INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@pipdzipdnreadytogo

I know how to process birds but I decided to take mine to a processor because my own birds are a little more personal to me. I "could" do it, but ended up taking them over to Martins.

The first time I took cockerels for processing I began to cry just as I was driving into the drive. Luckily it was very early in the morning (I take them early so they don't have to be in a cage in an unfamiliar area overnight) and it was dark so no one could see I was crying. I cried all the way home. I was miserable all day long.

When I went to pick them up, they were still finishing up processing some and I was sitting in the little office and the work area door was open. All of a sudden, the ladies all began to sing "Faith of our Fathers" (Martins are Mennonite and all their ladies go to church together). It just felt like a little bit of "grace" from God when I was in such dismay.

I've since been able to take others without all the crying (especially mean ones) but it is never easy to do.

I remember you talking about that. I'm afraid I'll be in the same state, but trying to be realistic. It's already hard, because I'm watching these boys grow up and caring for them. Almost hoping that they all turn mean so I don't feel so bad, haha! :oops: Anyway, it's something that I know beyond a doubt I'll never be able to do myself, so I'll be looking into a processor as well in the fall.

Calling all silkie owners......
Can anyone help me sex this one? It's 6+ weeks
View attachment 1021260 View attachment 1021261

Hmmm... I'm not totally sure. My gut was to lean toward cockerel based on the comb, but I just went back and looked at my Silkie babies when they were 6 weeks old, and the boys were more obvious by that point...

6 week old cockerel (clean faced; the wattle development he has wouldn't be evident on a bearded cockerel at this age) :

6 week old pullet:

So yesterday my barred rock hen seemed to be kinda gasping for air (more like opening her mouth every couple of seconds) and seemed to be falling asleep standing. She wasn't moving away when I went near her. I thought maybe she was over heated, it was only 72 degrees outside but she was directly in the sun light, if I stand in the sun light it would get pretty hot for me. So I put up a tarp for more shade. Today she seemed fine. Ran around and very energetic. I went out to eat with the family and my father locked them up at dark. When I got home he told me my barred hen was dead in the coop. Their coop has plenty of vents. I bought 7 hens not to long ago, lady said they were 2 years old. I barely get 1 egg a day if I'm lucky I'll get 2-3 eggs. I'm thinking the hens were older then what she said. My RIR's have feathers missing from their chests/necks. I checked my barred's entire body, no puncture wounds or feather patches missing. Any idea what could have caused it? Maybe old age? Or Egg Bound? I've never seen her lay an egg since I've had her. All my other chickens are fine and no problems. IMG_1305.JPG

Last edited:
@Nyla
It could have been something as simple as a heart failure. It does happen, and they don't have to be older to have it happen. There are some breeds that the cockerels seem to die of heart issues around 8 mos old.

Hi Everyone! I've been working outside a lot, so by late at night I've been too tired to post. I decided to take a break and make a quick post to say hello. I finally updated my avatar, which features my crazy Black Bantam Frizzled Cochins from @ellymayRans. They have separate names, but since they're almost always together, we refer to them as "The Frizzles." When I just call one of them, I say, "Here Frizzle!"

I'm so glad that BYC updated their site!! Besides having a responsive design now, I love that it saves drafts! Many of us in the past have spent time on a post only to have it disappear because of a glitch.

All of my chickens are doing well including the big beautiful Orps from @kittydoc. My Silkie, Smalty, was broody for well over a month. I wish I would've gotten hatching eggs but in the past, she would only go broody for two weeks maximum.

Here are a few recent photos...
dustbath.jpg

I don't put mulch on that area because they just knock it off.
Frizzles.jpg

The Frizzles weren't in that photo because whenever I get ready to take a picture, they run up and get in the way like this. Haha
flock dustbathing.jpg

Now they're together — sort of! Smalty was broody that day.

So yesterday my barred rock hen seemed to be kinda gasping for air (more like opening her mouth every couple of seconds) and seemed to be falling asleep standing. She wasn't moving away when I went near her. I thought maybe she was over heated, it was only 72 degrees outside but she was directly in the sun light, if I stand in the sun light it would get pretty hot for me. So I put up a tarp for more shade. Today she seemed fine. Ran around and very energetic. I went out to eat with the family and my father locked them up at dark. When I got home he told me my barred hen was dead in the coop. Their coop has plenty of vents. I bought 7 hens not to long ago, lady said they were 2 years old. I barely get 1 egg a day if I'm lucky I'll get 2-3 eggs. I'm thinking the hens were older then what she said. My RIR's have feathers missing from their chests/necks. I checked my barred's entire body, no puncture wounds or feather patches missing. Any idea what could have caused it? Maybe old age? Or Egg Bound? I've never seen her lay an egg since I've had her. All my other chickens are fine and no problems.View attachment 1021888

:hugs
Sorry for your loss. I had an otherwise healthy young male Bielefelder just die on me in a similar way. It was a hot day/night & I know the bigger breeds do not do as well in the heat. It was on the roost like normal at 10pm but found dead below the roost by 7am. The flock had water & fans but I guess his heart just couldn't take it.

Thats exactly how I found my barred hen. She was roosting and found dead under her roost.

:hugs
Sorry for your loss. I had an otherwise healthy young male Bielefelder just die on me in a similar way. It was a hot day/night & I know the bigger breeds do not do as well in the heat. It was on the roost like normal at 10pm but found dead below the roost by 7am. The flock had water & fans but I guess his heart just couldn't take it.

Thanks for the information. Makes me feel better and calmer. I got all worried that she might have gotten sick or something and I was reading stuff online and it nearly made me have a heart attack. I love and cherish my chickens and my muscovies. Tomorrow I will be taking my dead barred to a farm vet in South Bend to get tests done for deadlies. I really don't want to loose my pets.
@Nyla
It could have been something as simple as a heart failure. It does happen, and they don't have to be older to have it happen. There are some breeds that the cockerels seem to die of heart issues around 8 mos old.

Also for the past a couple of weeks my chickens feed and water has been "moving" around their run. Their feeder and water'er has never been empty and or tipped over until the past 2 weeks. Their feed and water has been going "dry". I thought it was odd, that maybe wild birds were the culprit. But today I found a black cat in their run (doesn't have a netted roof, just open). She was eating their feed and drinking their water. I watched her from my bathroom window. She doesn't try to harm the chickens, she rubs on them like a cat would a human. I went to do daily mid day head counts, and to my surprise I found 3 baby kittens on the other side of the fence in a bush. One is black and white, one complete gray and the last one is black with white paws. And all 3 have blue eyes. No idea where she came from or how long she has been there. She won't let me get close to her, she takes off and leaves her kittens every time she sees me. The kittens seem very calm.
Will upload pictures tomorrow during sun light!

Back
Top Bottom