INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Ok so hubby and I went out and checked over a few of the chickens for mites or lice and found nothing... Could they just have dry skin? I'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow to post for a better idea.

Love the stories!
Hate the quarantine time too.

How do you know chickens don't have that many thoughts?  :)

Ya I disagree, my roo seems to look at me and I swear I can hear his thoughts. Like "how will I torment her today?" Or "she is the enemy! ATTACK!" I think he is unstable one day he is nice and eats out of my hand and the next he is trying to attack me in my own yard. His days are numbered...

If anyone is wanting Coturnix Quail eggs send me a P.M. I am getting between 30 and 50 per day and can make a great deal on fertile hatching eggs, chicks, or adult birds.. Also if anyone close by has a Large cabinet incubator and would like to hatch, I will Provide the eggs free for half of the chicks that hatch..
Please send a P.M. I am Tied up this spring and have trouble keeping up on all the posts in this thread..

What's for breakfast?????

Ok so hubby and I went out and checked over a few of the chickens for mites or lice and found nothing... Could they just have dry skin? I'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow to post for a better idea.
If it's scaley leg mites the scales on the legs and feet will look raised and gnarly. You won't actually see mites, just raised scales.

Normal legs have nice, flat-laying scales that are not raised or lumpy.

Here is an example:
Scaly-Leg-Mite-chicken-2-705x940.jpg

If you could post a photo of the feet that are making you think there is a problem that might be helpful.

You said they picked off the scales - are their feet bloody or irritated looking in any way?

Last edited:
A half teaspoon per gallon

Thanks!

Is it liquid or powder?

Sorry forgot to mention that it's the powder! :)

Anyone know anything about pool liners?  We patched 2 holes in ours this year.  I went ahead and got an estimate to have the liner replaced in case the patch did not hold.  I have to say I am stunned by what the pool place charges. 

There was one of those round above ground pools here when we bought our place. We decided it was to much of a liability with our kids being so young and it was blocking the view of our backyard. what's the point of having average if you can't see it :D so hubby dismantled it and swapped his uncle for a tractor, which now doesn't run :( but that's a whole nother story. Anyway I think they paid about $2000 for a new liner when he got it put back together.

I'm pretty the dosage for powder and liquid are different due to different strengths. I will double check but I believe I use 1/2 teaspoon in a quart of water with the powder.

So I took a picture of their feet this morning but byc isn't letting me upload it... I can post it on the fb page though if that will help. Most aren't red but the roo seems like his feet hurt, so I think they may be sore at least.

Ok so while I was outside earlier, I noticed some of my chickens had picked the scales off the webbing from between their toes!! After a Google search I found out that it's mites.... So how do I get rid of them and then also prevent them from coming back??? We're very new to this but I would like to be as natural as possible. We have a dirt floor with pine shavings and grass clippings mixed in. I have also been adding lemon balm leaves and some mint leaves once a week when I turn the bedding and add new. What else should I be doing/not doing?? Thanks in advance!

If you've been answered, then just ignore me!
Rub Vaseline on all if their feet. Reapply in 3 days. That's the most natural. Otherwise treat the coop and chickens with sevindust. You can mix it into the Vaseline.

So I took a picture of their feet this morning but byc isn't letting me upload it... I can post it on the fb page though if that will help. Most aren't red but the roo seems like his feet hurt, so I think they may be sore at least.

Try posting again here if possible.

Have you looked at the bottom of the feet? Are there any swellings that look infected? Any dark spots on the bottoms of the feet? You may have to wash the feet to be able to see well.

Back
Top Bottom