INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Can't wait to see a pic of jchny2000's new puppy. I have one from same litter they they are all gorgeous looking. They are Aussie collie and blue heeler mix. Wonderful pups

sent from your friendly neighborhood poultry raiser! cluck... cluck...

Saturday morning pond party -- At first I thought we were just having the usual crowd show up: redheads, wood ducks, mallards, a heron and a couple of geese. Then about 15 minutes ago we had a few more geese arrive, this time with a white goose! It's all white with some black on its back end. I didn't see it spread its wings, but I'm guessing the black is on the wing tips. There are no ducks like that. It's a lot smaller than the canadian geese, but I'm pretty sure larger than Benji's ancona ducks, so I'm sure it is a goose. The neck is also a lot shorter than the other geese. According to Whatbird.com online I found 2 possibilities: a snow goose or a ross's goose. It looks like both of those. The ross's goose migrates to extreme northern Canada to breed and winters over in southern US (Texas area)/northern Mexico. Indiana is about 3 states too far east to be on its migratory path. The snow goose breeds in northern Canada & northeastern Siberia and winters over in southcentral US (Louisiana, Mississippi, etc). All of Indiana is on its migratory path. So I'm guessing it's a snow goose. I'm kind of surprised it's alone, though. I would have thought all geese fly in groups, although maybe it actually is migrating with the canadian geese??

So I have 11 chicks out and screaming! I haven't had anything hatch in the last 24 hours; when do I give up on the other eggs? Is there anything I can do to check them? The one that piped but didn't hatch I don't think was positioned properly :(

Calling all you EE experts.... If you can make heads or tails out of these pictures, (they are wild beasts that dont hold still) can you tell if we really have all pullets at this age? They are a month old. I don't know much about EE's other than boys get red in the shoulders. I'm not seeing any of that so far.
There are 7 of them.

@PeacefulWalls Love your pond photos. I've always wanted to have water on my property. Even just a little creek would make me happy.
We got our pond by default when we built our house. The water table is high enough here that we couldn't dig as deep as we wanted. So instead of bringing in extra fill dirt to go around the house we just took it from our backyard! We made the end closest to the house gradually slope down and lined it with sand. The we also brought in another load of sand to create a mini beach. When it warms up enough we can swim in the pond. I think the deep end was dug 18 or 20 feet so it does get deep! My son bought an inflatable boat last summer to paddle around in and he's anxious to try to fish this summer for the fish we stocked. Plus my husband rebuilt a cabin that was taken down at our church camp when the girls's cabins there were rebuilt. The kids like to have friends spend the weekend out there when it's warm enough (no cabin heat). Our own little staycation vacation spot here! (The pic makes it look farther away than it really is -- our backyard is no way near that far out!) [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Here are my babies that are 2 weeks old today. The 2 light colored ones below started out completely buff colored. My newest broody girl. We gave her 10 eggs this past Sunday. The broodies seem to like the rabbit nest boxes!
Would you be speaking of Camp Friendenswald? I remember helping to remove one of those girls cabins. That is one of my favorite places to be! I am originally from Berne.

Calling all you EE experts.... If you can make heads or tails out of these pictures, (they are wild beasts that dont hold still) can you tell if we really have all pullets at this age? They are a month old. I don't know much about EE's other than boys get red in the shoulders. I'm not seeing any of that so far.
There are 7 of them.

i usually go by combs and hackles on them. sent from your friendly neighborhood poultry raiser! cluck... cluck...

The pallet coop is now ready for the roof!!!!!!!!
Here are a few pics of what I got done today.

Here is a pic of how I connect the walls.
Trust me it's very solid.

A pallet 2x4 cut to length in the corners on ever pallet.

And to connect the pallets together to make a wall was the same concept scrap 2x4 screwed to each pallet

Then the start to my door header

And this is it so far ready for the roof

And now I need a break!
I'm still impressed by how fast things are going and how the cold is not slowing you down one bit. Our new run is 90% done but the cold is preventing DH from finishing it the rest of the way. If hawks were nonexistent, the run would be usable. But the government got involved. I'm not a big fan of the government getting involved in as many things as they do.

Well, Ive had a bad good day...LOL that doesnt make much sense does it? Started out by Crook crying like crazy this morning squawking and fussing so much I picked her up to my chest
and held her for a while and she loved it
ya.gif
. My Momma stopped by and laughed at me for being such a softy and hooked on "something" just a day and a half old
love.gif
. The DSL guy showed up
and I now have internet access, NO MORE I4s auto correct errors!
wee.gif
YAY! After Lunch the little girl I babysit started a fever, started at 99.4, an hour later was 102.6. her Mommy came home after two calls
somad.gif
(I would have bn there in 10 minutes). I went to chk on little Crook and get her to feed her and give her a dose of vitamins, she died
hit.gif
. My "D"H came home and
immediately "demanded" something to eat...what the H..., days just gone down hill from there. Im ready for a vacation...does anyone have a spare room??? Lol. grrrrrrrrr!
I have special food for the days my DH comes home hungry and cranky. Not great food just stuff that I can give to him and say here you fix it yourself and not feel too bad. Typically either sandwich stuff or canned pasta or frozen leftovers. Even then if the first words out of DH when he gets home are about what he will be eating next, he knows I will not be happy about it. At least for now he has started asking "so what do I need to do extra for the chickens today" or the next best thing "do you have MORE chicks hatching today?" It has been a while since I have hatched chicks, at least a week :) but it did not take DH long to notice the newly filled bator.

Early Friday morning pond party count: 3 pairs of redhead ducks & 1 pair of geese. The wood ducks showed up around noon yesterday and they all stayed throughout the day. I'm wondering if they will return today. Oh -- and around 5 pm last evening I counted 25 geese on the pond with another 15 in the field right next to us. We'd prefer if they would find another pond to hang out in. 1 or 2 I don't mind so much, but not 25
tongue.gif
!

If you're able to make the first picture bigger you can actually see a pair of redheads. The male has the red head. Unfortunately I couldn't zoom in any more & I didn't want to get right up to the pond in case I would scare them away.

I took this standing in the front of our barn. There were a few hiding in the tall grasses/weeds at the back of the pond. I think having our geothermal furnace empty water into the pond helped it thaw faster. The water enters the pond right behind where the tree stump is sitting. There was an area of water right there that never froze all winter long. Sure wished it looked more like spring in these pics instead of fall!!
I love the wood ducks.

Back
Top Bottom