INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Two surprises yesterday. I found a muscovy egg in the nest box (actually three surprises, since it was actually in a nest box....) I didn't think I'd see any of those until March or April. Second, I walked into my barn and my pea was displaying. But it was the peahen and not the peacock! The peacock was just standing there staring at her like 'What the heck are you doing?' She quit before I could get a decent picture. He apparently hasn't gotten the hint yet as I've not seen him display yet.

Has anyone heard of this before?

http://about.usps.com/publications/pub370/pub370_tech_016.htm

I was on another thread and a poster there said she uses it exclusively to ship her eggs. They always arrive in better shape and get much better hatch rates. It's a surcharge over regular shipping, but if the buyer hatches out even one more chick, it has paid for itself. If it works the way she says it does, I'm surprised I've never heard of it before.

I was on another thread and a poster there said she uses it exclusively to ship her eggs. They always arrive in better shape and get much better hatch rates. It's a surcharge over regular shipping, but if the buyer hatches out even one more chick, it has paid for itself. If it works the way she says it does, I'm surprised I've never heard of it before.

I've not heard of it either. Its sounds like it would be a good thing if all of the PO employees knew how it worked and took that extra care. I'm not sure if it is a common thing though or if it would be something the average PO employee would just ignore and treat the box like any other box.

No, I've never heard about this, but it's interesting. The best hatch rate on shipped eggs I ever got was 70%. The eggs actually traveled quite a distance but the seller personally dropped the box off at the PO & had requested they "HOLD FOR PICKUP" by calling my ph# when it arrived at my local PO. Of course, the package was actually delivered to my door after spending the day in the bumpy mail truck. I still ended up with a great hatch.

After all, that's where my sweet Cuddles, Darth Layer, Dolores, & Cookie came from!

Here's a pic I took yesterday of Cuddles. She hasn't laid an egg since Sept, but her health & appetite are still OK. She's totally a pet and my favorite lap chicken.

www.in.gov/boah/2390.htm

sad.png
I am sorry to report AI in found Dubois county Turkey Farm..

@jchny2000 - yep, I just got a call from the turkey farmer that it happened to. He and my dad are friends and I live close to him now. He called me to give precaution. I thought that was really nice of him. Over 60,000 turkeys are being put down. I'll probably be sending eggs out for testing before long!

And here I am, sitting at work...wanting to rush home and gather my babies like a crazy woman, "Come on children, inside now!!"

@pipdzipdnreadytogo so sorry for the loss of your dorking. I know each of your girls hold a special place with you, and I hate seeing that you have lost several now. I'm right there with you.
hugs.gif

And thanks to everyone who made a comment on my recent loss. I have a plan of action to work on things this weekend (weather permitting) to help the security of my coop.

And...rain, rain, go away!!!
barnie.gif
Tired of the soggy mess outside!

Great pics! I hang up cabbage heads, or corn cobs to give them some amusement. Suet cakes are great too. It should keep the picking down.
Anything hanging up. I get hanging seed-bells, suet cakes, containers full of veggies, leftovers, anything they will peck at reliably. Put a mirror on a coop wall. Change up roosts. They're smart enough to get bored, and boredom is one of the chief rasons people (and animals) do really stupid (and mean) things.

@pipdzipdnreadytogo and @amwchickin , and everyone else who's lost their feather-babies, I'm very, very sorry for your loss. Just let me know what I can do (if anything). I know I'm late to say it and short on words (and time), but I still feel their losses with you. It seems everyone's having predator attacks lately, but that doesn't make it easier (quite the contrary, if anything).
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom