INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Good Morning!

img_2413-jpg.1533807
[/QUOTE She is so precious! How many does she have?
She is so precious! How many does she have?

Here are some recent yard pics. The flock was only out for a little while this morning. (darn hawks!!!!) We had a Coopers hawk on the ground staring through the run's hardware cloth. Most were already safely inside & I was able to find 3 birds that were hiding. About 90 mins later, there was a giant hawk sitting on the fence causing all sorts of panic. (Thankfully the flock was still locked up. They will have to stay cooped up for a few days.)

Still not sure if we're keeping Cupcake. (Buff Colombian Orp hatched March 25th) She's very pretty but thinks she's a bantam. She was placed with the bantam hatch because she was late & needed TLC. She bonded with them & insists on being with them 24/7.
cupcake1-jpg.1534180

Big Fluffy butt
cupcake2-jpg.1534181

Best friend = her older "sister" Noodle (our serama)
They were twins at hatch
best-buffs-jpg.1534178

DS's hen Chizzy just started to molt but is still looking good.
chizzy1-jpg.1534179

turkey-jpg.1534184

chick = a silkie serama mix
silkie-jpg.1534182

Spitzhauben Chick (I think pullet)
spitz-a1-jpg.1534183

She is so precious! How many does she have?
Trouble has 5 healthy, happy orp chicks under her. There's technically 1 more blue orp, but it didn't absorb all the yolk. (Hatched with a decent sized yolk sac) I have it in the incubator, wrapped in a moist paper towel inside a cup. The goal is to prevent it from running around & rupturing something. We'll see how it is in 24 hrs.

Its home! Ugh the formaldehyde smells. I'm looking at bright teal and peach colors to brighten it up. Wasn't pleased with the dark wood colors, appears that's the trend right now. The only unit with light maple color was way past my price range!
living kitchen.png
I have every window open and fans running. We plugged it in to keep battery up. Have all the exhaust fans going and windows open. I worked in automotive insulation for several years. They really use formaldehyde products heavily to bond the fibers. Almost feels like you can't breathe!

My 12 remaining Cornish hens have really took to Beefy! I worked on 2 pullets feet today to correct bumble. These 2 will likely not do well long term too heavy. The rest actively forage and are small, like 4lbs. Will continue to watch the cx hen overall health.
My goal is to ensure my hens are not over bred. My roosters have enough hens in his flock. Egg production oh my! all my pullets are laying finally.

@jchny2000
Congrats on the new camper! Amazing!

Do you sell your extra eggs?
Thanks! We love it!
Sometimes I do, I have a couple folks that are regular customers. One fella has a large family and comes up from Indy. I text him 1st, and I have a second fella if the first guy doesn't need them. My adults are all starting to molt and we all know what that means! We go through a dozen eggs in 2 days typically so spring and summer is mostly when I sell.

My scovy flock is about to be buried in drakes. 5 of the 6 lavender are drakes! :barnieMakes my nephew happy, he has ran out after I told him, and bought a whole case of Bosco sticks (breadsticks with mozzarella inside)! When ever we have too many drakes I make "ducksgetti" sauce from scratch. If anyone needs a lavender scovy drake let me know. I won't give them away but will sell for a reasonable price. Just send a pm.

My scovy flock is about to be buried in drakes. 5 of the 6 lavender are drakes! :barnieMakes my nephew happy, he has ran out after I told him, and bought a whole case of Bosco sticks (breadsticks with mozzarella inside)! When ever we have too many drakes I make "ducksgetti" sauce from scratch. If anyone needs a lavender scovy drake let me know. I won't give them away but will sell for a reasonable price. Just send a pm.
What is ducksketti sauce?

What is ducksketti sauce?
Its my home made version of spaghetti sauce, with meat. I start with tomato paste (home grown if I have it) Then add meat, seasonings etc. I can share the recipe if you'd like.
For anyone considering keeping Muscovy, 6 drakes is way too many for 3 ducks and there will be a ton of fights. 1 drake can cover several ducks. Muscovy are pretty vicious when they fight, and if you try to break it up I can promise you will be bit, scratched and flogged. They are natural tree dwellers, and those claws are sharp. One will be an alpha, the rest are driven off or even killed. If you have enough ducks then fights are minimal.

Back
Top Bottom