INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hello fellow Hoosiers! Nice to see this forum so busy! i'm near Middlebury, 5 min from the MI line. I've kept chickens 5 years now, and really like colorful plumage and eggs...I wish i had better pics, but i've got issues with my camera...this is a cellphone pic of my sink ;~)
I have 16 chickens, Ameraucanas, a pair of Araucanas, a buff Orp, a barred rock, two pairs of Barnevelders, and two random roosters, a splash Blue-laced Red Wyandotte (who is available to a good home!) and a gimpy Marans/Ameraucana mix.

I have a very lonely 3 year old India Blue peacock, if anybody knows where I can get him a girlfriend, please PM me! I also need a good Ameraucana rooster.

I was diligently live-trapping coons and possums last fall, so far i don't have any of those, and all but my Araucanas are too big for hawks, so I haven't lost any of my free-ranging birds this year...yet. I'm hoping to hire someone to build a flight/ breeding cage for a peahen, and some breeding runs for the chickens.

I'm thinking we're just gonna go from winter to summer this year?

Where is the link to be on the state member list?

Last edited:
Well, I set up my brooder yesterday, I*t's a large plastic tote, I put a thermometer with a probe taped to the bottom of the cage, I put in pine shavings and am testing the heat level and trying to get it rite before I go get my chic's, I've done lots of reading, just wondering if I should sprinkle some of the Datmatious earth on the bottom of the brooder, or does it go into the feed? I'm gonna have only 5-6 chic's so this cage should be good size for a few weeks, I'm also going to make a wire lid for it too. What do you guys think?

Instar- christybmom is maybe looking for a Roo. I believe she is in the north. PM her.

Haws and crows- I have a lot of both! Don't seem to pay any attention to each other.

I took the chicks outside yesterday. Although not ideal temperatures, figured a bit of sunshine would be wonderful, first feel of grass on the feet. They spent their whole time huddled together and not doing anything... Pfft.

20 mins later, packed them up and brought them back inside... Big weenies!

Although did give me enough time to clean out my bathroom (where they are currently staying). The amount of dust that comes from the fluff they loose is amazing.
My first chickens took over my guest bathtub until they were several months old (moral to that one is do not get chickens heading into the cold weather, have to stay inside longer). DH said not this time. He he making a spot in the mini barn to put them in until they are outside ready.
I thought i was the only one raising chicks in the bathroom...I have a modular, those stupid "garden tubs" make a great brooder. At least until they can jump out, and start picking at the wallpaper. Oh, well, it was ugly anyway.

I want to be on the Indiana list. I am in Roanoke, IN. I'm looking for French Black Copper Maran hens who are laying or are at least started pullets from good stock. Anybody out there have any or know of any, nearby?

I want to be on the Indiana list. I am in Roanoke, IN. I'm looking for French Black Copper Maran hens who are laying or are at least started pullets from good stock. Anybody out there have any or know of any, nearby?

I don't know how far you want to go, or even if she sells grown birds, but I talked to Wynette last fall about FBCM eggs...she's near Flint, MI. I think she's a moderator here.

http://www.adamsonacres.com/details.htm

Well, I set up my brooder yesterday, I*t's a large plastic tote, I put a thermometer with a probe taped to the bottom of the cage, I put in pine shavings and am testing the heat level and trying to get it rite before I go get my chic's, I've done lots of reading, just wondering if I should sprinkle some of the Datmatious earth on the bottom of the brooder, or does it go into the feed? I'm gonna have only 5-6 chic's so this cage should be good size for a few weeks, I'm also going to make a wire lid for it too. What do you guys think?
Looks good.. Same set up I have, but I now have chicken wire set over the top as they can now fly the to the edge of the tub and get out. Hearing distress calls several times a day for me to put them back in. The wire fixed that.

I thought i was the only one raising chicks in the bathroom...I have a modular, those stupid "garden tubs" make a great brooder. At least until they can jump out, and start picking at the wallpaper. Oh, well, it was ugly anyway.
lol, My last years batch were in September, so they stayed in doors for several months, biggest and most secure place to put them was in my bathtub. Phew did they make a mess, ended up lining the bathroom floor with brown paper. We have a standard tub, with some not so deep sides. Did not take long for them to learn perching on the edge of the tub was the best thing ever... although butts were pointed outside the tub!! Made them a temporary roost with a closet rail wired tied to two bricks, fit perfect in the tub, they all sleep on it. Took a solid day to clean and disinfect the bathroom. Would never known it was a part time chicken coop.

Oh and welcome to the thread.

Back
Top Bottom