INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

2 very pregnant goats, we are moving the 3 girls to the garden area for kidding. My lil baby girl Pepper is not showing any sign of pregnancy yet, but she will feel lost without her mom. Goat poop is like rabbits, it can be used directly on a garden rather than composting it like cows. We went with Premiere 1 electric netting 164ft. I use the huge IBC totes as goat houses when I move the girls around, or the boys in the summer. I'll move the milk stanchion and put up a "hoop house" to keep rain and snow out of my milking area right inside the fence. Will share pics once this is done, hopefully tomorrow.

The goat kids need trained to electric, and the charger I went with is half the current of my cow pasture charger. Its quite a jolt from the 50 mile charger, usually holds 8000 volts.. (trust me been bit more than once) I worry its a bit much for the kids. I also prefer them to have a calm quiet space for my girls to kid. My wether Red and Bucks will stay with the bull and steers. With adding the 3 Herefords and 3 calves this last year that's too many noses that need to leave a new mom and baby alone.

Our puppy tried to get into the bathroom trash can today. This is how I knew:
1.jpg
2.jpg

:lau
This puppy gets into everything. He knows how to open most doors in the house, so locking him out of a room only works if we actually use LOCKS.

Apparently he stuck his head all the way into the can & took the lid with him when pulling his head out.

Poor pup is getting neutered at the end of the month, so I guess he better get used to wearing a cone.

Last edited:
View attachment 1646204 View attachment 1646205

This puppy gets into everything. He knows how to open most doors in the house, so locking him out of a room only works if we actually use LOCKS.

Apparently he stuck his head all the way into the can & took the lid with him when pulling his head out.

Poor pup is getting neutered at the end of the month, so I guess he better get used to wearing a cone.
Goodness My Remington the cone, that was a horrible mess. So scared. Remi is a very lovey dog and so timid of new things. He would not come out of his crate. I took it off him after a week he was so afraid. He was older of course that didn't help. Remi is 3 now. DD worked too many hours and she felt he was spending too many hours crated.

View attachment 1646204 View attachment 1646205

He has a naughty 'I got caught, but lease help me' look in the first picture. In the second one he has a sweet look.

I think the thing I dislike most about winter is frozen eggs! Was late getting eggs collected this morning and ugh some were already cracked. I do cook them and feed back to the birds. This evening 2 were already cracked also. Got busy making repairs from wind damage.
My tiny cheap greenhouse survived the wind/freezing rain so far. We had some trees and large branches fall. Checked my electric fence lines 1st thing, no one needs cows out! It's down 2k volts, only showed 6,000 so I know there's a branch or 2 somewhere. Our new rain shelter for the cows did ok, but the cover (repurposed billboard) partially worked loose. Did not move my goat does, its a bad idea to move livestock during a harsh weather event. And of course the cows chose to stay out in the snow and wind instead of sleeping in the warmer shelters :idunno.

How's everyone doing with the cold this morning? It supposedly hit -11° F last night here. Was -7° when I went out to the birds this morning, and is a whole 1° now. BRRR!! The girls are keeping busy despite the temps! I gave them the leaves I collected in the fall and added another bale of shavings to the coop for them to snug down in. I need to make a run out to check on water again soon and collect any eggs before they freeze!

sunroom activity.jpg leaf pile.jpg favorite corner.jpg

Mavis says, "Somebody better turn up the thermostat!!"

Mavis grumpy.jpg

Oh, and did anyone else check out the eclipse last night? I grabbed a picture, but it's not great. I need a better lens for these types of shots!

super blood wolf moon jan 20-21, 2019 - approx. midnight.jpg

I think the thing I dislike most about winter is frozen eggs!
Yep. I found a frozen turkey egg this morning.

I'm trying to collect a few turkey eggs for @Nyla (so she can test fertility for me, since I do not want more turkeys). However, that silly bird keeps laying them up on a shelf 7' above ground. If the egg drops the whole 7', it's usually cracked..... then devoured by the flock. If it stays up there (above my head) or wedges itself on a cross support, it's hidden from view and gets frozen. (especially in these temps!)

How's everyone doing with the cold this morning? It supposedly hit -11° F last night here. Was -7° when I went out to the birds this morning, and is a whole 1° now. BRRR!! The girls are keeping busy despite the temps! I gave them the leaves I collected in the fall and added another bale of shavings to the coop for them to snug down in. I need to make a run out to check on water again soon and collect any eggs before they freeze!

View attachment 1648616 View attachment 1648618 View attachment 1648617

Mavis says, "Somebody better turn up the thermostat!!"

View attachment 1648619

Oh, and did anyone else check out the eclipse last night? I grabbed a picture, but it's not great. I need a better lens for these types of shots!

View attachment 1648621
Great pics! We were at 7 degrees last night, dropped to 5 early this morning. My nest boxes are out side of the coop, so I know that why the eggs are freezing. Cows don't care one bit they are snuggling together tho. Funny seeing a goat sleeping on a cow, gotta get pics!

Chickens flat refused to free range today. Even my Muscovy refused to leave the coop. More frozen eggs, ugh. I've got 4 dozen + in the fridge and froze some. Made up 2 dozen hard boiled, and used another 2 dozen for egg salad. I do have 1 Pekin duck laying now at least.
Today was lockdown for my Maran eggs, 8 appear to have made it. 2 are iffy but that's ok. Set up the brooder already. I'm actually kinda excited, have hardly hatched anything the last 2 years.

Yep. I found a frozen turkey egg this morning.

I'm trying to collect a few turkey eggs for @Nyla (so she can test fertility for me, since I do not want more turkeys). However, that silly bird keeps laying them up on a shelf 7' above ground. If the egg drops the whole 7', it's usually cracked..... then devoured by the flock. If it stays up there (above my head) or wedges itself on a cross support, it's hidden from view and gets frozen. (especially in these temps!)
One trick I learned with turkeys is either a large tote with some hay, or a piece of plywood leaned against a wall giving her privacy. I had 1 do what yours is, but she preferred the plywood lean-to nest after I put it up. They are ground nesters naturally. Every egg clutch I've found was in a bush, or next to a building. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom