INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I was on the Rare Breed Auctions website yesterday and saw 'Laughing Chicken' hatching eggs. I thought to myself 'what kind of crazy is this?' So, I went to the website that had listed the eggs for sale (to see if it was real) and checked out their information about the Laughing Chicken, and the Ayam Ketawa breed video. It made me chuckle.

So, I went on to learn more about this breed. Naturally, my research involved YouTube, where I found a few videos that also made me chuckle and smile.
0.jpg

0.jpg

At the end, I found this funny video on YouTube that was under the 'Laughing chickens' heading that really cracked me up.
0.jpg

Thought I'd share this for a Friday smile, and chastize all of you with turkeys for not sharing this before!
lau.gif

Since we are talking about Mareks disease I thought it might be a good time to bring up a question I had about quarietining.

When you quareitene your new birds what all do you give them or check for?

I just want to see what other peoples methods are of quarintening.

Thanks to everyone who commented on my sick flock and gave me info. I really appreciate it. I'm going to try and find some Erythromycin. I think it's pretty common and will check with my vet on price there. Even though I am surrounded by Perdue and Farbest farms, the vets around here do not do much with chickens. I think awhile back someone was talking about Perdue doing necropsies, anyone have info on that?

What are people's thoughts on eating the eggs after medicating? I know we can't contract the actual disease, but is there any residual effects from them? I won't ever incubate any now...

The most practical thing for me would be to probably cull the whole flock. But how do you do that being so attached!! I have a list of breeds I would love to add, but that would only be trouble in the long run.

There are so many possibilities and what if's, etc. There are no easy answers or solutions.

Well, it looks like I have my work cut out for me. I'll keep everyone posted.

barnie.gif

I had a necropsy done on one chicken. Cost was $80 + $10 fee and blood test was I'm guessing $35. The total came to $125. Here's the link to pricing. You can also find their phone number and addy there as well. You might want to call them and talk with the vet, describe the symptoms to him and see what he says. There may be a test of the blood or feather you could have done. They would be able to help you more with that than I can though. These are my first chickens, and I really just have no idea. I am glad others were able to give you some ideas. There are some very very smart people here!

https://www.addl.purdue.edu/TestsFees/BySpecies.aspx

I would toss any egg from the chickens if they were given any antibiotic. What goes for the chicken goes for you. You don't want to build up an immunity to it in case the meds go through to the egg. But I'd cull.

Its not any easy choice. Some say no choice at all, meds all the way they are my pets! Reality. Chickens are farm animals. (that's how I see them) If the flock is ill, put them out of their misery.

I have to run my daughter to work. But when I get back I'll post some pics of how I packaged up my chicken to send to Purdue. Very important...do not freeze the dead chicken. keep her in a bag in the fridge.

Thanks to everyone who commented on my sick flock and gave me info. I really appreciate it. I'm going to try and find some Erythromycin. I think it's pretty common and will check with my vet on price there. Even though I am surrounded by Perdue and Farbest farms, the vets around here do not do much with chickens. I think awhile back someone was talking about Perdue doing necropsies, anyone have info on that?

What are people's thoughts on eating the eggs after medicating? I know we can't contract the actual disease, but is there any residual effects from them? I won't ever incubate any now...

The most practical thing for me would be to probably cull the whole flock. But how do you do that being so attached!! I have a list of breeds I would love to add, but that would only be trouble in the long run.

There are so many possibilities and what if's, etc. There are no easy answers or solutions.

barnie.gif
amwchicken~ Not sure if you are referring to Perdue Chicken Farms in Washington, Indiana or Purdue University in West Lafayette. Julie0477 recently had post-mortem lab tests done on one of her hens, so you might PM her. I remember discussion about Purdue U labs and about the Indiana Poultry Association, but can't remember specifics. I need to look that up when I get a chance so we have it posted on the members' page. I found this: https://www.addl.purdue.edu/TestsFees/FeeSchedule2011.pdf It says chicken necropsy is $115 plus $12 in fees. I suppose if you were a chicken farmer, it would be worth the cost.

This is from my "Chicken Health for Dummies" book, but this text was found online:
Is it safe to eat a hen's eggs after you medicated her?

Any medication given to a laying hen can end up in the eggs that she produces, sometimes for several weeks after being dosed. Very few medications have been studied thoroughly to determine how long they’ll contaminate the eggs of medicated hens, and therefore, very few medications have been approved for use in laying hens.

