INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I would like to thank @Mother2Hens for my new avatar! Thank you so much!
Yep! Me too!!!
thumbsup.gif

I noticed a new Sharp Shinned hawk today. My guinea were alerting and screaming their little heads off. Finally saw it, was perched on top of my enclosed breeding coops! I got within 5 feet of it screaming and waving my arms before it flew off. My Peas were very upset, and my fella was honking out danger calls. Surprised the Guineas didn't nail it! Once I chased it off my free range guys all came out from under the bushes. I really need a rooster coop.
Starting to build a farrowing house, my Hamp sow DS (Double Stuff) is due at the end of January. She is still very sweet, but getting very round! Getting a lot of extra attention and carrots, eggs right now so farrowing goes easier. This is our first farrowing, so am really nervous. Oreo my Hampshire boar is a sweetheart, so am expecting a very social & calm litter. DS will walk away from her dinner for a back or belly rub anytime. Really pleased with her temperament also.
My cow, Fanny is also getting very round.. expecting a calf within this next month too.

I noticed a new Sharp Shinned hawk today. My guinea were alerting and screaming their little heads off. Finally saw it, was perched on top of my enclosed breeding coops! I got within 5 feet of it screaming and waving my arms before it flew off. My Peas were very upset, and my fella was honking out danger calls. Surprised the Guineas didn't nail it! Once I chased it off my free range guys all came out from under the bushes. I really need a rooster coop.
Starting to build a farrowing house, my Hamp sow DS (Double Stuff) is due at the end of January. She is still very sweet, but getting very round! Getting a lot of extra attention and carrots, eggs right now so farrowing goes easier. This is our first farrowing, so am really nervous. Oreo my Hampshire boar is a sweetheart, so am expecting a very social & calm litter. DS will walk away from her dinner for a back or belly rub anytime. Really pleased with her temperament also.
My cow, Fanny is also getting very round.. expecting a calf within this next month too.

i would love to see how to bring a calf into this world! You know, for my someday farm lolol.

I wanted to also share this avatar that M2H worked hard on. No, my doxie isn't a chicken but she acts like one the way she makes chase after her several, and i mean several times a day!
lau.gif

I'm so heartbroken right now. My sweet Dorking, Kit, has been victim to a hawk attack while I was away at class all day today. I can't stop crying right now. Just after talking about them so fondly here. It's not fair...

OMG! I feel so bad for you and for Kit! Did your mom or anyone see the hawk or are you making an educated guess? That is so horrible! I know you do everything you can to protect your babies.
hugs.gif
Originally Posted by jchny2000

@jchny2000 A local bird expert and a former English teacher of mine writes a column about birds. She recently wrote one about the Sharp Shinned Hawk.
Cornell’s All About Birds website describes the sharpie as “a tiny hawk that appears in a blur of motion — and often disappears in a flurry of feathers.”

The sharp-shinned hawk is surprisingly long-legged with a very long tail and short, narrow, rounded wings. Its size? Think small. Male sharp-shins typically measure under 10 inches long, similar to doves (9-13 inches) and robins (8-11 inches). Typically, a female sharpie is at least a third larger overall than the male, as much as 3 inches longer and sometimes double his weight. Since, as a rule of thumb among raptors, females outsize males, there’s an overlap between the two species. While in general Cooper’s outsize sharpies, a female sharpie can be the same size as a male Cooper’s.

To most of us, Cooper’s look nearly identical to sharpies. Both accipiters visit yards and love dining on plucked songbirds; and because sharpies’ range is expanding, the two birds’ territories in some places now overlap year round. So far, sharpies terrorize our yard only in winter. Sharpies are much, much faster and much more daring and maneuverable than Cooper’s. I’d describe a sharpie as a mini fighter-jet tearing through the yard, making u-turns on the proverbial dime, racing faster than any other bird in the yard. They’re birds of stealth, implementing a low-flying explosive surprise attack.

This year, however, our yard hosts an intermittent protector — a super-sized buteo, a juvenile red-shouldered hawk that reigns supreme. Songbirds feed fearlessly within feet of her because they’re too small to be worth her effort to chase. But a sharp-shinned? Well, that would make a dandy lunch — if the red-shouldered were only fast enough to catch it. Still, when present, she keeps the sharpie (mostly) at bay.

Learn more about birds at Sharon Sorenson’s website at birdsintheyard.com.

I'm so heartbroken right now. My sweet Dorking, Kit, has been victim to a hawk attack while I was away at class all day today. I can't stop crying right now. Just after talking about them so fondly here. It's not fair...

Oh No! So Sorry Pipd. Yes. We know how much you love your Dorkings. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful descriptions about your birds. It's certainly not fair that you've had a few terrible chicken losses this year.

My poor EE just got plucked!!! I must have bored bird with muff envy!
Why would she allow another hen to pluck out her muffs? She's one of the senior hens too!
Thankfully, she still has her beard & my CCL still has her crest. I hope they get outside today & run about before the next temp drop hits.

Here's my Easter-orp. She a nice looking mix of both parents.
....But she, too, may be at risk for a de-muffing & is lower in the pecking order.

This is my Sebright. She's actually quite pretty, but something happens whenever I take her pic. It always comes out pathetic-looking.
Love that face! I know what you mean about photos. My Screech always looks a little stressed or crazed or both. That's what I liked about my dear departed Eliza's eyes—they were dark instead of beady like typical chicken eyes. haha

Hen Pecked
My EE went through a phase of having her beard plucked, too. For a few days, I put some of that yucky "rooster booster" purple stuff on her beard, not because she was pecked raw, but I wanted to repel the other hens. I felt bad about putting that sticky, smelly stuff on my EE, but it worked. The others soon left her alone.

@jchny2000 had good Winter Boredom ideas. During the past days of extreme cold, I made a playground area for my flock. Since my coop is near my garage, I put a tarp on part of the garage floor (where DH's car previously parked--hahahaha) and added plenty of straw on top (they have pine shavings in the coop, so straw is a fun novelty for them. I occasionally came out and threw some seeds or craisins, etc. in among the straw. The other day my DH made some chili and saved the grease from the ground beef. I cooled the grease and then stirred in some bird seeds so that the seeds were coated. I sprinkled those in the straw, and they had fun. They exercised by scratching around in the straw looking for goodies. The garage has some windows for natural light and also gave them a wind barrier. For people who are keeping their chickens in the coop during extreme weather, the same thing could be done using straw or dry leaves (if available) or dig up some dirt with worms (if not too frozen) or put a few old logs in for them to peck around on.
Originally Posted by wheezy50
So, I started a little earlier than planned this year. I set 18 silkie and 8 barnyard mix eggs in the incubator this week. Looking at a hatch date first week of February!

Did you include a black/white cuckoo silkie for me?
wink.png

Originally Posted by chick rookie

Got another kid today at 8 am, little doe. Have 1 more nanny to go and finished.

@chick rookie ~ How exciting!!! I watched a little bit of a show last night on Nat Geo Wild about a farm animal veterinarian. She helped deliver some pigs and then a calf in very cold conditions. It was interesting to watch, but it would be nerve wracking for me. You're an experienced pro!

Wow! You're gonna have your hands full. I'm in awe of how self sufficient you are.

Last edited:

I am so sorry for your loss it's a terrible thing to happen.
hugs.gif

Look like La Mancha?
yes I crossed my favorite Diary Billy with my spotted Nub and the first 2 are LaMancha/Boar ... lol and they came out with more spots than the spotted Nub did.... go figure?? The last Nanny to kid yet is a spotted Boar ( My baby ) and she is bread to the same billy, cant wait to see what they come out like....

Well, I saw my first egg from the dark cornish today! Looks like laying season is arriving, super excited!
I don't have a hen on the place laying right now!!!!! NOT A 1!!!!!! haven't had a egg in a week!!!

My poor EE just got plucked!!! I must have bored bird with muff envy!
Why would she allow another hen to pluck out her muffs? She's one of the senior hens too!
Thankfully, she still has her beard & my CCL still has her crest. I hope they get outside today & run about before the next temp drop hits.

Here's my Easter-orp. She a nice looking mix of both parents.
....But she, too, may be at risk for a de-muffing & is lower in the pecking order.

This is my Sebright. She's actually quite pretty, but something happens whenever I take her pic. It always comes out pathetic-looking.
I used to have bald EE's too till they got a pen of their own... I think the others are jealous of the pretty head feathers.

Love that face! I know what you mean about photos. My Screech always looks a little stressed or crazed or both. That's what I liked about my dear departed Eliza's eyes—they were dark instead of beady like typical chicken eyes. haha

Hen Pecked
My EE went through a phase of having her beard plucked, too. For a few days, I put some of that yucky "rooster booster" purple stuff on her beard, not because she was pecked raw, but I wanted to repel the other hens. I felt bad about putting that sticky, smelly stuff on my EE, but it worked. The others soon left her alone.

@jchny2000 had good Winter Boredom ideas. During the past days of extreme cold, I made a playground area for my flock. Since my coop is near my garage, I put a tarp on part of the garage floor (where DH's car previously parked--hahahaha) and added plenty of straw on top (they have pine shavings in the coop, so straw is a fun novelty for them. I occasionally came out and threw some seeds or craisins, etc. in among the straw. The other day my DH made some chili and saved the grease from the ground beef. I cooled the grease and then stirred in some bird seeds so that the seeds were coated. I sprinkled those in the straw, and they had fun. They exercised by scratching around in the straw looking for goodies. The garage has some windows for natural light and also gave them a wind barrier. For people who are keeping their chickens in the coop during extreme weather, the same thing could be done using straw or dry leaves (if available) or dig up some dirt with worms (if not too frozen) or put a few old logs in for them to peck around on.
Originally Posted by wheezy50
So, I started a little earlier than planned this year. I set 18 silkie and 8 barnyard mix eggs in the incubator this week. Looking at a hatch date first week of February!

Did you include a black/white cuckoo silkie for me?
wink.png

Originally Posted by chick rookie

Got another kid today at 8 am, little doe. Have 1 more nanny to go and finished.

@chick rookie ~ How exciting!!! I watched a little bit of a show last night on Nat Geo Wild about a farm animal veterinarian. She helped deliver some pigs and then a calf in very cold conditions. It was interesting to watch, but it would be nerve wracking for me. You're an experienced pro!
I think I have seen that same show, I enjoyed it. I am still a nervous wrack every time, and I have done it for years... I think it's due to they all are my babies.... and LaMancha is my favorite breed!! The milk sure is fattening but oooo so sweet...
love.gif
I have to be careful with that stuff!!

Quote: Wade is going to the Beekeepers school too.

Quote: Love the label! As far as the bees go, W tried to replace the existing queens with a more cold hardy variety, but it didn't take. So without a queen, the hive died out, and it was too late in the year to start a new one.

So sad to hear. Your girls are the reason I have some dorkings ordered for this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchny2000

@jchny2000 A local bird expert and a former English teacher of mine writes a column about birds. She recently wrote one about the Sharp Shinned Hawk.
Cornell’s All About Birds website describes the sharpie as “a tiny hawk that appears in a blur of motion — and often disappears in a flurry of feathers.”

The sharp-shinned hawk is surprisingly long-legged with a very long tail and short, narrow, rounded wings. Its size? Think small. Male sharp-shins typically measure under 10 inches long, similar to doves (9-13 inches) and robins (8-11 inches). Typically, a female sharpie is at least a third larger overall than the male, as much as 3 inches longer and sometimes double his weight. Since, as a rule of thumb among raptors, females outsize males, there’s an overlap between the two species. While in general Cooper’s outsize sharpies, a female sharpie can be the same size as a male Cooper’s.

To most of us, Cooper’s look nearly identical to sharpies. Both accipiters visit yards and love dining on plucked songbirds; and because sharpies’ range is expanding, the two birds’ territories in some places now overlap year round. So far, sharpies terrorize our yard only in winter. Sharpies are much, much faster and much more daring and maneuverable than Cooper’s. I’d describe a sharpie as a mini fighter-jet tearing through the yard, making u-turns on the proverbial dime, racing faster than any other bird in the yard. They’re birds of stealth, implementing a low-flying explosive surprise attack.

This year, however, our yard hosts an intermittent protector — a super-sized buteo, a juvenile red-shouldered hawk that reigns supreme. Songbirds feed fearlessly within feet of her because they’re too small to be worth her effort to chase. But a sharp-shinned? Well, that would make a dandy lunch — if the red-shouldered were only fast enough to catch it. Still, when present, she keeps the sharpie (mostly) at bay.

Learn more about birds at Sharon Sorenson’s website at birdsintheyard.com.
So interesting. I know hawks are the enemy, and I chase any off I see around my place, but I love to learn more about the animals that are around us!

Back
Top Bottom