INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I have also had tough luck this Spring hatching my MW turkey eggs. Probably set around 20 of her eggs (I just have a pair, that was almost every egg she laid) I think 10 total hatched and 5 of those failed to thrive and didnt make it past 2-3 weeks. The 5 I have left are around 6-8 weeks old now and seem healthy and happy, fingers crossed. Most of the eggs that didn't hatch were fertile with fully formed poults, must have died in the last couple days before hatch. Her last 3eggs weren't fertile and I havent seen an egg from her in a few weeks now.

My silkies have been hatching with good success, they've been over 90%. Unfortunately at least 3 are trying to be broody and the eggs have really slowed down.

Lavender orps have been successful as well, probably around 80-90%. They are still laying pretty well, I just set another 14 of theirs today.

Polish have been tough on me this Spring and im starting to think they are just a tough breed to get healthy, robust chicks. I set 4 of my own hens eggs (before a coon got her), all hatched, and all but 1 have failed to thrive and died within 2 weeks. I purchased some bantam polish eggs from someone local and had good hatches but half of them also failed to thrive and died. Its weird because they hatch well and seem great for a week and then downhill. Polish just are a more difficult breed to raise, at least for me.
The orps are great, I never have a problem hatching them. I have to agree. I adore polish, but they were harder to keep for me.. I am at the point I try to stick with whats working. Good egg supply, vigor and health. Large frame birds if I wind up with too many roosters.

@jchny2000
I did a little rearranging in the chick-safe pen in the barn today. When I was in there I sat on the floor and had 6 Four-Week-Old Buckeyes climbing all over me. One even went up on my shoulder.

Such fun little birdies!

I need to get some updated photos of the chicken children :)
They are really something! I love sitting with them. Just no rear of people at all.

Last edited:
Newer guy here from Northwest Indiana. Butchered a round of meat birds last year but are ready to add some laying hens to our family this year!

Welcome to BYC and our thread!
frow.gif
Please feel at home, we are a talkative bunch.
Quote: Well, look at the handsome regal fella now!

Thanks for the welcome! I picked up the lumber for our frame today and will set the post tomorrow.
Woohoo! Laying birds are so munch different. I have done 100s of meat birds, heritage and Cornish cross. You won't be disappointed.

Won't be on much this week. Wedding countown is ON! Rehearsal friday. Very stressed bride already, she is a perfectionist. Lost of last minute phone calls, preparations and ugh.. glad this will be the last of my DDs getting married and I can avoid wedding plans for a bit!
th.gif
2 weddings in a year is tough.
Most of my life I have heard nothing but negative about donkeys.. I have had Daisy my Mini since November. Love her more every day. She is an awesome guardian and companion to the other animals on the pasture. Not a bit of problems. She has only kicked a pig once, and he asked for it.
Never aggressive, mean or any problems at all. Honestly she has become a real pet.
Got my Daisy our Donkey jenny shaved Saturday thanks to my Dear friend @jsummers and lots of great advice on equine care, vaccines. Spring is a busy time for donkey care. She had a sore spot where one of the roosters usually ride on her. With the heavy coat may also have been "rain rot" Daisy even let her youngest DD sit on her back for a bit, seemed really excited to see the children. Trying to upload pictures now.
Here she was late winter:

And now! My good friends and their little girl. Daisy Just loved their daughter!

Right after clipping. She got a good bath yesterday too!

The farrier comes thursday so I can learn more about summer hoof care. Completely different from goats.

Ugggh...I feel like I have bounced around everywhere trying to find fellow Hoosiers...I just left a post on one place and later read it's no longer an active thread...
My name is Janet, I am in Peru ( north central Indiana) I would love to communicate with fellow Hoosiers. May I please join you folks?
I have 4 RIR hens ( they are one yr old), 6 BR pullets ( they are 5 months old), and 3 unknown bantams of which 2 boys and one girl ( 4months old)

Ugggh...I feel like I have bounced around everywhere trying to find fellow Hoosiers...I just left a post on one place and later read it's no longer an active thread...
My name is Janet, I am in Peru ( north central Indiana) I would love to communicate with fellow Hoosiers. May I please join you folks?
I have 4 RIR hens ( they are one yr old), 6 BR pullets ( they are 5 months old), and 3 unknown bantams of which 2 boys and one girl ( 4months old)

Absolutely! Welcome to the Hoosier page! P.S. I am new here too!!

Welcome to the thread! We're an open, active, conversational lot, so join in anytime
frow.gif
We talk about bits of everything, and the only real stipulation is to keep things family friendly because there are lots of young'uns on board and peeking over shoulders. Many members here are friends outside of the forums because that's just the kind of group we are.

I'm in Indy and keep two cats, three kids, one darling husband, two golden pheasants, six Coturnix quail, two French pearl guineas, numerous large fowl chickens, and eleven turkeys (my bane). I've kept ducks, bantams, and rabbits before, as well as freshwater fish, iguanas, monitors, other assorted lizards, snakes, turtles (box, snappers and sliders mostly), dogs, ferrets, guinea pigs, gerbils and other stuff I'm surely forgetting because I'm a veritable zoo on a regular basis. I'm a late-to-the-game pre-veterinary/biology major student going into my junior year at IUPUI.

Many other members have families, school, and jobs that appear in posts here, so don't be afraid to chat about whatever's going on. We also regularly discuss the care and keeping of other livestock (llamas, alpaca, horses, donkeys, emu, goats, cattle, geese, peafowl, everything under the sun).

Thanks Indyshent!
So your a Purdue vet student huh? That's wonderful! Do you plan to see exotics? Exotic vets are so very hard to find, and even the ones that do see exotics are still fairly judgy on keeping certain types of critters as pets.. I can't wait to learn more about everyone. I'm just so excited to have finally found a place to call home on this site...

Thanks Indyshent!
So your a Purdue vet student huh? That's wonderful! Do you plan to see exotics? Exotic vets are so very hard to find, and even the ones that do see exotics are still fairly judgy on keeping certain types of critters as pets.. I can't wait to learn more about everyone. I'm just so excited to have finally found a place to call home on this site...

Welcome! Glad you found us! Great group we have here. Enjoy and post LOTS of pics! ;)

Back
Top Bottom