I'm sure you're more interested in getting your chickens well than worrying about eating eggs.
I need to run now, but here is this link that probably has info:
http://www.inpoultry.org

Yes my vet contacted purdue for me and they were able to do the necropsy at no charge. I did end up spending about $100 at the vet for the visit which included exam, Xrays, and ultimately euthanasia. I'm not sure why they gave me this deal, but my vet handled all of it. Euthanized the poor lil guy, packed him up and shipped him (I paid for shipping). The vet called me with the results. Purdue does not however do mareks blood testing although that is available thru Texas a&m. I chose the necropsy because 1. They offered it at no charge and 2. It would give me a broader look at what's going on in my flock than one Disease specific blood test. They checked for tumors, infection, parasites, took tissue samples of the organs, and looked for other abnormalities. Abnormalities would have led to further testing but In my case it all came back clean and pointed to injury as the cause. It's worth calling and asking about price. They may cut you a better deal than what's on the site. I've read of other people getting it done for free as well.

[COLOR=8B4513]Despite pipd's past warnings about coop fires, I have heat in my coop just as I had last winter. I understand the danger and I am as careful as possible. However, I have what are known as Anthromorphized Domesticated Pets who are my surrogate children since I have an empty nest. They clearly enjoy a little heat after a cold, wet day.[/COLOR]

:tongue ...Just kidding, but I do have something I want to say here.

My birds are Anthropomorphized Domesticated Pets as well, and beloved at that. I would do anything for these birds. I know them individually, I know what each and every one of their temperaments are like, what each one of them likes and dislikes, and how each one prefers to be held (some of them, the answer is not at all, but most have their preferred method). And don't even get me started on Frou-Frou, my darling baby who comes running to mommy when the older hens pick on her and must have her nightly visit to the house ore she mopes on the perches. I don't have any human children of my own (though I have a niece and nephew--talk about the poster children for abstinence). These birds are my children. They are that important to me.

That being said, the difference between our methods of caring for our birds is that I have taken the time to research extensively, and I have made a rational decision about what my birds need. I do not coddle them to make myself feel better in a case where the disadvantages and dangers are greater than the advantages of doing something. I am absolutely sure they appreciate the heat on a cold day. I'm equally as sure that they appreciate getting treats, but this does not mean I'm going to stop feeding them their balanced diet and only give them mealworms and table scraps. As a matter of fact, it would be more rational to provide them with air conditioning in the summertime than it would be to heat a coop. Chickens do far worse in the heat of summer than they do with cold, and this goes especially for many of the breeds you have listed in your signature (Easter-eggers and Wyandottes are practically designed to take the cold with those tiny combs and fluffy bodies).

As much as I can say it, though, I know that I can't make anyone do what they don't want to do. I do my best to educate, and from there it is out of my hands. Your flock, your choices. That is all.

A discussion of Mareks Disease (MD), Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG), and [COLOR=FF0000]bio-security[/COLOR] that just finished on the Heritage Large Fowl thread might be of interest to all on this thread, but to [COLOR=0000FF]amwchickin[/COLOR] and [COLOR=0000FF]pipd[/COLOR] in particular.  The upshot of much of the talk between those mostly showers and breeders, as I read it, seems to be that MD and MG are everywhere, and it is inevitable that chickens will contract them, so there is no sense in taking bio-security measures or culling sick birds. Some believe that the strong will survive and will produce stronger progeny, while those birds who need meds to survive or who survive poorly should be culled. A few saw no reason not to take these survivor birds (who carry and spread disease) to shows or sell them, since they believe that the diseases are unavoidable anyway.  It all seemed like a great way to ensure the spread of disease  The discussion runs on the Heritage Large Fowl thread from page 1588, post #15873, through page 1595.  

This burns me up a bit. This has to be the most irresponsible thing I have heard in a long time. :mad: I'm not going to say anything else because others have said it better and I don't want to be banned for the language I'd be tempted to use. :rant

What are people's thoughts on eating the eggs after medicating? I know we can't contract the actual disease, but is there any residual effects from them?  I won't ever incubate any now... 

:barnie

Usually, when medicating a flock, eggs are withdrawn for two weeks or so. As someone else said (sorry, missed the quote button), a lot of these meds aren't tested on chickens, so you really don't know. I generally withdraw eggs for 10-14 days after the last dose of a medicine unless I've seen where a longer withdrawal period is recommended.

Back
Top Bottom