INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Quote: Well, kinda they do. I have noticed my mallards pick one drake or the other. Seems like the hens do the choosing here. Huey the scovy, for example picks one drake. Until she goes broody, no other hen dares go near her guy. Once she is on that nest, that fella gets picked up by another hen unless theres another drake around they like. The dominant drakes are always the fellas that are chosen.
The geese are sort of the same, but Embden show the most bonds. BB (BigBoy) will only breed the dominant goose, once she is on a nest, he is on to the next hen. Its more like a group bonds, than pairs in domestic waterfowl.
Now in wild geese and ducks, I understand its different.

I'm new to the forum and planning on getting my coop built in a few weeks. I am wanting to buy some pullets so I don't have to wait all summer for them to start laying. I am curious if any one knows any reputable places in east central Indiana. I am near Muncie. I haven't see a whole lot on craigslist yet. Curious what there is here in the Hoosier state.
Welcome to our thread!
frow.gif
Do you have any breed in mind?
here is a link
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...z-MK57ml5LMd7-F167MOavaFl0/edit?rm=full#gid=0
thats our member list. Some of us are pretty close by, I am over in Pendleton.

I have a rooster that has been sick for a couple days. It seems to be respiratory. He is VERY wheasy, keeps his mouth open most of the time and extends his neck to breath most of the time. I dont know what I can do for him, he MIGHT be getting a little better the last day or so but still looks sickly.

Is there something I can put in his feed or do I need to take him to the vet?

I also had a rooster just out of the blue die on Sunday. I didnt notice any problems in the morning, then he was VERY wobbly and pale at lunch and dead in the evening. I have never lost a bird so fast. I dont know if they are related or not. None of my other 28 look sick or show signs.

I will see how he is when I get home from work just thought i would see what you all think.
thanks
The one that died suddenly may have worms, or parasites. Chickens are hardy, and by time they show illness they are pretty sick. For the respiratory guy, Theres several types of antibiotics to offer. I recently got Denegard and was pretty impressed how well it does to clear up UR issues. Oxytetracycline is another commonly used medicine. Cold damp weather can bring UR on for a weaker bird. There are a couple avian vets, If you look at our member list, you will see a tab for vets.
Our member list is here

I'm really just looking for some decent layers. I've heard golds the comets are good, RIR, New Hampshire red, etc. I don't have anything special in mind

Thanks for the info...where do u get Denegard? Is that something that you can get at Farm and Fleet or tractor supply or does it have to come from a vet?

I got mine from http://valleyvet.com/ online. It may be at the farm stores, check the equine, swine, etc isles for it. @racinchickins and others that have it on hand, did you order or buy it?
I'm really just looking for some decent layers. I've heard golds the comets are good, RIR, New Hampshire red, etc. I don't have anything special in mind
Comets are a good choice to start with. They will lay almost daily and mature early. Rural king locations may already have chicks! they are also called red sexlink, cinnamon queen, freedom ranger. They are all the same type hybrid and lay very well. Once you get started tho, you may really find interest in other breeds later. Its called chicken math! Some of us have got it bad, lol
lau.gif

Couple more pictures today...
My Fanny girl, she is due this month! I had to take her head harness off, she likes scratching her neck on the fence and got caught.That belly looks rounder by the minute! Bo has learned a healthy respect for her. First time they met, she nearly snapped the fence because he dared to butt her! Bad, bad idea...Rammed him right into the fence. He keeps a healthy distance from her at all times now. Our new pasture goes within 10 feet of the white fence..(my neighbor) so they have lots of space to actually run!

My miss Daisy. To busy eating to come and say hi lol! She is looking a bit plump too, is possibly bred but nothing for sure.

Sugar and Cocoa, my does were too busy up on the hill eating hay! So they missed the photo shoot.

Couple more pictures today...
My Fanny girl, she is due this month! I had to take her head harness off, she likes scratching her neck on the fence and got caught.That belly looks rounder by the minute! Bo has learned a healthy respect for her. First time they met, she nearly snapped the fence because he dared to butt her! Bad, bad idea...Rammed him right into the fence. He keeps a healthy distance from her at all times now. Our new pasture goes within 10 feet of the white fence..(my neighbor) so they have lots of space to actually run!

My miss Daisy. To busy eating to come and say hi lol! She is looking a bit plump too, is possibly bred but nothing for sure.

Sugar and Cocoa, my does were too busy up on the hill eating hay! So they missed the photo shoot.
Aw, cute cow! If you want any more donkeys, I know of a few looking for homes.

PS: I raised my doors up off the floor by about 12" so there is room for litter. When he showed putting the template to cut he set his at the bottom. DON'T DO THAT! Set it up high enough for some deep litter.

ETA: In that chicken shed we have styrofoam insulation and paneling over it. Where the door went in, we cut a panel that fits over the upper part of the door that is removable so that we can get to the motor and interior easily.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom