INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Just watched the neighbor cat take a couple pounces at my chickens. No major danger there as the run is hopefully predator proof but definitely cat proof. Chickens were jumping around and nervous though so I went out and fired a couple tennis balls at the cat to chase it away. Went over to feed some clover to the ladies and noticed that two of them were bleeding a little where their beak meets skin. Think when they flapped they hit the hardware cloth beak first. Will keep an eye on them, but I don't think its bad enough to cause any problems. Any precautions a newbie might not be aware of that I need to take? Other than putting the fear of God into the cats of course!

The new kids are home!!!!

Just watched the neighbor cat take a couple pounces at my chickens.  No major danger there as the run is hopefully predator proof but definitely cat proof.  Chickens were jumping around and nervous though so I went out and fired a couple tennis balls at the cat to chase it away.  Went over to feed some clover to the ladies and noticed that two of them were bleeding a little where their beak meets skin.  Think when they flapped they hit the hardware cloth beak first.  Will keep an eye on them, but I don't think its bad enough to cause any problems.  Any precautions a newbie might not be aware of that I need to take? Other than putting the fear of God into the cats of course!

Hum, do you need a rooster? Rooster would protect his ladies. I posted one

I saw your roo and he's awesome! If I wanted one, he's exactly what I'd be looking for. The girls are safe in the run but just don't realize it. I don't free range either so the roo isn't really necessary.

I checked on them a little bit ago and all the blood is gone. Nobody seems to be pecking anybody else either so I think they're good.

On closer inspection...it looks like you have some chicken wire there that you're probably using. Watch the closely with the wire. I've known some littles to get through it and others to get heads stuck.

Back
Top Bottom