pipdzipdnreadytogo

Dorking Queen
Premium member
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Just gave her about 5 tums crushed up in her water. Hopefully it helps.
:fl How's she doing today?

Due to predators, my flock has been mostly cooped up. They usually run around a bit each morning while I clean & refill feeders. Then I call them back in & lock them up. Today while I was outside with them, poor Poof Poof (my son's Spitzhauben) was landed on by a hawk. I saw the scuffle & chased the hawk off while Poof Poof ran inside. i collected the rest from their hiding spots & then looked over Poof Poof. The only bloody spot is on her wing. I ran the wing under warm water & parted the feathers to generously spray Blu-kote. Thankfully I saw no wounds on the neck or body and the wing moves normally.

Is there any other care I should give right now? She's friendly but seriously dislikes being confined, so i returned her to the coop/run.
Oh, no! Thank goodness you were there to save her! I think you've done all you can / should for now, just keep an eye on her for sure.

My flock is locked down today, too, though from what I'm not sure. They were definitely spooked this morning and most of them were hiding in the coop anyway. Best to play it safe and close them in where I know they're safe. There has been a feral cat lurking around lately, though they haven't reacted this strongly to it in the couple weeks it's been around and it's only been after chipmunks and mice near as I can tell... Anyway, I hope whatever has them spooked moves on quickly when it realizes there are no chicken dinners to be had here. :fl

one squeezed through the bars and attacked my frizzle rooster. The guinea flock crowded the shed, I got my fella out and the guineas killed it.
Wish my Guineas were this useful! The worst thing they've ever mobbed was an already dead mole. :rolleyes:

Chaneys Ranch

Formerly jchny2000
Premium member
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
Pendleton, Indiana, USA
Eggs are slowing down, even the new layers. 1 egg today :(! I suspect the leghorn found a hiding spot in the large log pile waiting to be split for firewood. They are in with my Oberhasli goats and Belle our LGD. Their current spot is by the barn, clearing brush that grew up around the logs late summer. We will move them again this weekend to another brushy area, time to split wood for the barn's furnace. Belle tolerates the Leghorn very well until they think they should share her dog food! She lets out a loud bark and they all go flying. I'll try to get a picture they often cuddle up around her in the cold mornings.

pipdzipdnreadytogo

Dorking Queen
Premium member
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
@pipdzipdnreadytogo she’s maybe doing a bit better this morning, I gave her two hot epsom salt baths yesterday. I’m beginning to think she might not be eggbound. I read they usually don’t make it past 48 hours if they don’t pass the egg, and it been more than 72.
I've heard of egg binding lasting upwards of a week before resolving, but 72 hours is about the outer limit in normal cases, I think, so it's probably not that... I wish there was more I could do to help from here. :hmm I hope she pulls through, whatever ailment it turns out to be! :fl

My wonderful girl Nova gave birth to a litter of 8 puppies last night! 4 females and 4 males!
:eek: Congrats! That's a lot of puppies!!

Eggs are slowing down, even the new layers. 1 egg today :(! I suspect the leghorn found a hiding spot in the large log pile waiting to be split for firewood. They are in with my Oberhasli goats and Belle our LGD. Their current spot is by the barn, clearing brush that grew up around the logs late summer. We will move them again this weekend to another brushy area, time to split wood for the barn's furnace. Belle tolerates the Leghorn very well until they think they should share her dog food! She lets out a loud bark and they all go flying. I'll try to get a picture they often cuddle up around her in the cold mornings.
Aw, that stinks! Tricky birds! That sounds adorable with your LGD, though. :love There's only so much patience one can have when it comes to food thieves. :lol:

Chaneys Ranch

Formerly jchny2000
Premium member
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
Pendleton, Indiana, USA
:barnie1 week away from Thanksgiving and my smaller turkey, Christmas "flipped", found him this morning. Ugh! The term "flipped" means had a heart attack, flip on their back and die. If it had just happened I would have harvested him, but he was ice cold so hard telling when he died. Could have been as much as 12 hours, not OK with me to take that risk. The bigger fella thanksgiving is doing fine for now, except he is the only turkey! He is housed with the rooster flock so he has friends. Hoping he holds out til Monday when he will be processed. Its a big downfall for the broad breasted hybrid turkeys. I do free range them and haven't had it happen in a few years. Soo Christmas dinner will be a store bought turkey this year. I normally get several turkey poults in spring didn't do it this year. Just ugh.
We've been grinding and mixing our own feed a while now for all the animals. I get peas from Azure standard, Fertrell nutrabalancer, and corn from a local farmer. Saving us a fortune, sorry TSC & RK! I'm going to continue with peas for the goats, waterfowl and poultry, but I've worked out buying soybean in bulk from Kokomo grain. I'm working towards being organic but its hard to do and very expensive with the cows. We are currently feeding 8 head of cattle soon to be 9. And calves due any day! The closest local source for organic corn is Terre Haute.

Top Bottom