INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

RIP Jersey [COLOR=8B4513]~ She came to live with us on June 12, 2012 and was put to sleep at the Veterinarian's on January 7, 2014. I was lucky to have her and she was lucky to have me. Jersey was the flock leader, my favorite chicken, and the only one who knew her name and could have a back and forth "conversation." (I'm not sure what we talked about, but she was very engaging!) I will miss her so much![/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Diagnosis: Large tumor mass growing, smaller tumors also -- Ovarian Cancer. Egg peritonitis could be secondary, but large tumor was primary problem. I asked the vet about pain since it was difficult to tell. He agreed that it's difficult to know, but typically chickens barely eat or quit eating when they're in pain. Jersey still ate and led the flock around, but not as enthusiastically as she used to do. At least she didn't have to suffer since I first noticed things weren't quite right a few weeks ago, so it hadn't progressed into a really bad condition. I didn't think I'd ever have a chicken in "Freezer Camp," but she's in the vet's freezer until the ground warms enough to bury here at home. (Total bill: $45 fyi) Very reasonable.[/COLOR]
Sorry to hear about this. I know it's hard to loose animals since we get so attached to them.

RIP Jersey ~ She came to live with us on June 12, 2012 and was put to sleep at the Veterinarian's on January 7, 2014. I was lucky to have her and she was lucky to have me. Jersey was the flock leader, my favorite chicken, and the only one who knew her name and could have a back and forth "conversation." (I'm not sure what we talked about, but she was very engaging!) I will miss her so much!
So sorry to hear of this
hugs.gif

Looks a lot like my driveway. Its been so cold the tractor won't start, so I had to shovel all 650 ft by hand. I just finished, and I'm so sore I think I'm gonna collapse.
OMG! You shovelled it all by hand! You get the prize for most snow shovelled by hand in the Indiana BYC thread. I was at the chicken fest last summer, so I know how long the driveway is.

My check is in the mail. Others here need to contribute.

RIP Jersey ~ She came to live with us on June 12, 2012 and was put to sleep at the Veterinarian's on January 7, 2014. I was lucky to have her and she was lucky to have me. Jersey was the flock leader, my favorite chicken, and the only one who knew her name and could have a back and forth "conversation." (I'm not sure what we talked about, but she was very engaging!) I will miss her so much!

Diagnosis: Large tumor mass growing, smaller tumors also -- Ovarian Cancer. Egg peritonitis could be secondary, but large tumor was primary problem. I asked the vet about pain since it was difficult to tell. He agreed that it's difficult to know, but typically chickens barely eat or quit eating when they're in pain. Jersey still ate and led the flock around, but not as enthusiastically as she used to do. At least she didn't have to suffer since I first noticed things weren't quite right a few weeks ago, so it hadn't progressed into a really bad condition. I didn't think I'd ever have a chicken in "Freezer Camp," but she's in the vet's freezer until the ground warms enough to bury here at home. (Total bill: $45 fyi) Very reasonable.

Sorry about your loss. For those who are not attached to their chickens, they would never know and even call us crazy.

BTW, the vet bill seems very reasonable.

Without going back and looking for the posts,

Too Fast and Racinchickins- the coops and pens pictures looked very nice! Loved seeing your chickens Patrick!

I just bought what I think may become my favorite winter chicken equipment.

I've been making several trips each time I have to go out there since I have been bringing 2 warm water jars to replace the ones out there (sometimes 3 depending on the circumstances), ff, some dry feed and BOSS, etc. etc. etc. Then I have to carry back the cold water jars, feed buckets, etc. It's been taking a lot of time just carrying things around. So...

Was at Menards this afternoon and bought one of these. Have used it this evening and it is a FANTASTIC addition to my equipment. Come to think of it, it would probably make a dandy dust bath container that would fit in a bunch of kiddos at once :D

3009red.jpg
Tied a rope on the front, of course.

eta: I even hauled a huge bag of peat moss out there effortlessly. Yep...loving this sled :D

Ha! We use sleds for going down the hill, and launching.

*Choo-Choo* The Hoosier Chicken Train is about to start up again! I will be traveling from Huntington County just south of Ft Wayne to the Lebanon area Saturday, Jan 18. I'd be happy to take chickens or eggs either direction if anyone needs them transported. This might be a good time to post if you have anything available incase someone who typically wouldn't be interested due to distance could take advantage of this!

Back
Top Bottom