INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@pipdzipdnreadytogo
Thanks for the Sandhill input. Do you foresee ordering again next spring with @racinchickins ?

I just want Dominiques and Buff O's, but not very many.

Oh...
8 cockerels? :eek: Whatcha gonna do with 8 cockerels? View attachment 1020048

Great photos of your birdies!

Really missing the email notifications for mentions...
hmm.png

Anyway, I've thought about ordering again next spring, but I think I've reached max capacity for my coop at this point and have to think about the comfort of my girls first. I'd love to get some Colored Dorkings, but it isn't in the cards right now.

As for all those rooster boys, well, I definitely can't keep them all, on top of the 8 roosters I already have. The plan is to raise them up to see who's got the best personality to be in the flock (initially, I wanted to keep a Dark Dorking rooster and a Red Dorking rooster, but the Dark boys are little butts so far, so it may just be one or both of the Red boys... :rolleyes: ). The rest of the boys will be given a comfortable place to live, get to free-range when the hens aren't, and be taken good care of, and then we're going to send them and a few of the adult roosters who don't get along in the flock (or aren't safe to be out with my niece and nephew) to process in the fall. Needless to say, this is extremely hard for me to do, but something I think is necessary. I have too high of standards for the care of these birds just to rely on the word of companies or big farms claiming to raise their mass-produced birds humanely.

Hopefully you'll be able to keep one of your silkied cochins. I really enjoy seeing their photos.

No worries, they get a pass because they're cute. :D Except maybe Ramsay, because he's started flogging me, and I just can't have that sort of behavior in my flock with my niece and nephew around. But regardless of what happens to him, I'll still have Roscoe, Rigby, Lucky, and the precious girls. :)

@pipdzipdnreadytogo

I know how to process birds but I decided to take mine to a processor because my own birds are a little more personal to me. I "could" do it, but ended up taking them over to Martins.

The first time I took cockerels for processing I began to cry just as I was driving into the drive. Luckily it was very early in the morning (I take them early so they don't have to be in a cage in an unfamiliar area overnight) and it was dark so no one could see I was crying. I cried all the way home. I was miserable all day long.

When I went to pick them up, they were still finishing up processing some and I was sitting in the little office and the work area door was open. All of a sudden, the ladies all began to sing "Faith of our Fathers" (Martins are Mennonite and all their ladies go to church together). It just felt like a little bit of "grace" from God when I was in such dismay.

I've since been able to take others without all the crying (especially mean ones) but it is never easy to do.

Some of you may remember my blue orp girl??? Boy???
I remember her every day, because I have a blue pullet of my own growing up, and from what I learned about the differences in male and female coloring when you posted yours, I have been able to judge what mine is. :) Although at the first feathers, I was afraid she was getting that "dark saddle back" rooster coloring. But nope, her hackles are dark, but not her back.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

She is 7 weeks old, half Black Langshan and half Blue Splash Marans.

@Finnie
Yes, at 7 weeks she has a very small comb & no wattles as well Pretty sure = girl. She does look a little like Jewel & seems to be the biggest chick in the brooder. (That never helps ease one's mind. LOL)

Back
Top Bottom