INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

One coop finished, three to go! Cheek it out! More chicks arriving tomorrow. Have some Silver Dorkings on the way and a mess of meat chicks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/757930/grow-out-coop-using-a-plastic-skid#post_10902761

Last edited:
Welcome Countrygirl!

vickichicki~ Wow, you're a pool shark! Cool. Glad to hear you are feeling better, and sorry to hear about your lavender. I wish that BYC had an iPad app, too! We will have to PM the owners.

Re: Indiana Living~ I really like Indy. My daughter as well as a close friend live there, so I'm a regular visitor. My friend moved there this past year from a Chicago suburb, and she loves that people are so friendly there. Of the places I've visited in Indiana, to live I would pick Bloomington (I'm proud to say I'm liberal) and next, Indy.

animallover~ How are all of your patients today? Ms. May and Mr. Frizz? The Brahma frostbite case and the attacked/injured ones?

Hey y'all these are my new babies. 13 RIR's, all hens. I am looking for some Silkies and Muscovy ducks if anyone knows where to find them locally. I am in the southeastern part of the state, about 10 minutes from the KY border.
Hi there! I am in Brownstown, IN. Don't know how far you are from me but I do have some Silkies for sale. Ages 1 week, 3.5 weeks, 4 months and some hatching tonight/tomorrow too (30 in the bator so fingers crossed but not "counting them" before they hatch
fl.gif
but I hear cheeping-woot!!). I have a couple of blue, dark blue/black (hard to tell at this point if they are true black or not yet), partridge, white and taupe/khaki. I have a few showgirls too. All are pet-little better than pet quality but not SQ. We are gradually improving our pet stock and breeding toward show standards but aren't fully there yet. You can PM me if I am not too far and you are interested. Here are some early pics of the 3.5 week olds:

Today was moving day for the girls but they can't figure out how to use the ladder leading to the run... Will they eventually figure it out?

Hello everyone! I live in Dyer, IN and I'm very new to the world of keeping chickens. My city currently doesn't allow chickens but I want to start working on changing that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as any local support!!!

Hi Hoosiers! I just joined today-- have been researching for a few weeks but don't have any chicks yet. I would like to have my coop mostly/all built before I even get my chicks.
Oh, I live in Woodburn, east of Fort Wayne.

I'm planning on getting around 5 or 6 chicks- at least 1 Barred Rock and 1 EE. Still working on the other breeds. I keep changing my mind. There are so many breeds that I'd like to have.

I love that there is a "local" board here!

Nice to meet everyone and I look forward to talking with everyone.

-Wende

Today was moving day for the girls but they can't figure out how to use the ladder leading to the run... Will they eventually figure it out?

They will work it out. As long as it is not too steep and has some foot holds on the ladder they will be fine.
The small run I made today was the first time out for my bantams. As soon as I opened the door one flew right out and down. Spend 20mins crying on the floor before deciding he can use the two branches I have wedged in the run to get back in. Once he jumped on the bottom branch.. He was home free.

Keep an eye on them while they are out.. If they are using the ladder but spend the whole time flapping their wings and are unable to climb further, it is too steep.

Hi Hoosiers! I just joined today-- have been researching for a few weeks but don't have any chicks yet. I would like to have my coop mostly/all built before I even get my chicks.

I'm planning on getting around 5 or 6 chicks- at least 1 Barred Rock and 1 EE. Still working on the other breeds. I keep changing my mind. There are so many breeds that I'd like to have.

-Wende
Welcome to the group, glad you found us !!!!

Hello everyone! I live in Dyer, IN and I'm very new to the world of keeping chickens. My city currently doesn't allow chickens but I want to start working on changing that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as any local support!!!

Sorry to hear you can not have chickens where you are. It is pretty sad to hear as chickens are not a nuisance or even as loud as some people's chained up dogs that won't quit barking.

If you back out to the BYC main forums listing, under 'raising backyard chickens' there is a sub heading of 'local ordinances and how to change them'. There is a search on the thread page at the top. Try typing in your city and see if someone else has discussed your area before... If nit.. Try starting a thread there.

Hi Hoosiers! I just joined today-- have been researching for a few weeks but don't have any chicks yet. I would like to have my coop mostly/all built before I even  get my chicks.

-Wende

Glad you found us! It is nice you are shopping around for breeds. I think a lot of us ended up with chickens before we even knew what breed was what. People have some great opinions on here regarding what breeds are best.

I have some laying age RIRs. A few mixed bantams and finally got some ee's and orpingtons. Love them all.

When you have decided on breeds ask here what people are currently hatching or if someone is interested in trading etc. Might be a chicken out there you did not k ow you wanted until it was on offer :D

Back
Top Bottom