INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hey all! Hope everyone is staying warm! I finished the coop and even managed to put some Christmas lights on it before the weather turned! I also have an Easter Egger rooster that needs to find a nice free range home. He is super alert and super concerned about the safety of his hens, I am worried about his protective nature with my two very young nephews and have no real need for a rooster. Clearly this is not a great time of year to have to rehome a rooster but it is sure worth a shot! He has a beard and is just getting his big boy feathers in....18 weeks old. Here are a couple of pictures of "Shrek".

I'm really loving the way the coop turned out. I will have to post more pics when the weather gets nicer. We've already talked about extending the run in the Spring to give them more space. I added 5 feet onto the plans as it was and would eventually like them to have even more room. We will also utilize "chunnels" to give them access to grass. Way too many hawks in this neck of the woods to do much free ranging. My neighbor two houses down has lost 18 chickens to predators in the last 4 months!

I finished my MBA the middle of December and have had construction going on in the house as a bathroom gets remodeled. Project houses are so stressful! I'm going through some job turmoil at work as "restructuring" has been announced (fingers crossed that it ends up being a positive thing) and am in the beginning stage of starting a side business with a friend from my MBA team. Exciting things ahead!

Is anyone else already planning ahead to ordering chicks for Spring? I fully plan to get a couple of Bielies and maybe a crested cream legbar for some pretty eggs!!!!

View attachment 1642356 View attachment 1642357 View attachment 1642358
Congrats on completing your degree!
Your coop looks great!
I knew it was just a matter of time until you got bielies again!

Yes I still have guinea fowl... And they are finally "getting it". Me to the Guineas-If you sleep in your coop at night you won't be eaten by predators Guineas! Owls love to eat you :smack!
They are noisy and loud at times, yes. Eat a lot of mice and bugs, help watch out for my chickens. Keep snakes, small predators away from the eggs. Attack hawks going after your chickens and scream their tiny little heads off at stray dogs, anything strange period or unknown cars. They can be a bit annoying but once you recognize the calls... you are glad you have them. I admit I was seriously considering processing the whole guinea flock a short time back. Now that they have finally stayed put on the property and coop up at night they will stay.

Miss @ellymayRans
There's so many friends we don't see anymore.
@Mother2Hens especially, what a good heart and caring soul.

Unfortunately, it's not isolated to our thread, either. Lots of familiar usernames have become inactive since the most recent changeover to this forum system. :( Not that the site is doing poorly as a result because many more stayed active than those that left, but there are some names I definitely miss seeing posts from.

Yes I still have guinea fowl... And they are finally "getting it". Me to the Guineas-If you sleep in your coop at night you won't be eaten by predators Guineas! Owls love to eat you :smack!
They are noisy and loud at times, yes. Eat a lot of mice and bugs, help watch out for my chickens. Keep snakes, small predators away from the eggs. Attack hawks going after your chickens and scream their tiny little heads off at stray dogs, anything strange period or unknown cars. They can be a bit annoying but once you recognize the calls... you are glad you have them. I admit I was seriously considering processing the whole guinea flock a short time back. Now that they have finally stayed put on the property and coop up at night they will stay.

I still go back and forth on mine. There are some days they wear on my nerves more than others. They've never given me problems cooping up (save for the few times when one has suddenly become blind to where the door is on the coop--I mean, come on, it's not like it moves! :rant ), but I had to adjust my free-ranging routine for them last year because we caught them in the road or across it in the neighbor's yard on more than one occasion. Dumb birds! :rolleyes: My girls do heed their warnings to stay alert when hawks are around, though, so they do still serve a purpose, especially during free-range. Not sure I'll replenish the Guinea coop once these guys start dying off, though. :duc

I think Guineas sound like a lot of fun- just not us in our current home. I really love those spotted feathers for crafts!
I do enjoy them a lot, very funny to watch! I swear when they run it looks like wheels instead of legs lol! If you want to message me your address, I will send you feathers when the molt starts.

Unfortunately, it's not isolated to our thread, either. Lots of familiar usernames have become inactive since the most recent changeover to this forum system. :( Not that the site is doing poorly as a result because many more stayed active than those that left, but there are some names I definitely miss seeing post

Also there are some like myself that forget some threads like this one that sporadically post here, BTW your right about the conversion, I was lurking around BYC before joining it, and the changed the format about the time I joined and there was an exodus then also of some old members leaving. plus you have to remember that there are some who's lifestyle or circumstances change and can't or won't come back.

For those of you that mix your own feed:

I just purchased a bag of Fertrel Nutribalancer (poultry, organic). I usually don't have to purchase a whole bag as someone will let me purchase some out of their bag. But they didn't have an open bag this time.

So...if anyone would like to share the bag please let me know. I can measure it out by the lb. and charge what I paid for it. Even if you just want a few lbs that would be great!

You can send me a PM

@JanetMarie

Also there are some like myself that forget some threads like this one that sporadically post here, BTW your right about the conversion, I was lurking around BYC before joining it, and the changed the format about the time I joined and there was an exodus then also of some old members leaving. plus you have to remember that there are some who's lifestyle or circumstances change and can't or won't come back.
Agreed, I was away several months when my Mom passed in 2017. I'm the executor for Dad too, and had to settle her estate. It was quite a learning experience, so I got legal help... Anyways yes life events. I almost got out of keeping poultry and livestock at that point, DH, my brother and several folks right here talked me out of it lol. @Indyshent was gracious enough to keep part of my flock while I got things settled and back in order. When she's ready for poultry again, I see free chicks in her future ;)!

Back
Top Bottom