INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

DH is raising the net, then I'll be moving the messy messy ducks out of my new chicken coop.
I'm so happy.

Of course there are so many tiny things that need to be done to move the ducks, but the biggest was raising the net as the snow had collapsed part of it.

Got to see Patrick today too. His Cream Legbar breeding program is sounding wonderful. It won't be long and everyone can start getting on his list for chicks.

Hey everyone!
Earlier today I posted about how I might get a barred rock roo and try to incubate some fertile eggs in the spring. I did all my research and I figured why not give it a go? I figured that as a budget, I will only spend money on a thermometer, humidifier, starter feed and feeder, and a chick waterer. Everything else needed I just might have.
I just found this awesome styrofoam/cooler combo with a seal tight latch lid in my basement.
I need opinions if it would be good enough to use as an incubator before I clean it.

I'm new to this hatching stuff.
jumpy.gif

In my opinion, by the time you buy all the stuff to make your own incubator, you could buy one at Rural King and have something that you could resell if you don't like it. Homemade incubators are nearly impossible to resell and may or may not work well, depending on your skill/knowledge.

Skilled hatchers have difficulties with shipped eggs. Only try to hatch eggs that you get locally from trusted BYC'ers.

You will find that hatching your own eggs to get chicks on a small scale will cost several times the price of purchasing hatchling chicks. If you are doing it for fun, then have at it! If you are doing it for economy, forget it.

Do you feel rain landing on your parade?

John

On the eggs for sale at the farmer's markets - the rules vary from county to county. You need to look at your particular county.

My county and the next one over allows the sale of shell eggs with no restrictions.

Okay I got pics tonight. I have a problem. Someone take my camera. Here is Mr Cricket. He is almost 4 months.
He's beautiful! I love the red on his wings but that's why I kept my roo too ;)
Got to see Patrick today too. His Cream Legbar breeding program is sounding wonderful. It won't be long and everyone can start getting on his list for chicks.
:) already messaged him! ;)

Back
Top Bottom