INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

44030723_10212951556248547_5970110459628486656_n.jpg
Was going to ask "are those your model hands?", but saw your response.

Hi everybody! I'm a bit new to this, so not sure if this is the right place to ask, but we just got our chickens this past Sunday and one of them is making a weird quiet sort of clucking noise and seems to have phlegm or something in her mouth. when I finally caught her to have a closer look, it was gone and she sounded fine... should I be worried still? can chickens catch a cold or something? I've looked all over this site, but there's just too many conflicting opinions...

Hi everybody! I'm a bit new to this, so not sure if this is the right place to ask, but we just got our chickens this past Sunday and one of them is making a weird quiet sort of clucking noise and seems to have phlegm or something in her mouth. when I finally caught her to have a closer look, it was gone and she sounded fine... should I be worried still? can chickens catch a cold or something? I've looked all over this site, but there's just too many conflicting opinions...
:welcome and welcome to our thread :frow!
Sure way to tell is hold your ear against her, listen for gurgle sounds. It ould have been as simple as she took a drink of water.

the silkie isn't doing so great... she just sits in the corner or hides behind the waterer. I was told that getting another chicken her size would help her... thoughts?

Looks like a nice group and a nice house.

Did you get them as adults?

Often if a bird is isolating in a corner, it is feeling sick. But sometimes it is being picked on and hides and can become depressed.

Looks like a nice group and a nice house.

Did you get them as adults?

Often if a bird is isolating in a corner, it is feeling sick. But sometimes it is being picked on and hides and can become depressed.
Thanks! The silkie is 10 months, brahmas 1yr, the rest over a year... a friend of ours wanted to reduce his flock before winter, so we got them from him and kind of did a rush job on the coop... the in-laws were going to throw away a 12x12 shed, so we dismantled it, brought it home and sort of changed it around more to our liking.
I think she's getting picked on, but I have seen her fight back a bit. I've also been sneaking out there in the middle of the night to see who's where and she's up roosting with the others
20181022_065820_LI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom