INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Originally Posted by minmin1258
Just t let everyone know, daughter is home and regaining her strength quickly! Results are good so far, but she's not able to eat solid food at all and the doctor said she has a severe case of Siliacs disease and is lactose intolerant. So she's allergic to ALL wheat products and dairy. Vegetables and fruit irritates the bowel and red meat blocks the bowel... So what's th poor girl supposed t eat?
minmin ~ We're relieved that your daughter didn't have something worse! She should ask the doctor should to line her up with a dietitian who can make food lists and meal ideas. I would think that they sent her home with dietary information since it is so important for her recovery. When I was in my early thirties, my allergist put me on an allergy diet (looking back, I think I was just a "guinea pig" for research). Anyway, I had lots of little injections of different foods and tested positive for most. So they gave me a list of foods that I could eat, which included: Dove, Squirrel, Deer, etc.-- in other words, foods I never ate (and never would eat!) I had to order things like Rice Bread, but there are many more products available today--even in regular grocery stores. She'll have to read labels because many products have ingredients that you wouldn't even think would be added. Corn and wheat is added in some form to many foods. After she gets the info she needs from her doctor, she could find support groups online-- it's best to find one through a medical site or celiac disease site. It will take her time to adjust to a new diet, but she'll be rewarded with feeling much better. Best wishes to her and all of you.
Originally Posted by CCCCCCCCHICKENS
A just got a production red for free, along with some others (including way under fed leghorns). Boy does she have an attitude, but a great personality overall. She reminds me so much of a golden comet I used to have. The production red looks like M2H's Nene's long lost sister lol. Comb and everything. Nice order! Honestly I don't even talk to my friends about chickens any more, because I seriously think they get annoyed with. As does most of my family (besides my dad). Everyone on here understands!
CCCCHICKENS~ It sounds like your new red chicken acts like Nene as well as looks like her!

Everyone ~ Stay safe in the bad weather! Be careful walking and driving! I slipped in the freezing rain when I let the hens out at 7:00am. Well, I tried to let them out, but they took one look at the ice and started complaining. So I got some straw from the garage to make them a path, and I immediately slipped on the ice and fell! The hens told me to get up off my rear-end and get them some treats! lol I made them an area in the garage where they could hang out since they like to lay eggs in a box there. Here's a quick pic of four of them-- the other two were in the box. The freezing rain and sleet continued all day. Now we're supposed to get 4-6" snow to cover the ice. Hopefully, this will be the last winter storm!!
Yikes M2H hope you are ok! I have fell a few times out here, I usually have so many layers on, I just laugh.. but am still sore the next day too.
The girls look like they are grateful for the straw and blanket you have for them!
We only got a few inches here, looks like you guys are still getting a lot! Fingers crossed this is the last of it, soooo done with the cold and snow.
I am with you, am really ready for it to be spring. My poor birds are too. My youngest geese were very unhappy there was snow again, poor babies.
The smallest still has a baby voice, and is so miserable. I put water inside their coop for her, and gave her a big helping of chick feed.
She really needs the extra proteins. Her hatchmates are still much bigger, so she will probably always be small.
My scovies will go back out Wednesday YAY! They are really unhappy being cooped up in the porch.
They are all getting along very well. No fights between My oldest drake and the 2 new boys, surprised me but Stanley is ignoring them.
My favorite duck Huey is head over heels with the black drake Darkwing is his name per DD, I am just soo happy Huey likes him.
They will make some beautiful ducklings. Lavender drake is HUGE, bigger than Stanley! They are all finally taking food from my hands.
I have dragged my feet putting them out because I wanted to be sure we were "friends" before they went outdoors.
Will wait a few weeks before they are allowed free range, and pond access.

jchny~ Layers of clothes? At 7:00am on Sunday morning, I had on my festive snowflake bathrobe. lol
lol.png
Luckily, I wasn't hurt at all, but it happened so fast. It crosses my mind sometimes that if I slip in conditions like that, I could lay on the ground and freeze to death before DH noticed me missing. After the chickens pecked on me, my DH would find a frozen carcass formerly known as his DW!
sad.png

Your geese and ducks are so special. You are an animal whisperer, for sure.
smile.png
I am going to take your advice and try getting to know my five chicks one by one. I haven't taken one away from the others before because I was afraid the one I took and the ones left would freak out and be frantically calling each other. I ran out of live mealworms, which they came to expect for a treat each evening. (They've trained me just like the hens did!)
roll.png
I've been buying them at the local pet food store while I've spent hours looking online for the best prices and shipping instead of just ordering them from Petco like pginsber advised. I'd find a better price, but then when I'd start ordering, the overnight shipping charge would suddenly increase. I'm just going to order some tomorrow from Petco and not spend hours comparison shopping. Tonight, I put some tiny sunflower kernels in my hand and the chicks gathered around and looked disappointed that they weren't moving like the little mealworms did. I shook my hand a little, but they couldn't be fooled. They ate a few out of curiosity-- or maybe just to be polite.
tongue.png

jchny~ Layers of clothes? At 7:00am on Sunday morning, I had on my festive snowflake bathrobe. lol
lol.png
Luckily, I wasn't hurt at all, but it happened so fast. It crosses my mind sometimes that if I slip in conditions like that, I could lay on the ground and freeze to death before DH noticed me missing. After the chickens pecked on me, my DH would find a frozen carcass formerly known as his DW!
sad.png

