INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Well, my coop addition has a leak along the base somewhere. This morning, the dirt floor was mushy from wetness. :/ Darn rain! I'm thinking I can recycle some feed bags by burying them along the cinderblocks at the base and see if that helps guide the water away from it. I'm hoping adding some sand in there will help dry out the floor and keep the moisture down for now, though. I am not looking forward to it freezing up again...

The hens are fine for now, anyway. There wasn't any snow left here, so they get to free-range today. Margie's looking awful from running around in the rain. :lol: There's nothing funnier-looking than a soggy Silkie.

I saw this on another forum and thought I'd share. For all you pallet users, I think this tool would help a lot!
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pallet-Breaker/?lang=es
Oh, great post! Gonna show DH, he likes welding projects. He has a lot of scrap bar and angle to work with too!
Well, my coop addition has a leak along the base somewhere. This morning, the dirt floor was mushy from wetness.
hmm.png
Darn rain! I'm thinking I can recycle some feed bags by burying them along the cinderblocks at the base and see if that helps guide the water away from it. I'm hoping adding some sand in there will help dry out the floor and keep the moisture down for now, though. I am not looking forward to it freezing up again...

The hens are fine for now, anyway. There wasn't any snow left here, so they get to free-range today. Margie's looking awful from running around in the rain.
lol.png
There's nothing funnier-looking than a soggy Silkie.

Aww, looks like a big stink eye from her too!
"how dare anyone take my picture right now!"

Anyone that goes to the swaps, curious if anyone has seen ring necked or other pheasant at them. Considering them next year.
I have a local friend that may have a pair, but want a 1-2 more hens.
We have a flight pen planned out, and will complete it and then get the permit before getting birds.
I remember Jasper-Pulaski used to have several flight pens, but haven't been there in several years now.
I don't think they were offered for sale just released for hunts.

Well, my coop addition has a leak along the base somewhere. This morning, the dirt floor was mushy from wetness.
hmm.png
Darn rain! I'm thinking I can recycle some feed bags by burying them along the cinderblocks at the base and see if that helps guide the water away from it. I'm hoping adding some sand in there will help dry out the floor and keep the moisture down for now, though. I am not looking forward to it freezing up again...

The hens are fine for now, anyway. There wasn't any snow left here, so they get to free-range today. Margie's looking awful from running around in the rain.
lol.png
There's nothing funnier-looking than a soggy Silkie.

She doesnt look very happy. I hope you get your leak fixed!

Anyone that goes to the swaps, curious if anyone has seen ring necked or other pheasant at them. Considering them next year.
We have a flight pen planned out, and will complete it and then get the permit before getting birds.
I remember Jasper-Pulaski used to have several flight pens, but haven't been there in several years now.
I know two people who had some, but I am not sure they still have them. They were probably too far away. I don't go to many swaps but if i do and see any I will be sure to let you know

The wolf (lake) giant swap had quite a few last year. I can't recall if they had ring necks but definitely other varieties.

Okay, so as it turns out, the water that soaked the coop addition floor was actually flowing through the vent beneath the other section of the coop. The floor is saturated badly. I added sand on top and it looked dry still by the time I locked them up, so I'm hoping that will at least be a barrier to keep some of the moisture out of there. I'm afraid I'm going to be dealing with respiratory issues, though, and probably frostbite as well when the weather gets colder again. :/ Stinking rain!

So what I ended up having to do is dig a hole under the old section of the coop, which let what must have been gallons of water flow out in a rush, but now it seems emptied. I'm going to leave that drain hole there and hope that that keeps the addition from flooding again. This is what happens when you don't think hard enough about the location of your coop. We just put the coop together in the most convenient place, but the unfortunate thing is that it's an area that lots of water flows through, especially when it's been raining a lot. I think I might just save up and try to build a new coop on higher grounds. I'd move this one, but it's bolted down to cinder blocks and I don't think it'll move easily without being damaged.

Man, I cannot wait for 2013 to be over. :barnie

Brad- good idea about the pallet puller!! Looks like its perfect!!!

I got home to all wet chickens too!! And white silkies that are brown!! I did dry the worst one a bit and she wasn't happy either!!! Pip- I'm with you, 2013 over with!!!

Back
Top Bottom