INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Some photos of the Buckeye chicks today.

The Buckeyes were 5 weeks old on June 10 (Friday).

I wanted to try some "heritage Buckeyes" because I've heard so much good about the breed if they're from good lines. Cold hardy, good egg producers, true dual purpose with more meat on them, good foragers, and even good mousers! Supposed to be somewhat laid-back. (But varies on the line. I've heard some are "mean as snakes" to quote a Buckeye enthusiast who tried to help me steer clear of that particular line.)

I don't particularly care for a whole herd of red based birds as far as pleasing the eye, but I was hoping they would be great foragers, friendly, dual purpose, and do well in cold winters.

Because of the pea comb I really don't have experience telling male female. Little blue band has a tiny bit more colorful comb, and it's maybe a little broader than most of the others so I'm guessing it's a boy. A couple others are a toss-up. I've marked them with color bands so I can tell who's who and then have some kind of idea if my guesses were correct or not.

Here they are today:

The whole gang. 6 of them.

I think little blue band is a boy.

Blue band and green band.

Hello all! I am new to the group and fairly new to raising chickens! I am located on the south side of Indy and I have 9 hens and 1 rooster. They are still young at roughly 11-12 weeks. I have 2 golden laced Wyandottes, 2 Rhode Island reds (1 hen/1roo), 2 black jersey Giants and 4 ISA Browns. All of them are use as sweet as can be and very friendly!

Welcome! I'm new also. Seems like a nice place to meet people a little closer to us.

Hello! We had this beautiful bird show up at our house in Martinsville, IN yesterday and she is still with us this morning. We've checked with all the neighbors and no one seems to know where she came from. Unfortunately we cannot keep her but she seems to like it here and even wants to come in the house. If anyone is interested in coming to get the bird we would greatly appreciate it! We really know nothing about these birds and don't really know what to do with it. Feel free to call us at 317-797-5850.

Hello, smorton! Just wondering what happened to this beautiful bird? Did anyone take her? Jenn in Indy
2665.png

Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many chickens/roosters allowed per home in Indianapolis? Someone told me that they thought it was illegal to have over 5 hens and absolutely no roosters at all. I thought I had read 10 hens and 1 rooster was the limit but now I can't find where I read that. Anyone know the answer?

Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many chickens/roosters allowed per home in Indianapolis? Someone told me that they thought it was illegal to have over 5 hens and absolutely no roosters at all. I thought I had read 10 hens and 1 rooster was the limit but now I can't find where I read that. Anyone know the answer?

As of April of this year.

"The limits are now set at 12 chickens per household and one rooster. The code also requires roosters to be kept inside an enclosed coop or structure from dusk-to-dawn, to quiet the crowing."

http://www.wthr.com/story/31624247/...e-to-include-rules-for-chickens-other-animals

Check with any HOAs or subdivision rules. Your particular area may have other rules, but the greater Indy area limits poultry owners to 12 total chickens, ducks and quail with a limit of one roo (confined from 7am to 10pm-ish). If you had 13 or more birds, more than one roo, and/or exotics (anything not mentioned above), you would be grandfathered in provided you acquired the animals before 4/1/2016. Prior to 4/1, there weren't any limits on poultry of any type though noise violations and basic care requirements of the birds nevertheless legally required (pretty well unstated and legally nebulous definitions of) sanitary, quieter, healthy birds on the premises.

Welcome to the forum and our thread! I'm also an Indy resident, but I got grandfathered in for as much as I possibly could (it's a stick-it-to-the-man, gotta-have-my-menagerie kinda thing) so I have six quail, two golden pheasants, 4+ roos, several hens, two guineas and ten turkeys. Almost got talked into geese (still thinking about it) and goats and would have jumped at emu, if anyone near had them for sale super cheap at the time.

lau.gif

I can't help but laugh at the sight of my tiny Sebright trying to cover her giant Orpington chicks. They're 4 weeks.

She certainly has the perfect expression for the job.

Back
Top Bottom