INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I live in the city of Fort Wayne, IN and I am trying to get a group together to approach the City Counsel about changing the laws. Fort Wayne currently allows zero livestock no questions, no restrictions, just none in city limits. I would greatly appreciate any feedback or guidance.
Thank you!

I have the rope lighting too. I got my timer from ebay. They are at the PO now waiting for me to pick up. I liked them so much I ordered more for actual Christmas use.
These are the ones I got. I made an offer and ended up with each one being $10 but I got 3 and shipping was clearly combined.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Day-dual-...6357320?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item3cd0841ec8

My DH finished the the homemade dry feeder for winter use. We got it set up in the coop tonight. It is almost identical to John's design. The things we modified were to have an opening on both sides, no grate, and a plastic shower curtain covering the top to make cleanup easier. The size is also different, much longer. I asked for multiple feeders but DH was against the extra effort given our coop layout. Having multiple feeders would have been beneficial once the feeders were moved outside but I plan to use feeding troughs with wet feed come March.
Now I still need to come up with a great watering station for winter. My younger chicks won't leave the coop so I need something I can have in the litter that won't spill.
I was thinking of a gutter style water but I need some kind of feet system to keep it from spilling. Any designs with pictures are welcome.

Then for those that have incubating experience, What are the guidelines for setting 2 yolk eggs? I was thinking they were not hatchable but I think CCC...Chickens posted otherwise. I am getting mainly 2 yolk eggs from my HRIR right now and I would like some new year chicks.

I have the rope lighting too. I got my timer from ebay. They are at the PO now waiting for me to pick up. I liked them so much I ordered more for actual Christmas use.
These are the ones I got. I made an offer and ended up with each one being $10 but I got 3 and shipping was clearly combined.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Day-dual-...6357320?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item3cd0841ec8

My DH finished the the homemade dry feeder for winter use. We got it set up in the coop tonight. It is almost identical to John's design. The things we modified were to have an opening on both sides, no grate, and a plastic shower curtain covering the top to make cleanup easier. The size is also different, much longer. I asked for multiple feeders but DH was against the extra effort given our coop layout. Having multiple feeders would have been beneficial once the feeders were moved outside but I plan to use feeding troughs with wet feed come March.
Now I still need to come up with a great watering station for winter. My younger chicks won't leave the coop so I need something I can have in the litter that won't spill.
I was thinking of a gutter style water but I need some kind of feet system to keep it from spilling. Any designs with pictures are welcome.

Then for those that have incubating experience, What are the guidelines for setting 2 yolk eggs? I was thinking they were not hatchable but I think CCC...Chickens posted otherwise. I am getting mainly 2 yolk eggs from my HRIR right now and I would like some new year chicks.
So people strictly won't hatch them, but I have seen youtube videos of people hatching them. There isnt a reason you cant hatch them, but often result in assisting one of the chicks, if they both develop. Just how people say not to hatch pullet eggs, people o all the time though. It is really just personal preference.

I have a heat tape on some pipe in my barn, it's never smelled. This is my second season using it.
I wonder if I could put a heat tape on my trash can that has my fermented feed in it??

Push the heat tape down into the goo to the bottom of the trash can. It will waste no heat that way. You could wrap the can with insulation or a blanket to better retain heat.

John

I was on pet smarts website. And was looking at bird things, and found out they now sell chicken coops there

I like the looks of the premade coops but they don't function that well for me and my use of the deep litter method with larger chickens.

I think I have 2 negatives going against me for getting new years chicks the double yolks are pullet eggs. Well the hens are older but new to laying as the heritage RIR don't start laying as soon as the production ones.

The ideal for JG's (and Java's) is yellow bottoms on the feet. The same goes with white on the bottoms for Australorps. So it could one or the other, but since the other two seem to be mixed breeds, I'd lean towards her being a mix also. If she stays the same size as the other chickens, call her an Australorp mix. If she gets really big, then I'd call her a JG mix.
smile.png
Either way, your getting eggs from her, which is more than I can say for most of my ungrateful flock of on strike she-heathens.
I'm getting 18 eggs per day. Nynaaaaa. Nynaaaaaa. Nynaaaaaa.
tongue.png

John

I like the looks of the premade coops but they don't function that well for me and my use of the deep litter method with larger chickens.

I think I have 2 negatives going against me for getting new years chicks the double yolks are pullet eggs. Well the hens are older but new to laying as the heritage RIR don't start laying as soon as the production ones.
My mom went to Rural King with me and wouldn't quite talking about the tiny coops they have there. She keeps saying I need one. I told her I would put one chicken in it, because I dont think they have hardly any room in them. I am not a fan of the premade coops. Plus I could build 5 breeding pens (probably more) for the price of one of the premade coops. I sadly not going to take part in the new years hatch :(

Hmm guess I'll never really know for sure. She is a pretty girl though. She seems kind of wild??? Doesn't like people is kind stand offish and tries ti run or get away when I open the pen to feed and water her. Is there a trick to taming her down that I don't know?

Yes. Get a pouch-in-the-front style baby carrier. Put the chicken in it and stich it shut with only an opening for the bird to stick out it's head. Carry her everywhere with you, only taking her out at roost time. After 3 weeks, let her go. She will be tame. Or, possibly, attack and kill you.
gig.gif

John

Back
Top Bottom