Your geese and ducks are so special. You are an animal whisperer, for sure.
smile.png
I am going to take your advice and try getting to know my five chicks one by one. I haven't taken one away from the others before because I was afraid the one I took and the ones left would freak out and be frantically calling each other. I ran out of live mealworms, which they came to expect for a treat each evening. (They've trained me just like the hens did!)
roll.png
I've been buying them at the local pet food store while I've spent hours looking online for the best prices and shipping instead of just ordering them from Petco like pginsber advised. I'd find a better price, but then when I'd start ordering, the overnight shipping charge would suddenly increase. I'm just going to order some tomorrow from Petco and not spend hours comparison shopping. Tonight, I put some tiny sunflower kernels in my hand and the chicks gathered around and looked disappointed that they weren't moving like the little mealworms did. I shook my hand a little, but they couldn't be fooled. They ate a few out of curiosity-- or maybe just to be polite.
tongue.png

LOL I am as bad! I am out checking on everyone so often, Glad we don't have neighbors close. They would think I am nuts
lau.gif

You aren't kidding I wonder at times if I have a bad fall if someone will find me! All they have to do is follow my path in the snow lol if I go missing.
Mealworms are really easy to raise. I forget I have them sometimes. They really thrive off the chick feed.
I put potato, or other veggie peelings in when I have them. I keep all of the colonies dry to prevent other insects moving in.
They got apple peelings tonight but i wont feed them again for a week or so. They also make really good bait for fishing.

LOL I am as bad! I am out checking on everyone so often, Glad we don't have neighbors close. They would think I am nuts
lau.gif

You aren't kidding I wonder at times if I have a bad fall if someone will find me! All they have to do is follow my path in the snow lol if I go missing.
Mealworms are really easy to raise. I forget I have them sometimes. They really thrive off the chick feed.
I put potato, or other veggie peelings in when I have them. I keep all of the colonies dry to prevent other insects moving in.
They got apple peelings tonight but i wont feed them again for a week or so. They also make really good bait for fishing.
you guys sound like me up all hours checking on critters. I am not having any luck with my meal worms. had them for 2 mths and NOTHING!!!! I have then in branmeal I think cant remember now but any way I give them a slice of apple then a slice of potato, carrots, what ever. they really like the carrots. but still NOTHING... I'm about to give up.

I wouldn't freeze to death if I fell, I have tattle tails that go out with me, found out last winter, if I get hurt, I get told on by my LGD's. Thats what you guys need to get, they are great livestock protectors too!!!!
smack.gif
nothing gets by them.

I still don't have any babies yet, hoping she will hold off for better weather.
fl.gif

Get to go pick up my girl from the vet today.
yesss.gif

[COLOR=800080]minmin ~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]We're relieved that your daughter didn't have something worse! She should ask the doctor should to line her up with a dietitian who can make food lists and meal ideas. I would think that they sent her home with dietary information since it is so important for her recovery. When I was in my early thirties, my allergist put me on an allergy diet (looking back, I think I was just a "guinea pig" for research). Anyway, I had lots of little injections of different foods and tested positive for most. So they gave me a list of foods that I could eat, which included: Dove, Squirrel, Deer, etc.-- in other words, foods I never ate (and never would eat!) I had to order things like Rice Bread, but there are many more products available today--even in regular grocery stores. She'll have to read labels because many products have ingredients that you wouldn't even think would be added. Corn and wheat is added in some form to many foods. After she gets the info she needs from her doctor, she could find support groups online-- it's best to find one through a medical site or celiac disease site. It will take her time to adjust to a new diet, but she'll be rewarded with feeling much better. Best wishes to her and all of you.[/COLOR]
[rule]Originally Posted by CCCCCCCCHICKENS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A just got a production red for free, along with some others (including way under fed leghorns). Boy does she have an attitude, but a great personality overall. She reminds me so much of a golden comet I used to have. The production red looks like M2H's Nene's long lost sister lol. Comb and everything. Nice order! Honestly I don't even talk to my friends about chickens any more, because I seriously think they get annoyed with. As does most of my family (besides my dad). Everyone on here understands!  
[COLOR=CC6633]CCCCHICKENS~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]It sounds like your new red chicken acts like Nene as well as looks like her! [/COLOR]
[rule]

I swear they are long lost sisters lol. I will have to get some pictures of her soon. Of it makes you feel better you weren't there only test subject lol. But mine started when I was little.

Back
Top Bottom