it, Bacon bites him!
They're so cute! Are they pets or future food? Too cute!

Quote:
Honestly, both! I raise my hogs like pets. They get ear rubs, back scratches, belly rubs. They get names. In 8 months to a year, when they weigh around 350 pounds they have 1 "bad day". That happens here also, I do not want them to suffer and have to know its done humanely. Any animal meant as food will not leave here to be processed. I feel that strongly about it, and owe them that for feeding my family.
My last adult boar, BP (Big PIg) now lives with @barb s he is such a good fella, I just couldn't process him. He has fantastic temperament.. My nephew giving BP a rubdown lol! He would nuzzle your leg and flop at your feet, PET ME!! I had intended him as a breeder here but didn't have space to hold him another year.

Back
Top Bottom